Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #161 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I really wish it wasn't so but some or even oftentimes common sense re: vehicle specs needs to be legislated or it won't happen.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #162 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Even if the "nanny-state EPA" gets gutted and neutered as the current administration desires, I don't see us going back to carbs and shedding catalytic converters anytime soon. I expect "market forces" from abroad to keep US car makers thinking about fuel economy and emissions. Just on a personal level, think how car exhaust isn't nearly as smelly as it used to be. Customers are used to cleaner-smelling cars now.

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #163 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Even if the "nanny-state EPA" gets gutted and neutered as the current administration desires, I don't see us going back to carbs and shedding catalytic converters anytime soon. I expect "market forces" from abroad to keep US car makers thinking about fuel economy and emissions. Just on a personal level, think how car exhaust isn't nearly as smelly as it used to be. Customers are used to cleaner-smelling cars now.
Our automotive market, so long as it is protected will continue to "value add" increasing the cost of ownership of new vehicles.

This is done by auto companies to bolster dealership networks and the legislation that allows car construction is isolationist in nature.

So even if the EPA is gone tomorrow, much of the law that requires this or that has nothing to do with the EPA and many initiatives are hand written by the auto makers.

If the auto makers don't like the EPA, they should blame themselves for starting the whole mess in the first place, they can pay for their past sins.

I think the only way to bring choice into our auto market would be to eliminate gray market laws, period.

Anything else will allow the same old same old to continue onward.

The we can't because XXXX law says we can't will continue.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I think the only way to bring choice into our auto market would be to eliminate gray market laws, period.
What I would hope for then is a refurb Mexican Beetle bodies on an Inrekor flat-pack chassis and a pure electric drivetrain. Glass batteries, thank you very much.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #165 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But OTOH I want and need things like EFI and hybrids, but I sure wouldn't have gotten them if the US auto makers had been left to themselves.
Arab oil embargoes and the competition from Japanese automakers would eventually lead them to follow the efficiency bandwagon without any EPA mandate. Sure, there would have to be a lift on the grey-import ban.

Reply  Post New Thread