Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
The Honda Civic GX thread

I couldn't find much on the Honda Civic GX here on Ecomodder so I thought I'd make a new thread specifically on it.

Apparently this is the only commercially built natural gas vehicle in the USA to be available for the public to buy, at least in some states.

I've been interested in obtaining or converting a vehicle to compressed natural gas (CNG) as a long distance car to add along side to our Nissan Leaf. I've seen quite a few of these natural gas Civics between $1,999 and $7,000, some with low miles, and there are notably quite a few natural gas refilling stations around now too.

Gasoline and diesel prices are now rising above $3 per gallon here, whereas natural gas is $1.74 for a gasoline gallon equivalent. I've also read that these cars can get over 40 mpgge (miles per gasoline gallon equivalent) on the highway. That would be cheaper than my 55mpg VW Golf diesel. I'm thinking it's either this car or convert my VW diesel to natural gas, then maybe into a pusher trailer for the Leaf.

What are your thoughts on the natural gas powered Civic GX?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
The F150 also came CNG in certain years. CNG cars aren't worth it IMO. There are certain parts that have to be replaced to keep it federally legal and they cost 3k+ (the tanks being one of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
The F150 also came CNG in certain years. CNG cars aren't worth it IMO. There are certain parts that have to be replaced to keep it federally legal and they cost 3k+ (the tanks being one of them.
Prices may be coming down. Plus we are talking about every 20 years. And there is the argument that CNG engines last longer (not sure if that is thue though). Worth it or not is still the question and perhaps depends on the use the vehicle gets.

For an example I found this tank that is just a GGE larger than the Civic's tank for only $890 with a 20 year life expectancy.

http://www.ngvdepot.com/cng-tank-typ...57-1x12-7-ngv/

Edit: It looks like that tank won't physically fit into the Civic GX. Too long and narrow.

Last edited by Isaac Zackary; 11-28-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic gx, cng, cng civic, honda civic gx, natural gas