Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
Went from~18.xx(290pmi) to 23.xxmpg(10,000mi) 60-65 with an average of 22.5. (1000usg 22,500mi) this 22.5 includes the 2900mi naked. Have had 5-6 100mi runs over Continental Divide @ 28. and 1 @28.95mpg @cruise set to 55mph. As compaired to 23.01 best naked. Plans are in motion to smoke test me and Aeroheads caps at DARCO in Ogden Ut sept9,16 I will be posting on that later. As well as a baby template. Im about 3000 mi behind on my fuellog right now.
Looks good so far . I will suggest a Kam back on tbe trailing edge .be tiped in 12.5° tord the center (down ontop 'in on both sides) of the last bow probably 6-8" in length . Make the edge a single smooth raidi ...sounds like you have some plains in this direction. With the rain over hang. .
To address the mishap on the cab just add a Corection pice with some Dalles or Woodruff keys.the 2nd bow may need some persuasion as well ,buyt might get lucky and only 1 . Or roll with it the small step will cost a small % reduction in mpg gain
. Gumby Stay Flexible
Dreem big chisel down to reality.
Damn! That is a lot. Was that just from the cap or were there other contributing factors as well?

I appreciate the the suggestions. Feature creep is a dangerous thing so I think I'll probably just stick with what I have planned. It won't be ideal, but I will get it done way faster this way. Then after I test this one and find all of the flaws, I can re-evaluate the design and make a new one implementing some of the ideas flowing in. I am really curious what data you get from your upcoming wind tunnel test.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What is the difference in length along the curve on the first and last rib? How does that compare with the number of strips required?

Will you lay them from the sides up or center out?
The length at the front rib is 90" and the rear is 75". Each strip should span about 0.75", so I should need a minimum of 120 strips. 20 of those strips will be partials.

I am planning on going middle-out on the strip layout. If I have learned anything from the show "Silicon Valley" that is the most efficient way of doing things. I think it will be easier to construct this way as I will have better access to the final strips, which will be the hardest. Also, I designed in a groove on the bed rail pieces for the strips to fit into. This way, I won't have to be uber precise on my cuts to get a really clean seam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (08-17-2016), freebeard (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macskyver View Post
Thanks. Are you thinking the spoiler would extend rearward behind the shell or sit on top of it? If it is to the rear, maybe I could make it into a cargo pod that mounts to the rear bumper or slides in the receiver hitch.
The spoiler should extend behind the aeroshell, kind of like what ccrider did for his Tacoma -> http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...p-11271-6.html

Here's my current aerocap, as of a couple of years ago. I've been meaning to attach a spoiler on it, as well as make an articulated hinge for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2016), ChazInMT (08-17-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok. I see what you are saying now. I think the eaves I have planned should do the trick. It should be similar to the picture of the red truck.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Today I finished up prepping the cedar strips. The little router table I made worked beautifully. I added a couple aluminum tabs to guide the strips so the bead and coves were consistent.

After finishing up the strips, I picked the nicest ones and laid them out and played around with patterns between the light and dark.

Then I set down a layer of plastic in the bed of the truck and then the frame.

After some glueing and nailing, this is where I ended up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2016), BamZipPow (08-16-2016), ChazInMT (08-17-2016), Daox (11-11-2016), skyking (09-07-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Oh, that's going to be pretty!

I hope you're not going to paint over that when you're done, are you? Because a nice sanding/glassing/resin job would look beautiful.

The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Looking good!

As for the shell, you could probably add a flexible air dam on the front of your truck under the steel bumper and get some of your front end aerodynamics back. I put a conveyor belt air dam on the front end of my 2005 Tacoma, which I use offroad quite a bit, and haven't had an issue. If you hit something, it just pops right back into place. Here is a link to my build thread in case you hadn't seen it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post438755

Looking at your bumper, If you didn't want to commit to a air dam all the way across, you could do two smaller conveyor belt tire spats mounted to your steel bumper to push the air around your tires, which would also help diminish tire noise and front/rear lift at highway speeds.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Oh, that's going to be pretty!

I hope you're not going to paint over that when you're done, are you? Because a nice sanding/glassing/resin job would look beautiful.
Thanks. Yeah, my plan is definitely to make it look like the typical cedar strip canoe/kayak. Of course, I have never done this or fiberglass before, so if I screw up too bad somewhere a long the line, I may have to paint it. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
Looking good!

As for the shell, you could probably add a flexible air dam on the front of your truck under the steel bumper and get some of your front end aerodynamics back. I put a conveyor belt air dam on the front end of my 2005 Tacoma, which I use offroad quite a bit, and haven't had an issue. If you hit something, it just pops right back into place. Here is a link to my build thread in case you hadn't seen it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post438755

Looking at your bumper, If you didn't want to commit to a air dam all the way across, you could do two smaller conveyor belt tire spats mounted to your steel bumper to push the air around your tires, which would also help diminish tire noise and front/rear lift at highway speeds.
Thanks. I like that idea of a flexible air dam, maybe easily removable as well since most off-roading occurs at speeds where aerodynamics is not a concern. Depending on how well the aeroshell works out and depending of if I get itch for more aeromods, I may just rebuild the front bumper with aero in mind.

I like your Tacoma. It looks like you provided lots of good information. I'll have to spend some time reading through your posts.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Today I got a bunch of stuff ordered to finish the shell. I ordered the fiberglass cloth, epoxy, varnish, a sheet of polycarbonate for the windows, and a bunch of miscellaneous hardware to put everything together. I am pretty sure this will end up costing me about the same as a new basic model camper shell, but doing it this way is a lot more fun though.

I also finished laying out the cedar strips on the passenger side of the shell. Here is the progress:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2016), BamZipPow (08-16-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerocap, aeroshell, camper shell