Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2.2l Ecotech + 2004 Saturn Ion Level 2

Not really sure where this thread should go guys (here or in the DIY thread), but as I don't really have a specific DIY help request, I guess here is as good a place as any.

I replaced the '98 Civic EX with the 1.6l and 5 spd bottom of the line gear box (no syncro on 1st) and have taken up driving what would likely be deemed here as '50% Blasphemy Incarnate', which is specifically the beast listed in the thread's title.

My excuse for falling from grace is simple. I live in Anderson, SC and commute to Pendergrass, GA..... specifically 64 miles + work 12 to 13 hours + 64 miles again on the trip back home. I am 50 years young, but became 50 years 'old' by the time I would pull back in to the driveway to get a nap before heading back to work. Simply put, the Ion is comfortable, but, being a level 2 equipped car, is quite spartan, even when compared to the 8 years older Civic (no sun roof, no cruise control, hand crank windows.......), but I do not feel as if I have been on the wrong end of a good country butt whoopin' anymore..... not rested mind you, but not miserable.

So, to load up my 'question' a bit more, a friend adopted and rescued a 2002 Buick Century, his commute carries him north about 40 miles up the interstate and he manages over 32mpg in pure luxury, generated via a 3.1l V6 coupled to the expected autotranny. I manage 36mpg from the 2.2l Ecotech coupled to the 4 spd auto transaxle.

Now, I really am a cheap sod, but am disappointed that a V6 FWD 3100cc engine manages to do quite well as compared to the DHC 4 banger 2200cc engine. The cars are NOT in the same class, thus my feel for the need for more mpg and if necessary, sacrificing speed.

In all honesty, I roll the entire way there and back again averaging 72mph and see NO improvement in calculated mileage while burning 10% ethanol / petrol blend when doing 60, 70 or 80mpg...... at 60mph, I manage 37mpg, at 70mph, I manage 36mpg and at 80mph, I manage 34mpg. Now, as I have no cruise control and do live and commute in a rather hilly area, I have a habit of driving carefully and ease up to speed and am mindful to coast downhill as much as possible.

So, other than the obvious things like running tire air pressure at the safest maximum level, being mindful of anticipating throttle ups for hills and easing off when going down the other side, what suggestions does the group have, based upon familiarity with the 2.2l Ecotech coupled with the poor excuse for a 4 spd auto gear box, for squeezing some real fuel efficiency out of this horrific little car? No, I will NOT go back to the Civic, as comfort and general mental health and well being is, or should be, one of the factors involved in overall efficiency of a vehicle. That is to say, ripping out back seats and leaving tools and spare tires behind to gain 1mpg only to get back home and turn into a serial killer who will be featured on CNN's evening news just isn't worth the agro.

Hope this makes some semblance of sense and thanks for your suggestions.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
read through the 65+ Efficiency Mods and 100+ Hypermiling Tips already? i think its alot easier to sort through than searching through endless posts. personally i think ,after airing up tires, one of the easiest mods is a grill block.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great 2000mc.... THANKS!

Reply  Post New Thread