Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
2005 Civic LX Sedan - 46.97 MPG!!!

I got this car in July. I bought it because I wanted a car a little newer than my 1995 Geo Metro. I sold the Metro and got the Civic sedan. As you can see from my fuel log, I am getting in the mid 30's on average. Well tonight, I filled up the tank after traveling 480 miles and was a little surprised to see 46.97 mpg... But, I can believe it. This tank had neutral coasting the whole time. I did a little P&G too. Thanks to Darcane and Vman455, I now have a functioning kill switch and am starting to use it for some EOCing. This tank had very, very little EOCing.

For the new tank, I really want to start EOCing more. It is tough to get used to in traffic and figuring when it is appropriate and when it isn't. I am also nervous that my three year old Interstate battery is going to die at a traffic light or something. I do have a battery charger/tender, so I may charge the battery every night. The car and my wife's car are both parked in the garage every night. While not heated, it is usually a good 20 degrees warmer than outside. It really helps. My engine takes minutes to warm up.

Right now the only mod is a kill switch. It also has new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on it pumped to 44 psi. I may add some lawn edging in the future and possibly a few other aero mods. California98civic has a lot of things done and I might have to follow in some of his footsteps.

Again, a big thanks to the members I mentioned, but also the entire forum. There is so much great info on this site and it all comes from the members.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarguy01 For This Useful Post:
darcane (01-28-2014), poomanchu (01-28-2014), user removed (01-28-2014), Vman455 (01-31-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Sounds great, close to the Metro in mileage with alot more comfort. Especially significant in light of the very cold temps we have had in eastern Va lately. A grille block helped my Fiesta to the tune of about 10%, right at half the winter mileage loss without one in these almost constant below freezing temps. Also try to avoid using the AC compressor which Ford likes to have running when I select defroster.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 01-28-2014 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Sounds great, close to the Metro in mileage with alot more comfort. Especially significant in light of the very cold temps we have had in eastern Va lately. A grille block helped my Fiesta to the tune of about 10%, right at half the mileage loss without one in these almost constant below freezing temps. Also try to avoid using the AC compressor which Ford likes to have running when I select defroster.

regards
Mech
You know, this tank even had two days of driving on the ice and snow. I really lost a lot of coasting ability. I can't wait for tonight. People in VA Beach can barely drive in the rain, let alone snow. We are supposed to get 7-10 inches! We aren't leaving the house...

The Civic, while still a pretty simple car, is much better for our family. It is more comfortable, quieter, and doesn't require a lot of maintenance. (With the exception of the upcoming timing belt change, but hey, it needs to be done) I think back to the Metro and the mileage I could have gotten from it if I starting neutral coasting and EOC. But hey, if I can average just 40 mpg in the Civic, I will be happy. My Dad's old 2010 Civic Hybrid got 40 mpg.

I am thinking about a grill block. I see there are several Civics on here with them. I also want to try the lawn edging on the bottom of the bumper. My stock diffuser (the rubber Honda puts under the bumper to break up the airflow) is falling off from parking, when pulling up over curbs.

I can also hear my compressor kicking on when defrost is selected. Parking the car in the garage overnight really helps me not use the defroster in the morning. When I do need to use it, I use it sparingly.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Congrats!

Yes, the Metro would have been kicking out great numbers with EOC and neutral coasting. Low/mid 60's are pretty easy. But you can't argue that the Civic is more refined.

Quote:
I do have a battery charger/tender, so I may charge the battery every night.
Trickling can't hurt.

When I kill my engine at long stops/lights at night, I usually also turn off my headlights to lessen the battery drain (leaving the parking/marker lights on of course).
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Congrats on the good mileage!

Incidentally, I just changed the timing belt on my cousin's 01 Civic. It wasn't difficult, just time consuming. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Congrats! This is inspiring to me, you just hit my goal I am just starting to EOC and really thinking of where to put my injector kill switch.

Timing belt is not hard to do especially on a single cam, best of luck if doing it yourself. Make sure you replace the tensioner, water pump and front main seal while at it. It would be just the cost of parts at this point since you are already there.

The Following User Says Thank You to poomanchu For This Useful Post:
user removed (02-11-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
I got this car in July. I bought it because I wanted a car a little newer than my 1995 Geo Metro. I sold the Metro and got the Civic sedan. As you can see from my fuel log, I am getting in the mid 30's on average. Well tonight, I filled up the tank after traveling 480 miles and was a little surprised to see 46.97 mpg... But, I can believe it. This tank had neutral coasting the whole time. I did a little P&G too. Thanks to Darcane and Vman455, I now have a functioning kill switch and am starting to use it for some EOCing. This tank had very, very little EOCing.

For the new tank, I really want to start EOCing more. It is tough to get used to in traffic and figuring when it is appropriate and when it isn't. I am also nervous that my three year old Interstate battery is going to die at a traffic light or something. I do have a battery charger/tender, so I may charge the battery every night. The car and my wife's car are both parked in the garage every night. While not heated, it is usually a good 20 degrees warmer than outside. It really helps. My engine takes minutes to warm up.

Right now the only mod is a kill switch. It also has new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on it pumped to 44 psi. I may add some lawn edging in the future and possibly a few other aero mods. California98civic has a lot of things done and I might have to follow in some of his footsteps.

Again, a big thanks to the members I mentioned, but also the entire forum. There is so much great info on this site and it all comes from the members.
Not too shabby.

I was having some battery trouble with mine too. I bought a new Optima yellow-top, but I also bought a digital voltmeter that fits in the cigarette lighter off Amazon (~$12). It allows me to constantly keep tabs on the battery and I will just let it run if it's too low (so far, not a problem with the new battery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
I am thinking about a grill block. I see there are several Civics on here with them. I also want to try the lawn edging on the bottom of the bumper. My stock diffuser (the rubber Honda puts under the bumper to break up the airflow) is falling off from parking, when pulling up over curbs.

I can also hear my compressor kicking on when defrost is selected. Parking the car in the garage overnight really helps me not use the defroster in the morning. When I do need to use it, I use it sparingly.
You can check out the thread in my signature for grill block and air dam ideas.

As for the AC...

Like most manufacturers, Honda turns on the AC when you move to defrost and you can't turn it off. Unlike most manufacturers, Honda allows you to change this behavior. With a simple procedure you can change it to manually toggle the AC:
DIY: Shutting of A/C during defrost
It will still turn on AC when you select Defrost, but just push the button and it will turn back off.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Congrats!

Yes, the Metro would have been kicking out great numbers with EOC and neutral coasting. Low/mid 60's are pretty easy. But you can't argue that the Civic is more refined.

Trickling can't hurt.

When I kill my engine at long stops/lights at night, I usually also turn off my headlights to lessen the battery drain (leaving the parking/marker lights on of course).
Headlights off is a good idea. That will definitely save some battery.

I do miss the Metro. While it had its faults, the car was amazing!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomanchu View Post
Congrats! This is inspiring to me, you just hit my goal I am just starting to EOC and really thinking of where to put my injector kill switch.

Timing belt is not hard to do especially on a single cam, best of luck if doing it yourself. Make sure you replace the tensioner, water pump and front main seal while at it. It would be just the cost of parts at this point since you are already there.
I put my switch right next to the shifter. I also put a safety switch up next to my fog light switch. I'll have to post up pics soon.

I am not worried about the timing belt. I will surely replace everything while I have the car apart! Spending an extra $100 to save some labor in the future is definitely worth it.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Not too shabby.

I was having some battery trouble with mine too. I bought a new Optima yellow-top, but I also bought a digital voltmeter that fits in the cigarette lighter off Amazon (~$12). It allows me to constantly keep tabs on the battery and I will just let it run if it's too low (so far, not a problem with the new battery).

You can check out the thread in my signature for grill block and air dam ideas.

As for the AC...

Like most manufacturers, Honda turns on the AC when you move to defrost and you can't turn it off. Unlike most manufacturers, Honda allows you to change this behavior. With a simple procedure you can change it to manually toggle the AC:
DIY: Shutting of A/C during defrost
It will still turn on AC when you select Defrost, but just push the button and it will turn back off.
I've checked out your threads too. Definitely helped to see them!

I am going to look into the AC. I didn't know there was a way around it.

Unless the mod is under $20, I am on a strictly "replace when needed budget", with the exception of preventative maintenance parts. I'd love an Optima, but not until this battery is toast.

Reply  Post New Thread