Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #91 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Hyper Black - '10 Honda Insight LX
90 day: 47.24 mpg (US)

Unit-02 Red Insight - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 71.32 mpg (US)
But a true hypermiler would never use A/C!!

I guess you're in Florida, so that beats Georgia, but last summer here in Atlanta I had no A/C and well I just wore like shorts and a tank top every day. When I was on the highway I'd have the windows up. Sure was hot, but I got great MPG!! Windows always came down at low speed//coming to a stop lol.

But, going back to the IMA again, my record was without using the battery. I had the clutch switch on the whole time. When coming to a stop I'd disable it to get regen but I kept the battery at the top two bars almost the whole time. This means no background charging, which would normally be an MPG killer. But I still had use of auto-stop via my auto-stop switch. In any case, my thought was if I had to use the brakes then I must have done something wrong from a hypermiling perspective. But the IMA likewise sucks up momentum, so if you're charging the IMA you are probably doing something wrong, once again from a hypermiling perspective. Conservation of momentum is fuel economy. I don't think anything else matters more than that, and something like the IMA that gets in the way of that is not helping.

But.... having the IMA barely functional, as I did, where I was regening when in situations where I was forced to brake, is probably a good plan because then the IMA is still maintaining the 12V battery. So I guess if I regen down a hill or coming into a stop, then that means I got regen energy going into the 12V instead of burning fuel directly for that purpose. But you could of course say that every time I was in regen that means I screwed up somewhere earlier by allowing myself to enter a situation where I needed to slow down with regen. This is all probably starting to sound really convoluted, please forgive me. Clearly a better solution would be use solar power or grid power to top off the 12-v before driving and then avoid using any peripherals, but then we're going yet another level deeper into hypermiling.

Silver 2001 Insight (Sold)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #92 (permalink)
Ninja class cheapomodder

Ron Burgundy (retired) - '01 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 71.2 mpg (US)

High Voltage - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premier
Team Volt
90 day: 156.5 mpg (US)
Hey, I never said I wasn't a lazy hypermiler

The Insight was the first car I owned in decades that had air, heck yes I was gonna use it! I use the Eco AC setting most days on the Volt, too

Quote:
Conservation of momentum is fuel economy. I don't think anything else matters more than that
Yup, there's a lot more to hypermiling than just driving slow (although that's a biggie).

In the Volt I spend my entire commute in EV mode, so I P&G at every chance, but I balance it out with a minimal loss of momentum. At this point I know every inch of my usual route, where to gain and lose momentum to my advantage, and where it makes more sense to slow quickly for regen versus coasting

If I only had a dollar for every time I've saved gas . . . wait, I do!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gaptooth - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 60.55 mpg (US)

Work Van - '16 Chevy Express 2500
90 day: 15.31 mpg (US)
I'd really love to do a Volt or Accord Plug In swap into my Insight. I like the Accord's more efficient gasoline engine, but the Volt's systems will probably be more easily acquired and there's greatly increased electric range.

Reply  Post New Thread