Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '95 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 27.43 mpg (US)
****UPDATE****

So I drove the Hybrid today to work (both IMA and engine lights present in the morning). This afternoon when I drove home, the IMA light was off and engine light was still on. So, I stopped by a local auto parts store.

They said they couldn't 'load' test my starter battery but could run the codes.

POA7F

That was the only code present.

Thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Okay, the P0A7F is the 2005+ version of a P1447. It means the battery has dropped below 10% of its' original capacity.

A grid charge/maintenance charge will help this. Its likely you got some cells out of balance and they are pooping out before the other cells causing the over all pack to give up the ghost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
DOHCschwab (08-02-2014), redpoint5 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Okay, the P0A7F is the 2005+ version of a P1447. It means the battery has dropped below 10% of its' original capacity.

A grid charge/maintenance charge will help this. Its likely you got some cells out of balance and they are pooping out before the other cells causing the over all pack to give up the ghost.
Thank you - Grid Charger will be my next investment then. I'm gonna search through this site and see which grid charger I need. Any recommendations on a grid charger?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You can build one your self stacking a few led power supplies by mean well. Basically you hook the outputs in serial and the inputs in parallel. You adjust them for a certain voltage depending on your pack and drivers side door jam sticker. Is yours 144 volts? I cant remember which, but one year of HCH they added some extra cells making it 156 volts or so.

Ultra Cheap Grid Charger - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
You can build one your self stacking a few led power supplies by mean well. Basically you hook the outputs in serial and the inputs in parallel. You adjust them for a certain voltage depending on your pack and drivers side door jam sticker. Is yours 144 volts? I cant remember which, but one year of HCH they added some extra cells making it 156 volts or so.
Unfortunately I dont have the proper time this month or next to sit down and build one.

Looks like Hybrid Automotive system is popular....
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Hey,

I got the Hybrid Automotive grid charger when my 03 HCH started throwing low battery codes. It was a real kick seeing the voltage output slowly climb over the next several hours.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that my battery also has a small short in at least one cell, since I've never gotten to the point of ramping down the current to finish off the battery at peak voltage. But even so, whenever I get the low voltage code - I don't even put on the reader anymore, I just see the IMA light and put it on the charger overnight - the grid charger is sufficient to balance the pack enough and usually, with a couple of overnights on the charger, it's good for at least six weeks of IMA light-free driving.

That's a lot cheaper than a new pack. I'd love a new pack, especially the upgraded, high-capacity models some places are touting. But this was affordable, so here we are. And it keeps the car's fuel economy in the stratosphere, so it's all gravy to me.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
DOHCschwab (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hey,

I got the Hybrid Automotive grid charger when my 03 HCH started throwing low battery codes. It was a real kick seeing the voltage output slowly climb over the next several hours.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that my battery also has a small short in at least one cell, since I've never gotten to the point of ramping down the current to finish off the battery at peak voltage. But even so, whenever I get the low voltage code - I don't even put on the reader anymore, I just see the IMA light and put it on the charger overnight - the grid charger is sufficient to balance the pack enough and usually, with a couple of overnights on the charger, it's good for at least six weeks of IMA light-free driving.

That's a lot cheaper than a new pack. I'd love a new pack, especially the upgraded, high-capacity models some places are touting. But this was affordable, so here we are. And it keeps the car's fuel economy in the stratosphere, so it's all gravy to me.
Wonderful info! Thanks

I've read up on chargers and Hybrids seems to be the way to go. I haven't shopped for a good price but did notice that on ebay they go for about 430+14= $443. Anyone reading wanna chime in on a better place to buy from?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You could join the insightcentral.net site and see if you can get one from placing an ad in the want ad section.

If you are going to own a hybrid this is a nice tool to keep its battery in good shape. Think Im the only one with the newer insight that owns and uses one several times a year. Yes, even the new packs get out of balance over time with daily use.

Reply  Post New Thread