Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Better solutions often have a worse price tag. That's kinda sad.

Anyway, would a swamp-cooler be a viable option? They're very popular among truckers in my country.
I think a Swamp Cooler would be good for temporary use around town but for extended trips some kind of true air conditioning system is needed especially if I ever want to venture off to the South or on a summer trip.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #82 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
.....This is one of the big advantages of the AC window units is that you have everything there minus the inverter. Everything is a contained complete system designed to work together all ready so no figuring out on my part...........
can you give me an idea of where/how the hot exhaust gets vented outside?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #83 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
I think a Swamp Cooler would be good for temporary use around town but for extended trips some kind of true air conditioning system is needed especially if I ever want to venture off to the South or on a summer trip.
Swamp-coolers are less energy-expensive, but their efficiency is more linked to dry climates, in opposition to a conventional air-conditioner that works better in a more humid environment. Anyway, you might have already noticed the availability of 12V portable swamp-coolers.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 PM   #84 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Could you use AC to just dehumidify the air and then use a swamp cooler?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
can you give me an idea of where/how the hot exhaust gets vented outside?
Sure first thing is to reduce the windows in the Centurion. The ones that are going to get deleted are the two side windows and the rear hatch window. These windows are not needed so I will be foaming them in and composite them into the roof piece. This will help further reduce AC and heating needs. There is window overload for a car the size of the Centurion in my opinion.

I will use scoops for not only the cabin venting but also the AC rear hatch venting. The Roof hatch vent will be from a Camaro SS Hood flipped so that it works as an exhaust rather than a scoop. This will be positioned toward the rear window break and the roof in a way that is streamlined so it smoothly transitions without bulging like in a hood scoop. There are two different sizes for the Camaro SS hood scoop. The mini size scoop is what I will be using and it is 30" long and 18" wide. This is big enough to properly vent the AC and fill in the rear hatch window void. I will be using an Kubota Orange decal like the decals used in the second and third pictures. The base color of the car will be black with Kubota Orange and white for details.

The side vents will help to vent the interior cabin space which is also needed. I am not set on which ones I will be using for this just yet as they do not need to be all that big. So still searching for these at the moment.

So that is the plan so far to deal with the air conditioner exhaust heat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Centurion Hood Scoop #1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	18208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Centurion Hood Scoop #2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	18209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Centurion Hood Scoop #3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	18210  
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (07-03-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #86 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Could you use AC to just dehumidify the air and then use a swamp cooler?
Some slaughterhouses and butcheries use this trick to reduce the weight loss of the meat, and it also decreases the energy output required to lower the temperature because of the higher thermal conductibility of the water compared to dry air.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Swamp-coolers are less energy-expensive, but their efficiency is more linked to dry climates, in opposition to a conventional air-conditioner that works better in a more humid environment. Anyway, you might have already noticed the availability of 12V portable swamp-coolers.
I have been doing a little research into these swamp coolers and from what I have found any humidity above 30% pretty much renders them useless. You need to be in the dry arid desert to get the benefit of these guys. So for me this is a no go from what it looks like.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #88 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I have been doing a little research into these swamp coolers and from what I have found any humidity above 30% pretty much renders them useless. You need to be in the dry arid desert to get the benefit of these guys. So for me this is a no go from what it looks like.
I regularly see swamp-coolers in places where the humidity is above 30% by a far margin. Sure they start losing their effectiveness in such situations, but they do still provide some cooling until the humidity reaches 70 to 80%, I don't remember exactly right now. Anyway, it can be combined with an air-conditioner to improve its effectiveness.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:24 AM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I've already seen folks replacing their 220V AC compressors with 12V DC ones (Danfoss) in fridges and stationary air conditioners to use them in motorhomes. That might work out and eliminate the need for an inverter.
And they work excellent as far as fridges go. I have one in the fridge and one in a separate freezer unit. But as GreenHornet mentions, they are a bit pricey. The plus is, the system (solar/battery based) to run them is significantly smaller and it's a far simpler system.
~CrazyJerry

Hey Guys,

I have been doing some more thinking on this and I might have found something that can be modified to work. I think this is what you guys were talking about in your earlier posts. It is a Portable freezer with a Danfoss compressor unit. It is marketed as the smallest portable freezer you can get it weighs like 19lbs LOL and is hand carry. Not only that I can use it as its intended purpose and make it to where its still portable. The unit also has cup holders which solves another interior problem. the dimensions of the unit fit in the center console of the car like a glove. Another thing I like is the fact that it is 12V and 120V so if I am on a trip I can take it into the hotel and use it

Anyways here is a link to the unit = Amazon.com: Dometic CDF-11 Smallest Portable Freezer/Refrigerator: Automotive

The unit is a little pricey but the good thing is this would end up being less than getting the window AC unit and inverter set up. This would also be more compact and far lighter. I guess you could call it Centurion sized
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable Freezer #1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	18219  
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (07-05-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #90 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

So are you considering to try a portable fridge as an air-conditioner? Or am I misunderstanding?

Reply  Post New Thread