Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
I am running a grill block so my AIT takes longer than I would like to come up. Summer time will help that.
I don't understand. Wouldn't the grille block bring intake air temp up faster by limiting the flow of cooler air into the engine compartment? How did you set up your WAI? I just now took some advice from Sentra-SE's discussion thread on the WAI over at gassavers.org and made it extend over to the front end of the engine, over the exhaust manifold, in order to minimize cooler airflow into the intake.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Laura the Lancer - '81 Mitsibishi lancer LX
different mods work for different cars, thats why i said try a WAI and do a-b-a-b testing as much as you can for confirmed results, and then do a CAI d do the same and see whic is best for you. get a baseling first on that road with stock intake first, the more runs you make with each the more valid and reliable your data is
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I don't understand. Wouldn't the grille block bring intake air temp up faster by limiting the flow of cooler air into the engine compartment? How did you set up your WAI? I just now took some advice from Sentra-SE's discussion thread on the WAI over at gassavers.org and made it extend over to the front end of the engine, over the exhaust manifold, in order to minimize cooler airflow into the intake.
Yes, the GB brings the AIT up faster and higher as well.
I don't have a WAI.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounsfos View Post
try a WAI and do a-b-a-b testing as much as you can for confirmed results, and then do a CAI d do the same and see whic is best for you. get a baseling first on that road with stock intake first
Will do, though maybe not the CAI since I don't have one. I saw a thread on another site for building a CAI but it was more complex than I want for a test. Right now I am tweaking the WAI design. I seem to get 40-50 degrees F above the weather. Maybe not quite enough? I also seem to need more Ultra Gauge calibration, given tonight's fill-up data.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

I unfortunately discovered I need more calibration of my Ultra Gauge before testing my WAI. But an observation: this morning the Ultra Gauge showed 0.14 GPH at 86 AIT. The coolant temp was 199. Maybe coolant temp is a better index than AIT, but I'll know when I test it. In the mean time I want to be sure I have built the WAI as effectively as possible. QUESTION: I have been reading online about CAI designs, especially the RAM sort. These guys often build a "box" around the intake to contain the "rammed" colder air before it enters the intake, keeping hot engine compartment air from mixing with it. I'm thinking about a WAI "box"--larger and open only at the top--to contain heat around the intake opening and keep out cooler air circulating in the engine compartment at highways speeds. Thoughts?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I don't think accurate calibration of your Ultra Gauge is that important, since you'll be measuring relative changes in ABA testing before and after WAI installation.

Coolant temp is a cruder index than IAT. It's a measurement result of engine load, rather than a possible cause of engine efficiency. We're hoping IAT causes better FE, but IAT is a result rather than a cause.

Yes, if a WAI "box" helps raise IAT, build it and test it.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Need to run a GRAPH of IAT vs GPH under constant conditions....AND a GRAPH of coolant temp vs GPH under the same conditions?

In most cases both IAT and coolant temp go up as the engine warms...so you need to test AFTER the engine is warmed up and is stable.

You can vary the coolant temp reading using a pot to add some resistance.

IAT you'd probably need to vary in reality...by routing warmer air? Some have used added resistance though?

You are trying to see WHICH is more correlated with reduced GPH at cruise and engine warm? Or if both are.

You COULD test both at cruise...finding IF there was reduced GPH if they were tweaked...then set up a circuit with the set resistances that you would manually switch ON after cruise conditions were reached?

Or...something like that....you need to be careful about running in too lean of a condition though.

http://www.nonags.org/members/nijqk/Sensor%5Fmods%2Edoc

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Tested a-b-a-b: Wai +1.15mpg

Tested my re-designed WAI this morning, and here are the results:

A = no WAI
B = WAI

A1 50.8 mpg
B1 51.8 mpg
A2 50.8 mpg
B2 52.1 mpg

My route was an 18.5 mile freeway loop, around which I held the throttle at 16.1% consistently. No significant wind this morning. I warmed the car and tires over 25 miles to the course. Each nearly closed loop had me at speed and in throttle position when I reset the trip gauges on my Ultra Gauge.

I tracked other data too:

A1: 55.6 mph; .37 gal fuel; peak IAT 96.6F; g/h 1.10 (50.8 mpg)
B1: 54.6 mph; .36 gal fuel; peak IAT 116.4F; g/h 1.05 (51.8 mpg)
A2: 55.6 mph; .37 gal fuel; peak IAT 104.4F; g/h 1.10 (50.8 mpg)
B2: 54.9 mph; .35 gal fuel; peak IAT 120.0F; g/h 1.05 (52.1 mpg)

I am satisfied that it works, though clearly the impact is modest though significant.

WAI design: [EDIT: I redesigned the WAI to use dryer hose, which has the advantage of being easily repositioned if the intake air is too hot or too cold--and for different seasons.] My WAI extends from the stock 1998 Civic air filter box over the motor to reach the exhaust manifold at the front, behind the radiators. The WAI is made of black PVC type plumbing tubing. I chose it because it gets hot and therefore keeps the air warm while it travels to the intake. Around the intake opening, just above the manifold, I have a temporary "box" (made of aluminum foil and duct tape!). The box is open only at the top, up against the black hood, and has the purpose of reducing cooler air entrance into the intake when the car hits highway speeds. I run grille blocks too.

My car has a MAP sensor.

I'm going to keep my WAI. It seems to work. But sometime I'll want to test a CAI against it.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-27-2012 at 02:52 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Feral_Collie (04-05-2012), mikeyjd (05-30-2014), Sven7 (12-04-2012)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Looks good, and matches the MAP claims. I'm happy to see some good test results.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Hey Sentra Se, thanks. But if these results are good, why does a MAP sensor works with the WAI when the MAF does not? That seems interesting.

Reply  Post New Thread