Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Inertia The energy contained in a moving or rotating body is not linear but quadratic to speed.
It takes 0.5 Joule to speed up that kilogram to 1 meter per second, it takes 2 Joule for 2 m/s, 4.5 for 3 m/s, etc.
Inertia if you mean the contained energy in your formula is not mass * radius but just mass * (radius ^ 2) / 2.

And remember, only the speed matters, not the direction; whether it is straight, turning slowly in a big circle or fast in a tiny circle is indifferent. Only its speed matters.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-10-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Inertia is not linear but quadratic to speed.
It takes 0.5 Joule to speed up that kilogram to 1 meter per second, it takes 2 Joule for 2 m/s, 4.5 for 3 m/s, etc.
Inertia, if you mean the contained energy, in your formula is not mass * radius but mass * (radius ^ 2) / 2.

And remember, only the speed matters, not the direction; whether it is straight, turning slowly in a big circle or fast in a tiny circle is indifferent. Only its speed matters.
You appear to be confusing the term "inertia" with "kinetic energy".

A mass M moving at a velocity V has a kinetic energy of 0.5 * M * V * V.

This however is not inertia.

Inertia is a measure of a body's resistance to changes in velocity.

It can be found from Newton's second law F = M * A and thus M = F / A

As there is no gravity in space, astronauts determine their mass (inertia) in a special device that applies a force and the rate of acceleration is measured. The rearranged Newtons 2nd equation is then used to calculate their mass (inertia).
The Following User Says Thank You to cr45 For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
What are some of the best tire setups you have tried and also best mileage increaser. I know the biggest difference comes from driving habits. I am just curios to see what mods helped most too.
The received wisdom in the air-cooled VW world is to downsize the fronts. Keep the 165-15 in back for traction, and go to 135- or 145-15 in front. And put the nose on the ground.

Something closer to your front-wheel drive platform is the Rabbit pickups I've seen at the drag races. They run short, wide tires in front and tall, narrow tires in back. Maybe 14s and 16s?

Agree with CapriRacer at Permalink #7. Settle on the tire and then pick the wheel; and it's width (affects sidewall stiffness and turn-in).

Old 04-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr45 View Post
You appear to be confusing the term "inertia" with "kinetic energy".

A mass M moving at a velocity V has a kinetic energy of 0.5 * M * V * V.

This however is not inertia.

Inertia is a measure of a body's resistance to changes in velocity.

It can be found from Newton's second law F = M * A and thus M = F / A

As there is no gravity in space, astronauts determine their mass (inertia) in a special device that applies a force and the rate of acceleration is measured. The rearranged Newtons 2nd equation is then used to calculate their mass (inertia).
You are right. Inertia is mass (resistance to change speed), and rotational inertia is resistance to change rotational motion.
A bigger wheel has way bigger rotational inertia, but it covers a much larger distance than a smaller wheel rotating bat the same speed.

In the end what matters is how fast the thread moves - that's the same as the speed of the car, regardless of the size of the wheels.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
You are right. [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia"]...
In the end what matters is how fast the thread moves - that's the same as the speed of the car, regardless of the size of the wheels.
Well, my tires are in contact with the ground. When in contact with the ground the tread has zero forward motion. The car is still going 45 mph. The only thing on a wheel that is going the speed of the car is the axle. The top of the tire is going twice the speed of the car or 90 mph. Or is my thinkin' stinkin'...?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
Well, my tires are in contact with the ground. When in contact with the ground the tread has zero forward motion. The car is still going 45 mph. The only thing on a wheel that is going the speed of the car is the axle. The top of the tire is going twice the speed of the car or 90 mph. Or is my thinkin' stinkin'...?
I believe this is once again where a discussion spins off about linear and angular velocity.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Tire Geek

I strongly suspect that the rotating mass of the tire causes an insignificant affect on fuel economy - that even a significantly wider tire barely changes the actual fuel consumption. I suspect this because the car manufacturers continue to go to wider and wider tires.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Ahh, the march of progress.

Admittedly you get two more doors and it holds the brakes for you so you don't roll backward in neutral.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
On average every part of your wheels is moving forward at the same speed as the rest of your car. So the forward motion part of inertia is equal to fixed parts of the same mass.
Then it also takes energy to spin up the wheel; slightly less than the forward motion requires. The total inertia is the sum of both; slightly less than twice the mass of the wheel.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky
Ahh, the march of progress.
Similarly, over it's production run, the Beetle went from 25hp/40mpg to 50hp/28mpg.