Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zerg Lurker

12V Solar charger for daily battery maintenance?

Hi all!!!

Long time, no see.

I'm a terrible (horrible, awful, evil, nasty) ecomodder. I can't keep my foot off the gas (living in NYC now, this is a difficult proposition), and while I've mellowed considerably, I've just found it utterly impossible to gain any fuel economy. I have an '06 Corolla LE with a 5 spd transmission, largely stock, 76k miles, and pretty much stock.

I'm wondering if, in an attempt to improve fuel economy, I could rig up a fully removable solar charger for at work to try to trickle charge the battery and possibly reduce alternator usage. It seems that these things can be quite the gas hog according to things I've read here and there.

Basically, I need a solar cell that isn't going to be too big (so much the better if it can sit on the dash board when I'm at home in Harlem to minimize vandalism), that can supply what, 12-14.4v? I'm also looking to find a good (CHEAP!) controller that can do the basics for me, namely, charging and regulating so I don't overcharge.

If it can plug in to the cigarette lighter, so much the better, and since it's only a trickle charger, it should be able to, yes?

So, thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I am right there with you on that idea. I have installed a deep cycle battery{ to run my 15" lcd screen and laptop) and yesterday purchased a 30 watt solar panel to charge it. The panel came with a charge controller, I have to figure out where to mount the panel where it will not get ripped off. Most likely I will mount it on my sundeck.
A full battery every time I start my car will save I would say a large amount alternator use, more so if I drive short distances and infrequently.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zerg Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I am right there with you on that idea. I have installed a deep cycle battery{ to run my 15" lcd screen and laptop) and yesterday purchased a 30 watt solar panel to charge it. The panel came with a charge controller, I have to figure out where to mount the panel where it will not get ripped off. Most likely I will mount it on my sundeck.
A full battery every time I start my car will save I would say a large amount alternator use, more so if I drive short distances and infrequently.
Where might one acquire this 30W solar panel?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
If I was you I would check Costco or a equivalent, I bought mine at Canadian Tire for $80 on sale.
It's made by Sunforce with two panels hinged together and has a built in stand.

Last edited by ecomodded; 04-20-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zerg Lurker

I'm seeing ones for around $100-120ish online.

Prebuilt units are around $60 on eBay but without the controller, and just bare panels are around $20-30.

With prices like these, I can't wait until the apocalypse. I know a couple of nearby towns that have solar panels all over the place up on telephone poles. I'll salvage as many of them as I can and have a virtually unlimited supply of energy. With all the abandoned cars around, tons of batteries to store that power.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc74656m View Post
I'm seeing ones for around $100-120ish online.

Prebuilt units are around $60 on eBay but without the controller, and just bare panels are around $20-30.

With prices like these, I can't wait until the apocalypse. I know a couple of nearby towns that have solar panels all over the place up on telephone poles. I'll salvage as many of them as I can and have a virtually unlimited supply of energy. With all the abandoned cars around, tons of batteries to store that power.
I am thinking I will keep a second battery on the panel so I have 12 volt lighting during power outages or Zombie outbreaks at the power plant.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zerg Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I am thinking I will keep a second battery on the panel so I have 12 volt lighting during power outages or Zombie outbreaks at the power plant.
So true... The day I have my own house, I'll buy solar panels up the wazoo for it, put hidden LED emergency lighting everywhere, and some massive backup batteries in the basement. Who knows, maybe even go to a junkyard and salvage a couple of hybrid battery packs?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
a small solar cell will not help much. when i bought my car the alternator was seized so for about a week i drove it without any alternator power other than a small 2 watt solar cell. for a quick 15 min drive to work without using any other electrics but the ones the car needed to run the battery drained pretty fast. I measured the voltage after each drive and i lost about 1 volt per 30 mins of driving and 2 starts. this was with the solar cell attached so it was charging in the sun.

I would say unless you get a (at least) 15 watt cell it would be hard for it to keep up with the amount of electricity your car will need to keep charged.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zerg Lurker

Hi GRU! Thanks, yeah though, that's the plan. I'm looking online and it's not hard to find 30-40 watt panels, reasonably priced at that. I'm seeing units for roughly $60-80 on eBay putting out that amount of power, and a solar Battery Tender can be had for about $20 from Amazon.

I did some reading and it seems that in order to charge through the cig lighter, your key needs to be in the ACC position. Not really happening... Yeah...

I'll just go with a 30-40W panel and the Battery Tender. Run the wiring through the firewall so that the cell can sit inside the car, but with a quick disconnect setup and a long cord so it can go in on the dashboard, the rear deck, or, at work in the parking lot, outside on the roof of the car.

I'm not going to pull out the alternator, this is just meant to be a supplement for it to keep it from kicking in as much as possible and hopefully gaining some mileage.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Has anyone tried this solar charger?

I was wondering if anyone has tried this solar charger, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply  Post New Thread