Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OCDobject - '74 buick Apollo
90 day: 12.18 mpg (US)

Black Tardis - '13 Kia Soul Base
90 day: 30.64 mpg (US)
It was chilly and humid when I went to work the other day, so the car was covered in condensation. When I stopped for gas I looked at the way the airflow had affected the moisture on the car, and took some pictures with my cell phone. Sorry they're not very good, but it's a cheap phone that I only have because I need it for work. But what seems to be going on is that the airflow over the roof is about what you'd expect, until about three inches from the back glass, which is where the roof curves down to meet the back glass, at which point the moisture on the roof is completely undisturbed. The moisture on the back glass is likewise completely undisturbed. In fact it's not until you get to about the middle of the trunk lid that the moisture shows signs of airflow again. Which would seem to indicate that the airflow is detaching from the roof at the point where it begins to slope down towards the back glass and does not reattach until approximately the middle of the trunk lid. Which presents the question: Is it better to encourage the airflow to remain attached, such as with some VGs? Or is it better to encourage the airflow to remain detached by putting some sort of extension onto the roof so that the downward moving air misses the back of the car entirely?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airflowroof.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	22089   Click image for larger version

Name:	airflowbackglass.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	22090   Click image for larger version

Name:	airflowtrunklid.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	22091  
aerohead (06-30-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
here,you can see Pininfarina doing this with the CNR car they developed between 1976 and '78

here,GM use lamp-black and kerosene to sort out their 1963 Sting Ray
Makes you wonder where cars would be today if car makers had continued along this line of development. Since cars became decidedly less aerodynamic in the late 70's early 80's and it seems that only now, over the last ten years or so, have they started getting rounded out and made more aerodynamic again.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'd say just the opposite. Review this: An Illustrated History Of Automotive Aerodynamics: Part 3 (1960 – Present)

The 80s is the 'jelly bean' era, precipitated by the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable. The first American cars with the headlight reflectors mounted in aerodynamic buckets, following (of course) the VW Beetle in the 30s.

Contemporary cars have lost the 'jelly bean' look, especially in the back, and have more sculpted sides.

As for your question posted three minutes earlier; depends on the installation, a Kammback is probably the winner.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Kyleyadon (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd say just the opposite. Review this: An Illustrated History Of Automotive Aerodynamics: Part 3 (1960 – Present)

The 80s is the 'jelly bean' era, precipitated by the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable. The first American cars with the headlight reflectors mounted in aerodynamic buckets, following (of course) the VW Beetle in the 30s.

Contemporary cars have lost the 'jelly bean' look, especially in the back, and have more sculpted sides.

As for your question posted three minutes earlier; depends on the installation, a Kammback is probably the winner.
You're probably right, on both counts. But I was thinking about how cars went from being rounded and sleek, to boxy and angular. I've got a '74 Buick Apollo, and while compared to either of the vehicles pictured above, it's a brick, compared to my grandmother's '83 Chevy Impala it possesses a dart like sleekness. And the difference is even more pronounced when looking at SUV type vehicles. An 80's era Jeep Grand Cherokee looks like a box on wheels, while the current 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee looks like it was modeled after a space craft from some futuristic sci-fi series, very sleek and aerodynamic.

I agree about the Kammback, and I think that in the near future I may build a test model out of cardboard, with the miles I drive every day it shouldn't take long to get an idea as to how well, or poorly, it's working.

P.S. The Aptera, pictured in the article you shared, looks a lot like the Elio that just started selling this year.

Last edited by Kyleyadon; 06-25-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleyadon View Post
[snip]...
P.S. The Aptera, pictured in the article you shared, looks a lot like the Elio that just started selling this year.
HAVE they actually *sold & delivered" ANY vehicles yet?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-26-2017), Kyleyadon (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
HAVE they actually *sold & delivered" ANY vehicles yet?
On further investigation, no they have not. In fact despite the 65k+ paid reservations, they've pushed the launch date back to 2018 and are claiming financial problems as the reason why. What a shame.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The thread on this runs 172 pages since 2013-01.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-24513.html
Kyleyadon (06-27-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
here,you can see Pininfarina doing this with the CNR car they developed between 1976 and '78

here,GM use lamp-black and kerosene to sort out their 1963 Sting Ray
Looks like Photobucket has changed their services and I can no longer share or link any of my 71-pages of aero images without paying them an annual fee.
At first blush,I can't conceive of paying out any new expenses.After Medicare kicked in,my monthly income is equivalent to around $4/hour.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Is it better to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleyadon View Post
It was chilly and humid when I went to work the other day, so the car was covered in condensation. When I stopped for gas I looked at the way the airflow had affected the moisture on the car, and took some pictures with my cell phone. Sorry they're not very good, but it's a cheap phone that I only have because I need it for work. But what seems to be going on is that the airflow over the roof is about what you'd expect, until about three inches from the back glass, which is where the roof curves down to meet the back glass, at which point the moisture on the roof is completely undisturbed. The moisture on the back glass is likewise completely undisturbed. In fact it's not until you get to about the middle of the trunk lid that the moisture shows signs of airflow again. Which would seem to indicate that the airflow is detaching from the roof at the point where it begins to slope down towards the back glass and does not reattach until approximately the middle of the trunk lid. Which presents the question: Is it better to encourage the airflow to remain attached, such as with some VGs? Or is it better to encourage the airflow to remain detached by putting some sort of extension onto the roof so that the downward moving air misses the back of the car entirely?
It depends.
Hucho suggests that for the optimum drag reduction,you'd convert the notchback to a Kammback.
However,there is evidence that it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.
Evidently,we'd have to consider each vehicle on a case-specific basis.And there's no apriori way to predict any specific outcome.Which sucks!
Kyleyadon (07-07-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Looks like Photobucket has changed their services and I can no longer share or link any of my 71-pages of aero images without paying them an annual fee.
https://www.google.com/search?q=photobucket+3rd+party+hosting

PCMag reports it 6hrs ago, Ghacks Technology News 9hrs ago.

If you still have access of your own, it's not ransomware. Be looking for a download manager or utility to suck down everything behind your log-in page.

https://www.google.com/search?q=website+downloader

aerohead (07-08-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread