Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
TriboTEX, unfortunately you can have whatever test/trial fabricated by whatever company or academic you want. (And I have written peer reviewed papers, and i have evaluated them aswell). So in real life the tests papers do not have any value.

Anyhow, i am willing to contribute 10 USD for a reputable member of this forum to try it on his car. 9 more contributors like me and we will know once and for all if it is any good. I would do the tests myself, but I do not have a steady car at the moment, My commute is not stable enough and i cannot perform the tests meticulously enough to be of any value for this forum.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Hey, I would match that. But it would have to be a postal money order to a snail mail address.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Anyone tried this yet?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Anyone tried this yet?
This stuff caught my eye on Amazon, came here to see if anyone had anything to say about it. Was not terribly disappointing but was hoping someone actually tested it and gave a review. My engine is pretty old and I know there's a concerning amount of copper, lead and iron in the used oil. So my need is probably greater than most.

I recently sent an oil sample to Blackstone Lab and they said my iron, copper and lead numbers (parts per million) where high and cause for concern. If I used this stuff, and sent another oil sample in and the numbers went back down, would that prove that this stuff works? Of course there's more changing in my engine than whats in the oil pan. I have the head off right now because a little coolant was getting the oil and its getting machined and rebuilt.

I like the idea of measuring the max torque needed to turn the crankshaft pulley, before and after adding this stuff. Seams very easy and simple.

Of course the ultimate test is to put the engine on the dyno.

I'm not inherently skeptical of oil additives, not as much as some folks on this forum by the looks of it. Engine Restore helped my chevy 350 burn less oil, and Lucas stops leak keeps my floor jack from leaking. However, I once had an old Buick that lost 4th gear shortly after putting in Lucas Transmission Fix.

And it might be risky putting something so new into your vehicle's engine. I mean even if its tested to be effective, what are the long term effects? I'm reminded of a motorcycle gas tank I bought, it was coated on the inside with a product called "kreem" which was supposed to keep the inside of the tank from rusting. After 20 years or so it had all flaked off and was clogging the carburetors. Worse though, it's virtually impossible to remove it. If you google it, you'll find hundreds of stories just like mine.

I use Shell Rotela T-6 5w-40 and it already has a good amount of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) and a little boron and moly too. I wonder if this TriboTEX stuff could improve on an already well performing oil with high levels of lubricity, protection, and film strength. Of course not all cars can use an oil with so much phosphorous - its bad on the catalytic converters - nor do they need to, what with modern cam rollers and all.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Just had a look at their kickstarter page. People have received them.

Lots of anectodal evidence saying they “feel” more power. Most people are reporting a reduction in noise.

I have to say that it works for the noise of the engine but I had not any improvement in fuel consumption ! My Prius hybrid has been always near 4.2 liter for 100km and it stayed before and after the usage, no difference even after 4000km after using the tribotex”

There is also a spritmonitor link:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detai...27.html?page=4

(May not be the same guy, but apparently Prii drivers keep better track of their FE.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Just had a look at their kickstarter page. People have received them.

Lots of anectodal evidence saying they “feel” more power. Most people are reporting a reduction in noise.

I have to say that it works for the noise of the engine but I had not any improvement in fuel consumption ! My Prius hybrid has been always near 4.2 liter for 100km and it stayed before and after the usage, no difference even after 4000km after using the tribotex”

There is also a spritmonitor link:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detai...27.html?page=4

(May not be the same guy, but apparently Prii drivers keep better track of their FE.
Hm, so it doesn't work for something he's equipped to measure (gas mileage read out), but does work for something he's not equipped to measure (engine noise).

Things that make you go "hm."
Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
On amazon reviews most people seem to like the prodct. But once you weed out the “whoow it is great reviews. There are a couple of people that claim 1-2 mpg gain. One claims a %3 improvement in fuel economy. Some say their car is quiet now. A few claim the engine has been restored and stopped smoking and oil pressure was up. Quite a few say it did nothing and one guy says his car does not run anymore.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
With my luck I'd be that one guy.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Who wants to chip in and buy freebeard some?!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
My offer for 10 bucks stands.

Reply  Post New Thread