Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Elephant - '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
90 day: 19.27 mpg (US)

Raberta RX - '14 Lexus RX350 Base
Results of Austin Trip (not scientific)

Trip to Austin
Miles driven = 151
Roads = Freeway 20% Rural Highway 80%
Winds = NW 15mph headwind
Elevation = net +440 ft
Average speed = 65-70mph
MPG = 18.1

I tried to stay 5mph under the speed limit but the average posted speed limit on the trip was between 70 and 75 mph and I could see the fuel economy was really taking a hit especially with a 15mph head wind

Trip back from Austin
Miles driven = 154
Roads = Freeway 20% Rural Highway 80%
Winds = SE 15mph headwind
Elevation = net -440 ft
Average speed = 62mph
MPG = 19.1

On the trip back I set the cruise control to 62mph using the GPS for my speed
I again had a 15mph headwind (just cant catch a break) my average for the weekend ended up being 18.6, I expected more but head winds on both trips really screwed me but setting the cruise to 62mph helped on the return trip.

I was worried that going so far under the speed limit would upset other drivers but I had no Road Ragers in fact on the smaller 2 lane highways I would just pull into the emergency lane to allow the fast movers to pass, almost all passers waved or flashed there lights in thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I originally thought that driving at or below the speed limit would be a death sentence, as soon as I started I was amazed at how many others are doing the same. Good job on the 19 MPG!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Elephant - '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
90 day: 19.27 mpg (US)

Raberta RX - '14 Lexus RX350 Base
Mod #3 Carbon Filter Delete

It seems that Toyota in all its "Engineering Brilliance" decided that in order to get a better test result on a closed shed EPA test, added a non replaceable carbon filter in the intake after the filter to capture gases that might backup the intake when the vehicle was turned off.

This seems logical except for the fact that this filter is not replaceable, it is plastic welded into the top of the air intake box.

Now I am no chemical engineer but I have been around enough to know that this filter is probably only good for the first year before the carbon reaches its saturation point or is fouled by anything getting passed the filter.

Obviously if this were critical to the operation of the motor then after market intakes would have included such a filter in there systems, if for no other reason than to stand out from the crowd. Even TRD's CAI's do not have a carbon filter.

While searching the Tundra Talk forums for the best results on different after market intakes (very mixed results and no agreement) almost all agree that removing this obstruction to the airflow was an absolute plus.

So following directions found on the forum I removed by 5yr old carbon filter yesterday and promptly through it in the trash.

If anyone can see an error in my suto logic please let me know.

Last edited by GeekForLife; 02-05-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread