Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #111 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Suki - '11 Suzuki SX4
Team Suzuki
90 day: 26.26 mpg (US)
2016 Toyota Prius - Frankfurt Motor Show 2015
Anybody see this?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Frankfurt was supposed to be when we learned the technical details - and we got a few, but not about the battery pack, or the possible AWD option, etc.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #113 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
more tech details confirmed

Automotive News has a piece about the car.

Most has been covered in this thread already (0.24 Cd; 2 battery pack options, NiMH and Li; e-AWD option).

Battery tidbit:

Quote:
The lithium battery weighs 24.5 kilograms (54 pounds), compared with to the nickel-metal’s 40.3 kilograms (89 pounds).
It repeats that the car will be 10% more efficient than the last generation, and the ECO model will be even more efficient than that. (Prius XFi!) I was never sure which model that 10% claim applied to.
  • completely re-engineered 1.8-liter engine, 40% thermal efficiency
    Quote:
    "Toyota achieved the improvement partly through a large-volume exhaust gas recirculation system and redesigned air circulation through the combustion and cooling chambers."
  • 60% more rigid body, double rear wishbone suspension
  • active grille shutters
  • lighter motors & transaxle (which goes to parallel gearing from planetary):
    Quote:
    "...20 percent reduction in mechanical loss through friction (engine + transaxle). The outgoing version’s planetary arrangement in the reduction gear has been replaced with parallel gears to further reduce loss."

Full article, more details: http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...rius-with-tech
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-13-2015), NeilBlanchard (10-13-2015), redpoint5 (10-13-2015), Xist (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #114 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Very interesting new specs...

It does say this though which is a bit confusing:

Quote:
The engine delivers a maximum output of 72 kilowatts, while the motor chips in another 53 kilowatts for total power of 125 kilowatts. Toyota did not provide a net horsepower figure.

That compares with about 73 kilowatts for the current engine and about 60 kilowatts for the current motor. The combined net hybrid powertrain output of the third generation is 134hp.
This is odd, but also interesting. The new combo actually puts out less power. I wonder what the combined rating will actually be.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #115 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Very interesting new specs...
This is odd, but also interesting. The new combo actually puts out less power. I wonder what the combined rating will actually be.
Wikipedia says about the 3rd gen:
Quote:
The 1.8-liter gasoline engine (previously 1.5 liters) generates 98 hp (73 kW), and with the added power of the electric motor generates a total of 134 hp (100 kW)
I could not find confirmation that the motor puts out 60 kW. At the very least it doesn't when the engine is at full revs. I see no reason why, considering the way the HSD gearbox works there is no limitation on that account.
So I assume the 3rd gen motor output is just 27 kW.

To compare: my Insight motor yields no more than 10 kW. It does that just at low revs; bolted to the crankshaft, that means that it delivers less power when the engine is at max.

The 3rd gen has a NiMh battery pack just like the Insight, with the same 6.5 Ah capacity but 2.5 times as many cells and higher voltage.
That fits quite well with 27 kW as the correct motor power for the 3rd gen; 2.7 times the Insight motor power. Seems logical, no?

So, if I'm correct at this the total available power on the 4th gen is 25% higher than the 3rd gen; 125 kW instead of 100 kW. It sure could use that.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #116 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
full press release

Here's the full Toyota press release:

Quote:
Toyota Unveils Advanced Technologies in All-New Prius

Prius to have highest fuel economy of any vehicle without a plug

• 1.8-liter VVT-i engine achieves 40 percent thermal efficiency
• Full hybrid system components have been made smaller and lighter, including the electric motor, transaxle, power control unit and hybrid battery
• Newly developed lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride batteries
• Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) chassis delivers impressive driving dynamics
• Toyota Safety Sense system available among other safety enhancements

October 13, 2015
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 13, 2015 - - In its fourth generation, the Toyota Prius is set to take on new markets with groundbreaking environmental performance, a stylish new design, and a fun-to-drive spirit. Today, Toyota is proud to unveil the technological advances that enable its hybrid flagship to break the mold while still remaining true to form.

Toyota has made significant improvements in its new generation full hybrid powertrain, reducing losses, redesigning and relocating key components and reducing weight. Extensive changes to the transaxle, engine and combined hybrid system, generate an expected 10 percent improvement in EPA estimated MPG on core models, with an Eco model that will achieve an even greater improvement.

Engine with Unprecedented Thermal Efficiency
The new Prius retains the established 1.8-liter VVT-i gasoline engine, however, the engine has been completely re-engineered, with remarkable results in terms of performance, fuel economy, and reductions to size and weight.

