Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just clean it up, do some maintenance, and ride it.

It's going to do really well on gas no matter how you ride it, so don't sweat it. You'd be really hard pressed to make any significant improvements in MPG without the significant aero mods you don't want to do.

New tires, new non-o-ring chain, synthetic oil, and maybe a small fairing on the bars to deflect some wind around you and you'd be 90% there.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Noooooo run a bog stock bike?

That is so "common", it's what the common people do.

The ones who lack imagination, foresight, good breeding, an education, who don't belong to the professional classes - because they just never tried hard, if at all.

I can pretty much guarantee, that if you tune the engine to deliver most of it's "punch" a bit below and a bit above, the suburban road speed, , at low throttle, you can cruise along, using perhaps 30% less fuel, and you could get as much as and extra 4 or 5 HP of extra power, within this range.

Learning about the "free supercharging and cylinder scavenging" that comes from a resonant induction and exhaust system, is a worthwhile exercise.

one of my early bikes, a Suzuki GSX 250, was stripped into a racer with clip on bars etc., and I made up some tuned stainless extractors, rejetted it etc., and the legal road speed in Australia is generally around 100Kmh (60 Mph), and in top gear, I had **** loads of power from 80 - 115Kmh.

So much so, that on windy coastal roads, I could keep up with 1100's and 1340 cc (80cui) Harleys...

Within these relatively simple exercises, are all the principles of engine tuning, where the issues of gas flows, resonance, efficiency from the maximising energy prodsuction and the minimising of losses...

These are what run the common car, the racing vehicles and even giant marine diesels...

Anyone who says "**** can the opportunity", is a fool.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm all for super-mileage mods and all - but that's not what he want to do with this. Learning to ride for maximum efficiency is going to show more benefits than engine and gearing mods in this case. Under the right conditions the numbers should be amazing, but those conditions are limited with an engine that size and no aero mods.

If you want to go full-tilt and have a vehicle capable of operating at highway speeds, you are going to need to start with a newer, larger, platform and then do some serious aero and maybe some engine mods.

That's not what this is.

Reply  Post New Thread