Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The thing with titanium is its half the weight of steel, not as strong and some where around 100x the cost.

The only place I could consider the extreme cost of titanium is in some suspention parts.
If weight saving is the name of the game then use carbon fiber where possible.
the car is pretty much carbon doors hood hatch..... fiber glass fenders bumpers & wide body....if do get them it will be on rotational mass items...and i did put thought into suspension also

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
11 inch wheels for 250hp? I'm no suspension/racing expert but that seems a bit much. The wheel and bolt-on arch look really great (!) but is it worth the extra rotational mass? Are you an autocross geek? Track-day kinda person? Or is it going to be more street car than anything?

I understand doing it for looks. Because it'll look really, really good. But it seems a bit strange to come on here and ask if a few pounds of weight savings will improve your fuel economy on a 4AG track toy with oversized wheels. Because while many here race, we convene on this forum to talk about economy.
take a look at this vid 220 hp rolla vs,,,,exige, ktm, radical s4, nissan gtr, lotus 2leven " "
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
If you want titanium suspention parts you are likely going to have to make them your self of comission someone to make them for you.

I used to copy suspention suspention parts in titanium.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
If you want titanium suspention parts you are likely going to have to make them your self of comission someone to make them for you.

I used to copy suspention suspention parts in titanium.
i already have a brand new suspension...coilovers, panhard,4links,traction brackets, sway bars, tie rods, polyurethane bushing...and i spent alot but most the items where lighter than stock....if i do decide to purchase i just want to replace the bolts & nuts.....a titanium suspension a would be nice ..but astronomical $$$ !! lol...i dont have that kinda money..i already made serious sacrifices just to be where im at...i did look into a titanium engine cross member...there is a race shop here in jersey that deals with titanium fab...my cross member weighs 17lbs can get it down to 7-8 lbs cost is about $700 to fabricate..
i also looked into titanium headers $1200 & $catbacks 1200 7lbs each stock exhaust weigh around 45 lbs im currently around 25 lbs full exhaust ..
do you still copy parts in titanium?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86driftmaster View Post
there some guys out there running 15x12, 15x13 & 15x14....but that is just straight out for balling purposes on cressidas crowns soarers ect..lol

out here is the taller you go 20's -24 ect.... out in japan it goes by how wide you go...
I'm familiar with Japanese styling... oni kyan is not for racing of course. I understand that wheels are a status symbol. My point is that if you're running 11" wide wheels for the hell of it, why do you worry so much about a few ounces in wheel bolts? If they're rare three piece SSR's, get some bolts that look good and save the unobtanium for places that might make more of a difference- maybe fiberglass body panels or lexan windows.

I don't doubt that 86's are great cars. They are. But I can't help thinking your money and effort might be better spent elsewhere. If you're truly saving 11lbs. on the driveshaft bolts alone, it seems worthwhile. How much do the wheel bolts weigh?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

A recent scene in our neighborhood speedway, the very first 86Fest, with the best tuned 86's and most importantly the world's best 86 drivers. The best track/road performers had a balanced and very pragmatic setups. The ones with most expensive parts and unobtanium materials were strictly for aftermarket product trade shows and magazine photoshoots.

86FEST: the ultimate festival for Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, & Toyota AE86 enthusiasts

New school - http://i.imgur.com/klhXl.jpg

Last edited by botsapper; 01-09-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
I'm familiar with Japanese styling... oni kyan is not for racing of course. I understand that wheels are a status symbol. My point is that if you're running 11" wide wheels for the hell of it, why do you worry so much about a few ounces in wheel bolts? If they're rare three piece SSR's, get some bolts that look good and save the unobtanium for places that might make more of a difference- maybe fiberglass body panels or lexan windows.

I don't doubt that 86's are great cars. They are. But I can't help thinking your money and effort might be better spent elsewhere. If you're truly saving 11lbs. on the driveshaft bolts alone, it seems worthwhile. How much do the wheel bolts weigh?
im not running wide for the hell of it 10 inch is the norm..with a low offset... i dont have to go as low of because of the width...like i mention earlier these dont weigh nothing..17lbs..there are 20bolts per wheel..other aftermarket rims will weigh alot more for the same size and width ...i will weigh the bolts that hold the wheel together...i could get lexan but then im going to get harassed by popo and not really in the mood for that when im on the streets ...im tinting the carbon parts so they wont be so obvious..trying to keep the car one solid color (low key is the game)...my is goal is to make the car is quick as possible with full interior and glass still attached to attract least attention...the only thing i replaced in the interior was the 2 front seats 88lb stock down to 30lb recaros i ready have fiberglass fenders, bumpers..and i dont know how im going to keep the supercharger..eventually im going turbo..
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sounds like you've got it all figured out then! (Why not get the carbon painted to match?)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Sounds like you've got it all figured out then! (Why not get the carbon painted to match?)
nah i dont want a solid color...i like the carbon look..but i dont want to be so obvious...just when you walk up to the car you can notice it...i live an hour away from the closest track..i dont want to be a police bullseye getting there..lol

here is a pic of carbon that has been color matched

Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rally drivers go 55mph from stage to stage because getting pulled over DNF's their entire day. Go the speed limit, follow laws and they'll have no reason to pull you over!

(But really, do what you want!)

Reply  Post New Thread