EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   2010 Prius Build Thread (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2010-prius-build-thread-34665.html)

hayden55 12-14-2016 09:22 PM

2010 Prius Build Thread

3 Attachment(s)
I figured I'd try and start an actual build thread for fun and to help me keep up with an organize the data and things I do to my car. I plan to put as many miles as I can on this car to see how long it will go, and so I can save up for another race car. So here it is!

2010 Toyota Prius iii: Cloth seats, JBL speakers... the typical three pack.
Drove from Akron, OH back to my hometown 700 miles and averaged 39.1mpg at 45F. Not quite the EPA estimate of 51/48/50 :P

When I got back I realized what I thought was a good setup was a ...
1. Dirty air filter,
2. Conventional oil change,
3. Tires from 20-30 psi,
4. Left rear tire at 0.34 neg toe and all the other tires at .02 neg toe,
5. Cooper CS3 tires.

Round One of improvements:
(no alignment or oil change yet...)
1. New standard air filter for 8 bucks,
2. All tires at 50 psi cold,
3. Weight Reduction! (Goals: no effect on NVH or comfort)
Items removed: Jack Kit, spare tire and foam, trunk mat, trunk pull shade, rear carpet mats, engine snorkel, engine cover, owners manuals, front plate frame, three rear head rest (increased visibility too), rear wiper, oem antenna, washer fluid drained (typically a little over a gallon at about 8 pounds).
Well take this as a 95% accurate measurement since I have a crap bathroom scale but... 66.6 pounds. :D Ironic.
Edit: passenger wiper removed. -3.2lb
4. Aero improvements: Rear wiper delete with stud still hanging out, passenger mirror folded in, three inch stubby antenna, front plate and bracket removed, EDIT: deleted passenger wiper as well.
5. Some Trump stickers for good measure. I have to let people know i'm a straight republican 20 year old male. (can't have the standard barrage of liberal stickers ;) )
6. 35w LED low beams. Looks premium AF *slightly sarcastic* but hey they have the oem hid bling factor for cheap and are very bright.
7. I have an EBH and a wifi smart plug ready to be installed too when i get time :turtle:

So i'm sure we cut some drag and rolling resistance nicely, and if specs are right we reduced weight 2.3% for free!
Old: 3042 lb
Current: 2972 lb
Since lighter cars are more fun to drive and cheaper on consumables.

Next on the agenda?
1. Honda 0w16 Full Syn
2. Front: 195/65/15 Michelin Energy Saver a/s
3. Rear: 175/65/15 Michelin Energy Saver a/s
4. Alignment with the new tires. Set closest to 0.01 neg toe at each corner as possible.
5. Remove brake dust shields and other small weight improvements.
6. Convert the oem setup to coilover springs on the cheap. 150lb front/ 175lb rear springs, adjustable heights, 20-25lb weight reduc.
7. 90% Crystalline Windshield, 40% around.
8. Delete plug and remove full rear wiper assembly
9. Mirror cap for passenger mirror delete

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...6&d=1481768518

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...7&d=1481768518

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...8&d=1481768518

Daox 12-15-2016 11:14 AM

Nice round of first mods! I look forward to seeing the fuel log.

Ecky 12-15-2016 11:45 AM

Subscribed.

vskid3 12-15-2016 11:54 AM

Just a note on the dirty air filter, it probably wasn't hurting mileage (see the bottom of this page Gas Mileage Tips - Keeping Your Vehicle in Shape ). I probably take it too far, though. I haven't changed my Prius' air filter in the nearly 45k miles I've had it...

Did you remove the dealer frame around the rear plate? I remove all the dealer stuff as soon as I get home, they're not paying me for advertising.

hayden55 12-16-2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 529554)
Just a note on the dirty air filter, it probably wasn't hurting mileage (see the bottom of this page Gas Mileage Tips - Keeping Your Vehicle in Shape ). I probably take it too far, though. I haven't changed my Prius' air filter in the nearly 45k miles I've had it...

Did you remove the dealer frame around the rear plate? I remove all the dealer stuff as soon as I get home, they're not paying me for advertising.

I removed the two that came with it but added a stillen one for the rear I got with my mustang's brake kit lol
Yeah I just like to take care of my cars so when I see something that needs to be done for maintenance the OCD kicks in and I just have too. Plus I figure the thought of a million mile prius would be cool. It revs like a diesel and I drive it easy so it has a chance :D if i take good care of it . A guy in memphis just traded his million mile prius back into Wolfchase toyota. Still runs and they relisted it on cars.com Makes me wonder if he got anything for it??
Next thing I will probably do will be the revenol 0w16or honda ultfull and ATF fluid (since i doubt its been changed @95k miles :( *worried face*

Daox 12-16-2016 12:11 AM

Not sure about the 3rd gen, but the 2nd gen trans fluid change interval is 100k. I wouldn't worry about it. I would definitely go with the Toyota brand ATF WS (or whatever is specced for the 3rd gen) that is made for the Prius trans though. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket equivalent. I've talked with a friend who is an Amsoil dealer and he recommended the Toyota brand fluid. Its not that expensive either. I paid $9 a quart for mine at a local dealer.

hayden55 12-16-2016 12:27 AM

I'm going to look into the specs and see the different characteristics between the oils. Do you happen to know the oil certification required to be compatible with the Toyota oil? The revenol had a LOT of compatibilty since it was SAE certified as well.

Revenol ATF T-WS is compatible with the Toyota world standard ATF and is a gen 5 type oil.

Daox 12-16-2016 08:28 AM

As I said, I'm not sure what is specced for the 3rd gen transmission. I know that when I got mine, there was a newer trans oil that they had there, and I was told not to use it by forums and the parts guy. The 3rd gen may use that oil, but I'm not sure.

hayden55 12-24-2016 11:53 PM

Update: Comparing transmission fluids between compatible eCVT fluids and not just praying Dexron IV works and throwing it in I saw a wide range of kinematic viscosity's at 100 degree CST's as listed below (in mm2/s):
Toyota WS: 7.2
Motul CVTF: 7.2
Mobil Dexron IV: 5.83
Ravenol T-WS: 6.05

So after using google translate to see that the german prius owners liked the ravenol I pulled the trigger and picked some up to put in this weekend. I know the numbers wont directly compare in the real world but that a 19% difference.

Next, I need an oil change in 1500 miles so I picked up a 10 pack of oem oil filters for 16 bucks and compared oils once again (listed in mm2/s, $ price for 4qt/L):
Honda Green Oil (Ultfull 0w-16): 8.156, 42.72
Toyota 0w-20: 9.0, 39.84
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20: 8.3, 30.35
Ravenol 0w-16: 7.1, 49.99
Motul 0w-15:5.1, 66.33

Motul is pricey but is a 76% cut at the 100 degree cst point. Honestly if i'm not mistaken this oil is directly in line with honda's non sae certified super thin Jap oil someone was talking about. Foo for thought?
Ravenol is cheaper and is a 27% cut @...
Over 10,000 miles I wonder which would come out cheaper since I've seen some people tout the thinner fluids on this forum.

Also I should add people already use like 0w5 weight oils for super stock racing but most people arent brave enough to run them outside the track.

The only problem now is the pricing lol
Help me make the decision :P

Also got my wiper delete plug, and put my spare back in after driving over a nail at a construction site... :(
And I have my half inch pipe foam to make my grille block as well.

hayden55 12-27-2016 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my trans oil change and it came out completely black with no color to it after 96k and I finally finished up my mirror delete and got my rear wiper delete plug. Used plexiglass and cut it to shape for the side mirror delete, painted the back side black, and used black rtv to glue it on. I'll come back and smooth clear silicone around the edges to clean it all up. Also got my rear delete plug so i took out the rear wiper assembly altogether. Need to get an accurate scale to start tallying up the things i delete more precisely��
Haven't lost much comfort if any yet and She's starting to come together!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1482876310

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...2&d=1482876310