Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #121 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
That's what I described doing with the dusty road/paved road.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Again, designing a suspension to deal with high pressures is expensive. And to a point, futile. BMW have yet to design a car that rides comfortably on run-flats, which are just as stiff as tires at 50 psi, for the most part.

Toyota can't even design a suspension for the Yaris that doesn't bounce horribly with "stock" low-profile tires at 35 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qx4dude View Post
I believe extremes are usually dangerous. It's like going to the doctor, and getting a prescription for blood pressure pills. The bottle says take one tablet twice daily - USE AS DIRECTED.

Doctors and pharmacists went to school for at 8 years (and longer) to be able to practice, and dispense medicine. Most high blood pressure patients will heed the warning label. Others will do their own "experimenting" with the dosage.
Well, coming from a family of doctors...

Dosage for most "over-the-counter" medicine and prescription medicine is basically ballpark guesstimation. If one patient is one hundred pounds and another is two hundred pounds, the amount of medicine required to ensure efficacy naturally varies. And the amount of medicine that would be considered an "overdose" varies, also.

"Recommended dosage" is set a certain number of milligrams to ensure that both the one hundred pound "adult" patient and a two hundred pound "adult" patient both get a big enough dose for the desired effect, and that a ninety pound weakling will not die from an OD. The doctor can prescribe a much, much higher dosage in special cases... not fun being on a massive cocktail of antibiotics (at three to four times regular dosage) if you've got a particularly nasty bug... since antibiotics are downright toxic...

Then again... as CapriRacer keeps pointing out, the "maximum pressure" on the sidewall does not connote OD. It's basically the recommended dosage required for a certain desired effect. And the desired effect isn't "not blowing up."

-

In a perfect world, doctors will take your weight and BMI, then do some complex spreadsheet calculations before giving you a prescription. In real life, they'll prescribe the same dosage they prescribe to most of their patients. One which is safely above the minimum effective dosage for most average-sized humans and well below toxic dosage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEV View Post
To Everyone:
Please note that this topic is not about under-inflation. It is only about over-inflation. Let's not confuse the issue any longer by mentioning somethng that is clearly off-topic and non-applicable.
It's applicable because my "normal" inflation pressure on my truck is 26 psi. Anything that tests pressures over that is applicable, in my case.

The NHTSA tells me 26 psi is verboten for highway driving (which is why I ignore it completely), while my "full load" inflation is 45-50 psi, which is over the "maximum sidewall" on most tires that fit.

As CapriRacer has pointed out, said number has nothing to do with durability testing on the tire.

Last edited by niky; 08-23-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Please....stop.
Over the counter meds come with an expiration date which is totally bogus. ( I worked in the industry for 10 yrs)
The warning label states otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of taking expired meds - but clearly, you would. I'd just buy fresh meds rather than risk my life to save a few bucks.

Thank's for stepping up as an example of someone that chooses to take unnecessary risks. Helps prove my point.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Again, designing a suspension to deal with high pressures is expensive. And to a point, futile. BMW have yet to design a car that rides comfortably on run-flats, which are just as stiff as tires at 50 psi, for the most part.

Toyota can't even design a suspension for the Yaris that doesn't bounce horribly with "stock" low-profile tires at 35 psi.

Well, coming from a family of doctors...

Dosage for most "over-the-counter" medicine and prescription medicine is basically ballpark guesstimation. If one patient is one hundred pounds and another is two hundred pounds, the amount of medicine required to ensure efficacy naturally varies. And the amount of medicine that would be considered an "overdose" varies, also.

"Recommended dosage" is set a certain number of milligrams to ensure that both the one hundred pound "adult" patient and a two hundred pound "adult" patient both get a big enough dose for the desired effect, and that a ninety pound weakling will not die from an OD. The doctor can prescribe a much, much higher dosage in special cases... not fun being on a massive cocktail of antibiotics (at three to four times regular dosage) if you've got a particularly nasty bug... since antibiotics are downright toxic...

Then again... as CapriRacer keeps pointing out, the "maximum pressure" on the sidewall does not connote OD. It's basically the recommended dosage required for a certain desired effect. And the desired effect isn't "not blowing up."

-

In a perfect world, doctors will take your weight and BMI, then do some complex spreadsheet calculations before giving you a prescription. In real life, they'll prescribe the same dosage they prescribe to most of their patients. One which is safely above the minimum effective dosage for most average-sized humans and well below toxic dosage.

It's applicable because my "normal" inflation pressure on my truck is 26 psi. Anything that tests pressures over that is applicable, in my case.

The NHTSA tells me 26 psi is verboten for highway driving (which is why I ignore it completely), while my "full load" inflation is 45-50 psi, which is over the "maximum sidewall" on most tires that fit.

As CapriRacer has pointed out, said number has nothing to do with durability testing on the tire.
You are a true renaissance man. Not only are you a part-time mechanical / design engineer with a specialty in bonding steel & rubber compounds, but also a self-proclaimed pharmacist, and have a MD pedigree.

Since I don't have that kind of resume, I'll continue to heed warning labels.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
you really are a bitter ahole aren't you?????

Frankly, if I had to make a list of 5 poster on this forum who's postings I would accept as gospel, Racer would be on that list.

Maybe.....you need to read a little more.......or a little deeper....

(note to 'stupid' ......Racer is more than he seems.....)

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #126 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt