Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

eh I don't know. I'd rather see something more "real world" rather than a race of who idle along longer. To me it would show more success and ability, pulling off said numbers, running the speed limit, dealing normal traffic, and under more real weather conditions rather than a perfect summer day on the back roads.

Its like driving a Jeep down a gravel road, its "off roading" and kudos for trying, but its not mud bogging, tree clawing, creek crossing, drive to the top of a mountain, off road.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
It would prolly take a while, but I bet I could push an insight around the course,
Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
It would prolly take a while, but I bet I could push an insight around the course,
Or a Hummer. Just think of the hype: H2 gets 60MPG when driven by the head crazy, Wayne!! You can do it too!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Or a Hummer. Just think of the hype: H2 gets 60MPG when driven by the head crazy, Wayne!! You can do it too!!!
A whole new generation of hypermilers tailgating trucks on the highway and rolling over when they take turns too fast.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
Who needs to push an insight. I would just tow it around the course by bicycle

Seriously, I think it is cool to see them push the mpg limits. I would prefer to see a highway mpg rally where they have to go above 50mph.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo View Post
Who needs to push an insight. I would just tow it around the course by bicycle

Seriously, I think it is cool to see them push the mpg limits. I would prefer to see a highway mpg rally where they have to go above 50mph.
Truly,

hey hey, would EcoModder want to setup something like that? Make our own "world" cup. I have no idea on what kind of logistics that would entail, but everything out of cleanmpg has always been that of the super slow, why not go fast? We have a wide array of vehicles, each kind pushing some seriously cool numbers, all real world.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Everyone can come to my house one weekend and we'll call it the "2008 Universe Fuel Economy Championships." Then I'll borrow someone's insight so I can win and call myself the "Champion of the Universe"

But seriously now...
Old 06-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
But I'm just kidding, guys and gals. Nevertheless, I think we should think about this: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...y-ny-3052.html

Fun, real world fuel economy, eh?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi all,

I am a little surprised by this thread. I came over here to give an update as to what happened at the event and now think it would be better to give some insight(no pun intended) as to how it came about.

Wayne Gerdes and I came up with the idea of getting the best hypermilers in the world together to have a fuel economy championship. We were on a trip together coming back from an MPG challenge sponsored by a city. We came up with the idea that these MPG challenge events would be best if they were managed and organized by hypermilers for hypermilers. Jointly we decided then and there to organize and event. We knew that the first event would have to be small, but we had to start somewhere. This event is not run by one of the big corporations with an agenda and lots of money, it is run by hypermilers like you and me. Even so, it is an arduous undertaking, requiring months of planning, preparation and at considerable expense. Hypermilers from 3 continents were invited. As it turned out, only hypermilers from the US were able to attend. If you personally weren't invited, please don't feel slighted, the 2nd event is already in the works and will much bigger with many more categories. Our intend was not to exclude anybody, but being the first time through, we had to make some decisions. I fully expect that future events will be open to all qualified hypermilers.

It's over now, the numbers will be posted soon and we now have an event put together by hypermilers for hypermilers. In the past several years there has been a lot of MPG challenges put together. Some of which are put together without much thought. We decided to put one together that we as hypermileres organize and control. Rather then criticise our efforts, I would have expected accoladels because this was put together without the big corporations and without a commercial agenda. I often see here and other places that people are so troubled that the big corporations seem to want to control everything. Well hypermilers put this together. No money from big corporations was involved. We felt that if we as hypermilers didn't start and manage this event, some big corporation would. And I think we all know what that would be like.

As in any event, especially the first time through, it is a daunting endevour. Who to invite, what vehicles to include. What is the venue, the format, control criteria and standards. It was more complicated then you may think. There were people invited from 3 continents, Only US participants were able to come. Considerable money, time and expertise was required from all participants.

As to the title "World Fuel Ecomony Championships". Without a doubt, Wayne Gerdes lends credibiltiy to that title. At this point in time, without Wayne in attendance, it would not be the World Championships. You may not agree with this, but I challenge you to look at the final numbers when they are posted. Wayne after all coined the term hypermiling. I could list the MPG challenge wins, hypermiling clinics, local news interviews, radio spots, national covered cross country news events, cross country reenactments, auto show review, auto reviews and the list goes on. It is my opinion that Wayne has earned the right to manage and run the World Fuel Economy Championships.

So at this point I would ask you to join with us and celebrate this achievment. Start practicing your techniques. There will be more categories and many more events in the next championships.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Bestmapman -

I'm sorry if you took my comments the wrong way. Joking, I mostly was, but the sense of offense at being categorically excluded from the "World Fuel Economy Championships" does exist.

You guys truly did have great numbers. I'm sure I have neither the car nor the practice to get such numbers in that kind of driving. I have great respect for most of you, and if you haven't noticed, have always welcomed you here.

Hope there are no hard feelings, if you wanna chew me out, send me a PM,

-Ben

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
2008, 2008wfec, wfec