Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Abarth - '10 Fiat 500 Abarth
90 day: 33.4 mpg (US)

Yaris - '03 Toytota Yaris
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
First prototype on grille block 1999 Swift

Well, getting my stock grille scrapped from a front collision with a deer ive decided instead of buying a new one, to try and fabricate a new one with a built in grille block.

So today i set about carving out a prototype from a styrofoam block. It wasnt as easy as i thought it would be, but in the end it looks okay. Ill be running with this setup for a while (at least a week). Hopefully it will survive and if it does ill add a layer of fiberglass resin to strenghten and to try and improve the fitment against the hood. Then add some paint to make it "stand out" less.

The "crashed" front

Tools required

Final fitment, tied together with the hood using some string.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9032-001.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	12604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9038-001.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	12606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9043-001.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	12608  

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
That's a good start for smooth front of your Sponge

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
I was going to post a joke photo suggesting you could have just left the deer in the grille, but the images I found are all kind of gross.

Quick & simple. I like it. Makes me question the amount of time I'm currently spending making my grille blocks.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I was going to post a joke photo suggesting you could have just left the deer in the grille, but the images I found are all kind of gross.

Quick & simple. I like it. Makes me question the amount of time I'm currently spending making my grille blocks.
Hehe, I imagine.

Yours is going to look like its fitted stock to your insight, which is my goal as well.
I don't want people to see / question what I'm doing, I much rather prefer a subtle but yet efficient mod

Thinking about it, I'm probably going to use a harder type of cardboard to make another mold, and then reinforce it using fiberglass resin. That way It will be easier to add proper fasteners to it, as well as easier to get a proper fitment.

Temps are just below freezing in the mornings, and a few degrees above in the days, meaning a full block should be no problem at this point. I'm a bit afraid of a warm summers day, but that should be no problem if I keep the lower part of the front bumper open. I hope....

Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrel View Post
Temps are just below freezing in the mornings, and a few degrees above in the days, meaning a full block should be no problem at this point. I'm a bit afraid of a warm summers day, but that should be no problem if I keep the lower part of the front bumper open. I hope....
Good job, Pierrel!!

I see you MPG really improved on your last tank, too. I wonder how much of that is your grille block vs. P & G?

I can tell you I've had about a 95% grille block on my car for awhile now, and NO hint of overheating. 205 deg. F is the highest I've seen, and this includes climbing some steep mountains in fairly warm weather (for winter), but around here, WAY above freezing - like maybe 50 deg F. I always keep one eyeball glued to the ScanGauge when climbing a hill just in case it overheats, but not even close.

Now, there is a big opening on my car between the bottom lip of the bumper cover and the panel the radiator is in, so the fan can pull air through from that area. When I do my belly pan, that will be sealed-up, so I'll have to take other steps. But right now, I'm seeing no overheating issues. So you should be fine.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Good job, Pierrel!!

I see you MPG really improved on your last tank, too. I wonder how much of that is your grille block vs. P & G?

I can tell you I've had about a 95% grille block on my car for awhile now, and NO hint of overheating. 205 deg. F is the highest I've seen, and this includes climbing some steep mountains in fairly warm weather (for winter), but around here, WAY above freezing - like maybe 50 deg F. I always keep one eyeball glued to the ScanGauge when climbing a hill just in case it overheats, but not even close.

Now, there is a big opening on my car between the bottom lip of the bumper cover and the panel the radiator is in, so the fan can pull air through from that area. When I do my belly pan, that will be sealed-up, so I'll have to take other steps. But right now, I'm seeing no overheating issues. So you should be fine.
To be honest, it think much of it was the P&G EOC that had the most effect. I've been trying to incorporate more eco driving on my way to work. My goal is to get above 47mpg, but I'm aiming at 50+

So far, no issues here either. Although an SG or similar would be better than the temp gauge to monitor temps...

The Following User Says Thank You to Pierrel For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-09-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
It wasn't much of a deer. Every time I have hit one the front end was mangled for 2-4000 bux.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Hey, I'm catching you, Pierrel! I see your Tiny Sponge is in 77th place, and my White Gnat is right behind it in 78th. This must be the attack of the Swifts - coming together to fly in formation. Go, Swifts!!!

(now where's that other one? Seems there's a third 4-cylinder Swift on here...)

EDIT: OK, found it; "sarguy's" 1995 4-cylinder Metro, "beater". But he's way down in the rankings - 33 MPG or so. Come on "beater" - 4-cylinders unite!!

Last edited by wmjinman; 03-12-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread