Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OHRALLY - '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
90 day: 34.06 mpg (US)

COROLLYPOLY - '02 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 46.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
I hate to bring up a dead thread but there is a bit of misinformation in this thread or one extraordinary corolla! First off scan tools can not be trusted. fill your tank, refill, keep records, and do the math! I personally have a 2002 corolla le auto with 100k and friends coworker has a 2002 corolla s 5 speed just like in the original post. His best so far was 42mpg and averages high 30's. At best my car averages 34-38mpg on full tanks during long trips. 30-32 at the lowest. I also have a scan tool but I never paid much attention to it, later I found out it was far off.

When the car was lowered with the largest tires that would fit, I saw 26-32mpg. Having an injen cold air intake with aftermarket exhaust, cat and mid pipe resonator, surprisingly, did not seem to affect mpg at all while lowered with large high quality rims and tires.

I returned the car to stock and performed the following maintenance items: front and back o2 sensors, new oem cat, new pcv, cleaned throttle body and maf sensor, new plugs, new filter, all fluids exchanged, kyb gr2 shocks all around and lastly new tires on old rims. All of that merely bumped my mpg from 34 to 38 on long distances and a about the same around town. Reattaching the intake and exhaust yielded no change in mpg. Bolting up a straight pipe has yielded 39mpg on one tank so far. During all this my scan tool regularly reads in the low 40's. Scan tools are always inaccurate in my experience.

I've owned a mid 90's corolla before and had experience with a few other corollas and always experienced similar mpg's.
My new (stock) 2002 Corolla LE 111K miles was filled up (one click), driven 170 hwy miles, and then quadruple topped off (to the disadvantage of mpg (pump stopped at 2.4 2.7 3.0 3.222))

170/3.222 = 52.76

Even if there was an entire gallon error, that would still come out to

170/4.222 = 40.26

And thats before I put in new o2's PCV MAF air filter oil grill blocks mirror delete lowering new shocks LRR's and etcs!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread