Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmapman View Post
At this point in time, without Wayne in attendance, it would not be the World Championships.
I attended the Insight challenge in Oklahoma a couple years back. I got to meet Wayne then. At the time, we had a disagreement about inter-site links, sigs, etc. I went down to talk it over, meet some FE folks, and perhaps come to some sort of compromise. On the plus side, I got to drive an Insight for the first time, learn a few techniques, and was offered lunch. I appreciate the time that folks (including Wayne) took that day to include me in the activity.

Long story short, we agreed to disagree about the Site issue, and left it at that. I soon left as CMPG as a member over the disagreement. No offense to anyone there, but the hybrid-heavy atmosphere and the lack of inter-site cooperation at the time was very frustrating.

He has, indeed, contributed quite a bit to promoting hypermiling, and is quite good at it; but, to say that you can't have the competition without him seems like a blind following, IMO.

WG gets press coverage -- plain and simple. My concern is that this type of competition will attract a negative connotation to hypermiling. It simply isn't a real-world implementation of technique. I strongly believe in including a cycle of highway speeds in either testing a vehicle or in competition. This would appeal to a wider group of people -- to reach out to more people looking to save fuel. I see that as a big part of my personal mission here.

Would you not agree that an integrated approach to multiple vehicle types, vehicle modifications, technique, and a higher-speed, challenging course, would yield a better outward acceptance? There are gasser and Diesel drivers out there that are very deserving of this kind of attention.

I'm in no way speaking on behalf of this site or its members. I am taking off my "moderator hat" and speaking as a someone who cares about this site and its members. I am here at EM because of the quality of conversation and membership, diversity of those members, their vehicles, and multiple (often new) approaches to saving fuel. This thread start seemed like a stark contrast to those ideals. I was frankly taken aback by it.

I applaud the camaraderie you have within your group, and the achievements at the competition. I just felt like it just didn't fit most of what I look for here at EcoModder; further, representation of this Site was absent -- which seemed to strike me as both odd and rather disappointing.

Those are my feelings on the topic. Also feel free to PM to discuss further. I hope you were able to hone your skills and share some information during the get-together.

Best Regards...

-Rick Harrell (RH77)

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Can't we all just get along...

I'm really impressed with your guys' ability to pull off the competition.

However, I'm not a fan of proselytizing. Friendly competition is great, but I don't think it should turn into an advertising campaign. What is the value of "selling" the sport? I say keep the door open, but leave the neon signs at home.

Thanks for keeping us informed. I may sound negative, but impressive ability deserves to be noticed. It's always nice to hear about people pushing the limits of what is possible.

- LostCause
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
There is a reason I hardly ever post over as cmpg or gs. It mainly has to do with the general attitude and shallowness of discussed subjects.

But anyway, if I may suggest something, that would be to organize an annual meet where you invite vendors/sponsors, hold challenges and conferences, etc.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks all for your responses. As in any event there are a multitude of opinions and ideas. In any event like this, you have to start somewhere. The decision was made to keep the first one small and build from there. One of the things we wanted to show was the great numbers that could be achieved. What has come out of this are two new driving techniques for Prius and FEH. They will be published shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I strongly believe in including a cycle of highway speeds in either testing a vehicle or in competition. This would appeal to a wider group of people
I couldn't agree more. Given the conditions we couldn't make it happen on this event, however I hope it will be a big part in future events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Would you not agree that an integrated approach to multiple vehicle types, vehicle modifications, technique, and a higher-speed, challenging course, would yield a better outward acceptance? There are gasser and Diesel drivers out there that are very deserving of this kind of attention.
Great points. I have a TDI. I wanted to include it. It wasn't to be in this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
But anyway, if I may suggest something, that would be to organize an annual meet where you invite vendors/sponsors, hold challenges and conferences, etc.
All good points. You're reading my mind.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoHypermiler

Value of selling "the sport."
There is great value for "selling the sport." If a small percentage of people are made aware that whatever car they own can get: 20 mpg instead of 15 mpg, 45 mpg instead of 35 mpg, 75 mpg instead of 50 mpg: less fuel will be burned and the people will have more $$$ in their pocket to spend elsewhere, etc. It is done to help everyone drive whatever they have more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Can't we all just get along...
However, I'm not a fan of proselytizing. Friendly competition is great, but I don't think it should turn into an advertising campaign. What is the value of "selling" the sport?
- LostCause

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
2008, 2008wfec, wfec