Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

KLR650 - '10 Kawasaki KLR650

6.4 - '19 Ram 3500

All Black - '19 Kawasaki Vulcan S
My regular cab, 1 ton Dodge is too long for my garage (20x20). You will need a very large garage to hold such a large truck and be able to maneuver around it.

It's nice though to have a 26x30 parking pad next to the garage...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
So, going by your comment you store all your furniture and other possessions outside too?
No, I keep the (indoor) furniture and such where it will be used. (Or in the case of smaller outdoor items, where they won't blow away or otherwise disappear.) I really spend very little time driving my cars indoors, and they have lock so they can't easily be stolen.

Quote:
I value my possessions and take steps to keep them in good condition.
Well, so do I, so I change the oil and do other maintenance as needed. Thing is, cars are designed to spend their time outdoors.

Quote:
I am interested in your contention that it is problematical to be concerned with preserving the value of an asset.
Cars do not preserve value, they depreciate. They depreciate just as much whether they're garaged or not.

Quote:
Leaving it outside will decrease its value as well as reducing safety - one example being when you get into a car that has been sitting in the sun and is so hot that you cannot touch the seats or steering wheel without getting burnt.
That is why I carry a spray bottle of water with me, for those times when I park in a parking lot - say at the grocery store - and come back to a hot interior. But this is a comfort issue, not a safety one, unless people are foolish enough to drive when seats, steering wheel &c are painfully hot. And if they are, it becomes a Darwinian one :-)

Quote:
No, because it is illogical and an attempt to enforce my value system upon another person.
No, because you've been trying to enforce your value system of putting vehicles (including your trailer!) in garages on the rest of us, refusing to accept that, at least in most places in the US, that this is not what people generally do.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
No, because you've been trying to enforce your value system of putting vehicles (including your trailer!) in garages on the rest of us, refusing to accept that, at least in most places in the US, that this is not what people generally do.
That's a bit much, even for you.

Americans don't put their car in the garage because it is full of Walmart crap.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's a bit much, even for you.

Americans don't put their car in the garage because it is full of Walmart crap.
Mine's full of k-mart crap from 30 years ago, the Walmart crap in safely inside the house. I still can fit 2 cars, 4 motorcycles, and a waverunner in there. Now if only I could find any of those things in there...

24'x36' baby. We were walking through the house with the realtor. A homemade 70 year old, one bath job built by a sheep rancher and remodeled sometime in the 70's by an old lady. Anyway, it wasn't going too good until we went out back and here was this new, beautiful, heated, sheet rocked, insulated shop.

Last edited by Hersbird; 09-27-2016 at 11:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Cars do not preserve value, they depreciate. They depreciate just as much whether they're garaged or not.
Yes, cars depreciate but their value depends on their condition. So you can tell me that a car garaged outside in the sun and rain will not deteriorate faster than one garaged? I calls bull$h!t to that. The paint and interior of a car that is not garaged will age, fade and oxidize much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
That is why I carry a spray bottle of water with me, for those times when I park in a parking lot - say at the grocery store - and come back to a hot interior. But this is a comfort issue, not a safety one, unless people are foolish enough to drive when seats, steering wheel &c are painfully hot. And if they are, it becomes a Darwinian one :-)
So you say that you can cool a car down from 50+ degrees C to a comfortable temperature with just a spray bottle of water? It does become Darwinian here, and high humidity with high temperature inside a car while trying to concentrate on driving will weed out people much faster than a cool and air conditioned car. Is driving with a damp and sweaty steering wheel safe? Let me guess, you also carry a towel to dry it and a fan to get rid of the humidity.

Simon
Old 09-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Yes, cars depreciate but their value depends on their condition. So you can tell me that a car garaged outside in the sun and rain will not deteriorate faster than one garaged? I calls bull$h!t to that. The paint and interior of a car that is not garaged will age, fade and oxidize much more.
Any car I would drive depreciates on a saddle curve, down to the middle and then rising again over time, depending on the make and model. Last I checked my car's value (a year ago) it had risen $600 since it's purchase. And it's not even a bus!

But I'm a middle-of-the-roader. It's parked in a carport. If it was just washed — under a sheet of 4mm polyethylene.

The Bugatti in the lake:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...a/3695551.html
Quote:
Suitably prepped, it sold for around $370,000 at the Bonhams auction at Retromobile in Paris in January 2010; the buyer was Peter Mullin, he of the Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard, California.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I can't help but notice that this discussion has devolved into a pie fight that is only tangentially related to the original question, and the OP isn't participating.

StillSearching, if you're still there: I wonder if you actually need the bolt on extension you're talking about. You say your bed length is 16', my Toyota pickup is 15' long. Just how big a car are you wanting to be prepared for? And standard lumber lengths from the big box home centers top out at 16', so that's covered too.

As to tipping the trailer on its side, that gives me the willies just thinking about it. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I'm just saying I would hate to have to do it. You'd have to be 100% about getting things lined up for a perfect tip, because it would be crazy difficult to scoot it into a better position if it wasn't right once it was up.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I can't help but notice that this discussion has devolved into a pie fight that is only tangentially related to the original question, and the OP isn't participating.
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice
Last Activity: 09-15-2016 05:29 AM
I was trying to find some middle ground with the comment about my carport; but yeah...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
towing, trailer