Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
I though this would fit well here:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
These 'trucklets' are the backbone of Europe, and I'm pretty sure they have these things call the Alps.

I'd happily drive mine anywhere, plenty of space (probably more than the standard US pickup as a big engine up from eats into foot space), three abreast can be tight for the passengers, but there's even a fold down arm rest for the driver. Ride is as good as my Prius, so I'd rather drive the Trafic long distance than anything else I've got. Probably why you see them up and down the Autobahns at 100mph all day long. Sits on 60mph at 2000rpm with complete silence from the engine (just wind and road noise).
Sometimes it seems like Americans are trapped in a bubble. Well, they are in fact trapped into one, set in place by the NHTSA and EPA as a protectionist measure. But anyway, even though some American full-size trucks, SUVs and vans are actually quite cool, many times an European or Asian van is going to outperform them in almost every aspect.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to hijack the thread, so now let's get back on focus.

Hadn't it been for European displacement-based taxation schemes, wouldin't it be so much better to pick a bigger and lower-revving engine, matched to some taller gearing to get the job done instead of the 1.9TDI? I know it might sound quite crazy at first, but something like a Cummins ISF3.8 swap into a Touareg or other similar-sized Euro SUV would be cool...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Hadn't it been for European displacement-based taxation schemes, wouldin't it be so much better to pick a bigger and lower-revving engine, matched to some taller gearing to get the job done instead of the 1.9TDI?
I think it would be better. Also the miniature engines, like the most recent 3-cylinder turbos, are optimised to meet emissions in very tight operating conditions. Who cares what happens outside of those conditions?

Mercedes met Euro 4 standards with the OM642 diesel without the need of a DPF.

Anyway, regarding engine size vs tow rating:
The same Sprinter sold in Europe and North America has the same tow rating. However, they did not sell the 2.2 liter versions in North America. 2.2 versions die an early death when subjected to the abuse of towing heavy loads. 2.7's on the other hand still truck along.
We all know that most van drivers are not mechanically empathic at all
Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
the miniature engines, like the most recent 3-cylinder turbos, are optimised to meet emissions in very tight operating conditions
It seems like the higher load factors are more detrimental to their initially-perceived advantage than the operating conditions (weather, traffic flow, among others).

Quote:
Mercedes met Euro 4 standards with the OM642 diesel without the need of a DPF.
DPF sometimes becomes a PITA, and it's even more problematic due to its interferences when some alternate fuels such as B-100 biodiesel or pure vegetable oils are in use. Running leaner on the main fuel and supplementing it with water and alcohol injection (eventually resorting to the residual water from the air-conditioner) would make more sense, and eventually also turn the SCR system redundant.

Quote:
Anyway, regarding engine size vs tow rating:
The same Sprinter sold in Europe and North America has the same tow rating. However, they did not sell the 2.2 liter versions in North America. 2.2 versions die an early death when subjected to the abuse of towing heavy loads. 2.7's on the other hand still truck along.
Look at this Brazilian truck, fitted with a 2.7L straight-5 for a 7-ton GVWR (that's the Euro-3 version):

Even though it was successful in the market, its Euro-5 replacement was fitted with a low-revving 4.8L straight-4.

Quote:
We all know that most van drivers are not mechanically empathic at all
My dad always says, people tend to drive worse whenever they're driving a work vehicle they don't actually own. It's the boss who's going to pay for a clutch replacement anyway
Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
They would get sued if they put the ratings higher and there was an accident. People sue car makers here all the time and win for what is clearly fault and neglect of the drivers involved. The people involved have limited money and the jurors see a crying family and big stack of money and give them a little peice of it.

I don't think the 6.7 injectors are indestructible but some injector places have put out their failure rate is 10 times less than the 5.9 common rail injectors are or ever have been. The 5.9 CR injectors are the one big black eye in the history of Cummins diesels in pickups. I would have probably not bought any 03-08 knowing how bad and how expensive the problem. The poor factory filtration didn't help matters but clearly the injectors needed an upgrade as well which they did on the 6.7.

It's good for me that so many love the pre-emission CR 5.9 anyway. Makes my old tired motor worth as much as a much fresher 6.7 out of a wreck. I probably will just sell the whole truck before it needs injectors and just get the better cab as well with the 2010up model. I have got my truck up to 20.9 mpg on a tank not towing and 12.5 towing the big camper so was pretty happy about that. My wife doesn't like the space much inside though.
Ratings don't have legal force. Period. We (everyone) runs oilfield loads way past "ratings". Except the ones that matter: tire/wheel/axle. Commercial enforcement. Insurance. The two forces that drive things.

The idea that some jury is going to make an award based on interpretation of "ratings" is hooey. The cause of accidents isn't anything to do with weight, it's driver error. Every time. Insurance covers, and everyone goes home. If not, find examples. This Internet UNtruth has been floating around for years. I've been towing over forty five years. Privately and commercially.

As to injectors. They wear out. Big truck or small. That the rate may be different between engine generations is plausible. Dodge finally made three fuel filter fuel
Cleaning by 2013 IIRC. Still at one on my '04, and supposedly that is not to Bosch standard.

But on an engine with a 350k expected life (10,000-hr at 35-mph average) one has to look at engine hours versus miles. Low mph = earlier failure. A 35-mph average is higher than nearly all owners experience. Lucky to hit thirty.

Injectors aren't going to last the life of the motor in that case. X-gallons point has been reached. 200k is about it on a 5.9 in most cases. Id wonder about the 6.7 being much better. That they "work" versus how well they work is the real question in my mind.

Those replacing injectors prematurely are those who dog the truck, alter the software and treat it poorly. Look at the annual average mpg reported (15) and you see treating it like a toy doesn't pay. The guys who ran them commercially of my acquaintance nearly always made it to near 300k before starting to replace injectors as needed. But those trucks were at the end of their service life. Oilfield is hell.

Oh, yeah. Truck rated at 20k GCVWR. We nearly always were above 30k. All those miles.

If you have a link to a discussion on 6.7 vs 5.9 injectors, I'd appreciate it. Thx

Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
My dad always says, people tend to drive worse whenever they're driving a work vehicle they don't actually own. It's the boss who's going to pay for a clutch replacement anyway
I actually treat my works van as if it was my own. I think I am the only one who does, mind you.
I keep getting stick from the rest of the guys because I return about 50% better mpg than anyone else! And that is without hypermiling!!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I keep getting stick from the rest of the guys because I return about 50% better mpg than anyone else! And that is without hypermiling!!
Do you also keep track of any other benefit of your driving style, such as a longer life of clutch packs and brake pads?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
As I don't drive the same van every time and don't know what maintenance they get when I am not there (I work part time), I have nothing to measure against.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #39 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Could we try to keep this topic conserning this car please, even the other information is nice most people dont want to see that information here as it makes the reading of touareg info harder...

Car is bougth and first fuel consumption test done and it works much better than expexted:
https://youtu.be/3QdXmkd1I60
Test on my stock Touareg 2.5TDI with 6 speed manual gearbox This weigths around 2000 kg and is quite big car:
80 km/h= (10km average,dry)
100 km/h= 7.3 l/100km (20km average, wet road)
120 km/h=8.8l/100km (20km average, damp road)
140 km/h=11,0 l/100km (20km average, dry)
160 km/h= 14.1 l/100km (20km average,dry)
180 km/h= 18.9 l/100km (10km average,dry) Was not anymore super relaxing speed at nigth
Top speed is around 200 km/h.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 09-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Do you have any city ratings?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
touareg