Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know that my 1985 crx hf cuts fuel while coasting in gear as long as the engine is still above a set RPM, my 1983 honda civic also does this, you can clearly see this in the wiring diagram for that car, I can dubble check but I'm pretty sure that my 1973-78 civic shop manaul also shows the fuel cut solinoides, 3-4 of them on the carburator allowing it to compleatly cut fuel, and a vacuum switch on the intake manifold that trips them when the throttle is closed and the engine is reve

__________________________________________________ ___________
There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.[U]All the best,Ethonof

Last edited by ethonof; 02-22-2019 at 03:49 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Pretty cool to see. I always wondered why a lot more people don't modify the tunes like how the performance guys do. Would love to see some more development on the 2nd gen volt.
The only tuning for mileage I see in the HPT forum is after they tune for performance and take a huge hit.

We're close to being able to tune second gen. HPT has everything they need for the first step, adding support. Considering second gen started in 2016, I'd call it a slow start. Tuning to go faster in EV is the biggest request in the Volt forum when the subject is a custom tune. But most of the guys drive in EV so less incentive to tune the gas side.

I have doubts we'll be able to add an alcohol sensor to second gen Volts tho, unless someone can find a sensor input pinout for the E80A ECM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I’d love to see HPT add support for the E16a PCM, so I could reasonably add in some lean burn... I’d almost bet that a good economy tune on a stock pulley LSJ could net better highway mileage than the stock L61... people are claiming upper 20s to 30, on E85...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TD, thinking of trading n the Impala for a 2014 Volt for $14k, 50,000 miles, is that a OK deal, and will you if I drive to you make it FFV. Daughters going to Mt Rushmore to work for the summer so wouldn't be till end of summer when I see it again.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
TD, thinking of trading n the Impala for a 2014 Volt for $14k, 50,000 miles, is that a OK deal, and will you if I drive to you make it FFV. Daughters going to Mt Rushmore to work for the summer so wouldn't be till end of summer when I see it again.
Iowa is ethanol country. Makes sense to drive a FFV. I can't comment if that's a good price, but you might check Kelly Blue Book price or inquire here: Buying, Leasing & Selling - Chevy Volt

Regarding the tune, when you're ready, PM me and I can get you the latest and greatest and it's possible a local tuner shop can flash it for you. Licenses generally cost about $100 and they may have a per flash charge. You might inquire at your local performance shops to see if they do any tuning with HP Tuners software. Bear in mind, that whoever licenses your tune needs to do further updates to it since your license is stored in the ODB adapter. If you have someone else flash it next time you'd have to relicense it again.

The ethanol sensor is straight forward and consists of cutting fuel line and inline it under the hood. Parts is $45 plus any fuel line adapters you'd need, so probably closer to $100. If the wire to the ECU is already there, the install is a few hours. Otherwise can take most of a day to remove the grill of the vehicle to get to it. The ECM where the wire needs to connect, is in front of the driver's front tire and a bit hard to get to, but maybe with a lift, it might be easier. The sensor can be installed at any time. It's the tune that turns it on and uses it.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #126 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethonof View Post
I know that my 1985 crx hf cuts fuel while coasting in gear as long as the engine is still above a set RPM, my 1983 honda civic also does this, you can clearly see this in the wiring diagram for that car, I can dubble check but I'm pretty sure that my 1973-78 civic shop manaul also shows the fuel cut solinoides, 3-4 of them on the carburator allowing it to compleatly cut fuel, and a vacuum switch on the intake manifold that trips them when the throttle is closed and the engine is reve
Every fuel injected car ever does this.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #127 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bear in mind that many Volt owners don't burn much fuel, unless it's part of their daily commute. My buddy in Florida, our chief tuner, has a daily commute of about 70 miles. With a second gen Volt, he might be able to do it without burning gas most days. My daily commute is 7 miles so only burn gas once a month or so when we leave town. Half the gas I burned to date was driving my new car home the day I bought it, a 250 mile drive.

My point is that maybe converting to ethanol and flashing a custom tune is more of a want, rather than a need. It'll take a long time to pay for itself unless you do a lot of highway driving.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #128 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Balto, that was mandated in 1995, so I am not sure how common it was before that.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #129 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've read a lot of your post on P E85 & HPT, I have a cobalt I got some info from fuelverine on making it FFV with is just software. I thought you two's first solution was all software based for the Volt changing Stoinch. I just haven't bit the $600 HPT bullet to do it. I have 240,000 miles on mine so doubt it's worth it in terms of payback. I can run E50 without CEL just a pain to splash blend.

Will spend so time researching a Volt and think about getting one later this summer.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #130 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fuelverine and I were the original two members of the Volterado team, but I didn't know what I was doing and he was more coach than tutor. We still keep in touch and he said he's going to try our tune this summer when he gets a new laptop.

Assuming you have adequate fuel flow, an e85-only tune is pretty easy, just change a couple of values, flash the tune, then start logging. Ideally I like to start around E50 and work my way up.