Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

6/27 update

I took yesterday off like I said I would, but I decided to work on the BMS today.

I am watching a bunch of YouTube videos and quadruple checking my BMS instructions to make sure I get the wiring correct. I have half of the BMS wires soldered, the other half are labeled and waiting to be soldered tomorrow.

Future thoughts...
I am really impressed with my ride this past weekend. Before starting the jurney to make this eBike I had done some research into DIY eletric motorcycles. I am keeping an eye out for a 1000cc sport bike (R1, GSXR 1000, ZX-10R, etc...) with engine problems (or high mileage). Something I can buy for around $1,000.

I've been a little 'goody two shoes' for the past 7 years, living a calm and mellow life. I think it's time to have a little fun (like I use to have when I owned my previous motorcycles). I need to sit down and figure out exactly what I want from this motorcycle (range, power, budget, etc...) and start doing research on parts.

I am wondering if I could build a 240v AC system? Why AC, and why 240v? Of course you want high volts low amps because the system will run cooler, but I'm also thinking that I should be able to source 240v AC components cheaper because of their wide spread prevalence in Europe, common home appliances, and commercial/industrial applications. The battery would be DC (of course) and i'd use something like a full wave bridge rectifier or DC to AC converter.

But all of this Electric motorcycle talk is for another thread at another time...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here are pictures of the homemade aero bars and the handle bar bag.

Front view with 1 liter bottle in the bag.

Side view

Notice how the bag deflects air from the pocket formed by the torso and upper legs.

This the 3 speed hub with the 13T and 16T gears installed
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
TexasElectric (07-01-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grant-53

That is pretty neat! Looks like you moved the shifters and brakes. Got to be careful of sharp corners/edges. With a setup like that i'd think it'd be easier to install some sort of wind shield in front of the aero bars (if you wanted to).

6/28 update

I finished soldering the remaining 8 BMS wires. I triple checked the voltage on each of the BMS leads. Everything looks good.

Thats all for today. More to come tomorrow!

The Following User Says Thank You to TexasElectric For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-28-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #94 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Will love to see more reports back from riding it. I am loving my ride these days.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Basic metal working means a safe radius on all components. I have a National fiberglass cowl piece that will fit between the bars. The big mistake is to mount a fairing out in front on the handle bars. This causes steering input from cross winds. Best to mount the nose to a boom fastened to the head tube and let the handle bars move inside it.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grant-53

"Best to mount the nose to a boom fastened to the head tube and let the handle bars move inside it." That makes sense, kind of like a sport bike motorcycle.

7/1 update

I almost have everything soldered. I spent the majority of the day soldering connectors to the 16 BMS cables and finishing up other small things.

I should have the bike ready to ride tomorrow evening. I am also planning to charge the battery for the first time tomorrow.

I will also plan to ride the bike to/from work on either Mon, Tues, or Wed.

Before I call the project complete, I want to custom fabricate a new set of rear torque arms, I'm working on a wooden mock up. Afterwards I'll get exact dimensions and get quotes from local fabricators to have the piece made (more than likely a simple/quick process with a water jet machine).

As far as my ride to work next week, I'll install the torque arms that I have but I plan to take it easy (around 20mph top speed, 500w-600w max power). The people I work with are dying to see it. I'll report back here with specifics about the battery status.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #97 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
FWIW, I have a 1000w motor that seems limited at Cali legal 750w. Mine is a gear motor, though, and so it produces more torque than a direct drive motor. All I have is one torque arm, and it has held perfectly for 3150+ miles. Solid.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
FWIW, I have a 1000w motor that seems limited at Cali legal 750w. Mine is a gear motor, though, and so it produces more torque than a direct drive motor. All I have is one torque arm, and it has held perfectly for 3150+ miles. Solid.
Yep, sounds like you're being really cautious for the power levels you're dealing with. I only ran one torque arm on my ebike and it was fine at 1000w. I wasn't easy on it, either, I would usually accelerate from stops at full throttle.

If you have regen, though, two torque arms can be handy. You can "pre-torque" one to resist acceleration more and the other to resist regen. This will help prevent the small amount of play you can have with most torque arms from allowing it to twist back and forth.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

California98Civic & vskid3

I feel more confident about only running the one torque arm, i'm still trying to get the second one installed (and i'm still giving consideration to fabricating a bracket).

7/3 update
I did a little bit of work this weekend, I got just about everything complete. I bought an angle grinder and spent this afternoon grinding down bolts for a better fit within the battery box.

I have off tomorrow and I'll work on the bike some more, (maybe even finish it).

Old 07-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Get your machine running the way you like it and we can then talk more about drag reduction. More speed or more range would be the goal without loss of safety or comfort.

Thanks for the photos and descriptions.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
32650, ebike