Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 45.78 mpg (US)
I wanna eventually swap to either the 05-07 sedan bumper or the coupe(Redline) front clip... either of those would be a little better than my current front clip but neither of them will be massively better... it’s a lot of work for not so much gain...

My last Ecotec project...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #82 (permalink)
MPG Addict

Silver Aero - '04 Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic
90 day: 41.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I wanna eventually swap to either the 05-07 sedan bumper or the coupe(Redline) front clip... either of those would be a little better than my current front clip but neither of them will be massively better... itís a lot of work for not so much gain...
True, but you might be able to fab something up with foam and other materials.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
I’m far less worried about the shape of the front bumper than I am about the shape of the rear, and getting diffuser built and rear wheel skirts...

However as I’m putting the car back together I’m gonna probably try and seal off the gaps in the panels on the front, just for sake of being like basjoos...

Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Unrelated to aerodynamics, I do have to do a different repair on my car as well... right now I can’t get a set of front tires to last over 5k miles... that would be okay if it were making 800+whp but it’s not... it’s been noisy over bumps and rough roads.. pretty sure I need to do a set of control arms on her... maybe with that fixed it’ll coast even better?

I did set a record for my trip to work... at 70-73* I averaged 58.2mpg indicated by UG

Old 05-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
So, I’ve got control arms for the car, and I upgraded at the same time, going from stamped steel to cast aluminum (FE5 control arm from Cobalt SS/SC)... the car should be alignable later, with no more clunking noises over bumps...

But I also moved, and my commute to work is like 2.5mi... it doesn’t even get fully warm on my trip in... I struggle to average 40mpg indicated...�� any suggestions? Do I overinflate the tires I just got(running at 50#)?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #86 (permalink)
MPG Addict

Quote:
But I also moved, and my commute to work is like 2.5mi... it doesn’t even get fully warm on my trip in... I struggle to average 40mpg indicated...�� any suggestions?
P&G has really helped me offset the MPG losses from shorter trips. I generally reach 40 MPG within the first mile instead of after 2 miles (on a completely cold engine).

Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
I’m using P&G as best as I can manage... there is one small-ish Hill to climb and since I recently got new tires (upsized from 195/65 to 205/65) I can no longer climb in 5th gear... if I had a battery charger I’d disconnect the alternator and see how much I get... also contemplating full grille block and tires at 60#

Old 05-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #88 (permalink)
MPG Addict

Wouldn't a full grille block be too warm in this weather?

I found a different route to school that's ~0.25 miles longer, but uses less fuel because it's rarely traveled, and I can do maximum P&G on it (20mph-30mph-20mph) compared to when previously I could only P&G maybe a third of the time at 30mph-40mph-30mph. Is there a different, less travelled route you could take?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Yeah, a full block would be entirely too much for any significant distance... right now it’s about perfect, even for 85-90* ambient temps... but my commute is like 2.5mi and with using P&G, my coolant temps barely break 140*... in theory as long as I didn’t get over 210* I could block the whole thing and be fine, knowing that if I tried to do any longer trip I’d have to remove some blocking...

There are no other routes to take to work that don’t add massive distance/time... there is one hill and a traffic light that work against me... there are two left turns and one right, which sometimes has me idling at an intersection for a while...

While on the rural roads, my 2.2L engine displacement isn’t much of a hindrance, in town it really sucks the fuel...

Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #90 (permalink)
MPG Addict

Quote:
Yeah, a full block would be entirely too much for any significant distance... right now itís about perfect, even for 85-90* ambient temps... but my commute is like 2.5mi and with using P&G, my coolant temps barely break 140*... in theory as long as I didnít get over 210* I could block the whole thing and be fine, knowing that if I tried to do any longer trip Iíd have to remove some blocking...

There are no other routes to take to work that donít add massive distance/time... there is one hill and a traffic light that work against me... there are two left turns and one right, which sometimes has me idling at an intersection for a while...

While on the rural roads, my 2.2L engine displacement isnít much of a hindrance, in town it really sucks the fuel...
If 2.5 miles has you only at 140F then you probably are safe to block more grille off. My car is usually at 140F at the end of the 1st mile. I find that P&G-ing at slower speeds helps warmup faster. I live on a gravel road, and it's 0.6 miles to the nearest paved road that takes me anywhere, so I generally P&G around 19-27-19 and am usually mid to upper 20s MPG by the end of that and between 125F and 135F by the end of it due to going slower and giving the engine more warm up time. If I drove faster, say, 30 mph I'd barely be over 110F by the end and I'd be lucky if my MPGs by the end of the gravel road were above 20.

Do you do any EOC with your manual?

Reply  Post New Thread