EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   1997 Kubota Diesel Geo Metro, Manual Transmission (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1997-kubota-diesel-geo-metro-manual-transmission-34531.html)

planejob 11-11-2016 04:08 PM

1997 Kubota Diesel Geo Metro, Manual Transmission

I won. I set out to put a Kubota Diesel engine into a Geo Metro and I did it. Along the way I had to convert the Geo to a manual, rebuild the transmission, and fabricate a custom adapter to mate the engine to the transmission. Not to mention all of the other fun stuff. I enjoyed the hell out of this project.

I'd like to pass the project along to another ecomodder who wants to tinker and enjoy the Metro, and perhaps drive it as transportation. It's a car for an adventurous person.

The engine is a Kubota D1005 3 Cylinder with a fresh head gasket and fuel pump. It uses the OE fuel tank and an aftermarket Marine diesel fuel filter/water separator. Starts right up. Exhaust exits the car via custom exhaust system and muffler (new, stem to stern) built locally by C&M Muffler and Used Tires (stand up guys!).

The body is a 1997 Geo Metro. It's got a few dents as one would expect in a 20 year old econo-box. It hasn't been shown much love until it came into my care. It lacks all of the creature comforts on the interior. It has no heater (but you could easily put this in), it has no a/c (not so easy to add), and it has not had a radio since I owned it but that's not even a challenging proposition to the person who will embrace this sweet ride.

It's titled. It's a 1997 Geo Metro with a clean and clear 'blue' Texas title. That means it is not branded as "salvage", "rebuilt" or "unrepairable" and there are no liens. It's my car, free and clear.

The tires hold air.
The axles and CVs are BRAND NEW.
The Transmission is completely rebuilt with all new Synchros and a new 5th gear. 3.52 R&P.
I have a key for it. 2 keys actually, but one requires substantial jiggling.
The hood and front bumper cover are off of the car in the pictures and videos. I have them both.
The center console is out in the pictures - I have two of those.
I have the electric fans and a standalone electric fan controller that is included but not installed.
I have a BRAND NEW UNinstalled alternator for the Kubota. 

So... you're wondering about the price? I estimate about $4,000 worth of parts and 300-350 man hours to assemble those parts into what you see in my build thread. At minimum wage that's about $6,000. The engine, it's going for 1700 to 3600 on the internet. So it's got some residual value. I definitely had a few thousand dollars of fun doing this project, so let's subtract that out.

I'm offering the car for 1700, to a person who wants to come pick it up (Wylie, TX 75098) spend some time talking about it, listen to me ramble about what I've done over the last year, and carry the project forward.:eek:

Here's the build thread.

Here's the link to my YouTube Channel so you can see the two videos.

Car Nut 11-20-2016 06:25 AM

Wow, I wish you were closer, i'd love to have that thing.

MetroMPG 02-24-2017 01:18 PM

Planejob - did the car sell?

Just curious. (Not shopping!)

Gasoline Fumes 02-24-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 534959)
Planejob - did the car sell?

Just curious. (Not shopping!)

I got the impression you were always car shopping! :D

MetroMPG 02-24-2017 02:00 PM

At least permit me the delusion that I'm not!

planejob 02-24-2017 02:29 PM

Yep, the car sold 2 weekends ago to guy who appreciated as much as I do. He's very happy and I'm happy it went to a good home. Ben - introduce yourself!

planejob 10-16-2017 09:30 PM

Yesterday a deal was struck to bring this car back into my stable! I'm bringing it home tomorrow!

oil pan 4 10-16-2017 11:19 PM

Well if you sell it again sell it to me.
I like kubota diesels.
I have a 700cc 2cyl kubota tractor I am going to turbo charge.