The new engine achieves a ground-breaking maximum thermal efficiency of 40 percent. This improvement was enabled in part through the use of a large-volume exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system and improvements in combustion efficiency. Additionally, a redesigned air intake port improves airflow inside the combustion chamber, while the coolant passages have been redesigned to optimize internal engine temperature. The friction created by the piston skirts, rotating parts and the oil pump has been reduced, while the use of low-viscosity oil reduces friction between sliding engine components.

Fuel efficiency is also boosted by improvements to heating performance. An active grille shutter has been added to open and close the grille as necessary in response to outside temperatures. The exhaust heat recirculation system has also been improved and made more compact. This recycles exhaust heat from the engine into the coolant to be reused in the heaters and to warm the engine. Cold weather fuel efficiency has also been improved by introducing an engine coolant selector valve and adding a new system which accelerates engine heating.

Transaxle and Electric Motor
The transaxle and motor have been redesigned, delivering a reduction in their combined weight. The motor itself is considerably more compact and gains a better power-to-weight ratio. Notably there is a 20 percent reduction in mechanical losses through friction compared to the previous model. The planetary gear arrangement in the reduction gear has been replaced with parallel gears, which further helps loss reduction.

Power Control Unit
The use of a loss-reduction device in the power control unit cuts losses by about 20 percent. With a more compact design, the unit can now be positioned directly above the transaxle.

New Lithium-Ion or Nickel-Metal Hydride Hybrid Batteries
The new Prius will be available with either a new lithium-ion or a new nickel-metal hydride hybrid battery. While the batteries use established technology, Toyota has succeeded in increasing their energy density, which means more power can be obtained from a smaller unit. This in turn has allowed the battery to be relocated beneath the rear seat, increasing cargo space.

A Hybrid that Handles
The TNGA concept delivers an increase of more than 60 percent in body torsional rigidity, compared to the previous model, by using Laser Screw Welding (with a greater number of weld points), structural adhesives and uniquely shaped frame structures. In addition, the amount of high-tensile strength steel has increased from 3 percent to an impressive 19 percent. Combine these enhancements with its new double wishbone rear suspension and a lower center of gravity, and the result is a hybrid with a sporty ride.

New updates to the hybrid system software improve the feel of acceleration, giving a smooth and direct response in a lower rpm range. To improve brake feel and reduce noise, the all-new Prius utilizes a newly-developed active hydraulic booster for its regenerative brakes.

Functional Beauty
The new Prius displays cutting-edge styling that’s been designed to evoke a stronger emotional response. The TNGA chassis allows for lower lines, while retaining the Prius’s signature triangular silhouette.

The body height has been reduced by 20mm and the high point of the roof has been moved 170mm forward, ensuring plenty of headroom for front seat passengers while also contributing to excellent aerodynamics and an impressive 0.24 coefficient of drag (Cd). The lower center of gravity has also allowed the nose height to be brought down by 70mm and the rearmost section of the hood by 62mm, improving the driver’s forward view.

Standard bi-LED headlamps are fitted, which use a single lens for both high and low beam operation. They have a striking appearance that adds character and emphasis to the front of the car.

The rear of the Prius features strong lines that extend from the rear spoiler through the combination lamps to meet the edges of the bumper. The result is both distinctive and functionally aerodynamic.

Interior Designed to Please the Senses
Staying true to the core concepts of the Prius, Toyota has produced an occupant-friendly interior that focuses on ease of use, with a design that aims to evoke the car’s advanced capabilities while remaining warm and welcoming.

The new instrument panel has a slim, sculpted form, with optimum positioning of the gauges, displays and controls. White accents on the steering wheel and front console tray add to the impact and advanced quality of the design.

New seats have been created to provide more comfort and support and to help ease the strain of long journeys. Innovations in the materials and thicknesses used for the cushion pads help take the strain off the hips and create a more comfortable feel for passengers.

Improvements have also been made to the cushioning of the rear seats in order to match the higher comfort levels achieved in the front seats. Although the car’s height has been reduced, this is not at the cost of space; in fact an innovative ceiling design has increased headroom compared to previous models.

New Features for On-board Information and Comfort
Toyota has improved the look and performance of the multi-information display in the driver’s instrument panel. Data and images are now presented in full color with high resolution graphics on dual, 4.2-inch multi-information display screens. The right-hand section presents speed, fuel level and other basic data and the left-hand section is a multi-display where the driver can select preferred content using a switch on the steering wheel.

There is also a new color head-up display, which projects essential vehicle data and alerts on to the lower section of the windscreen, making information instantly and easily readable without the driver having to take their eyes off the road ahead.

The Smart-flow (S-FLOW) air conditioning system improves efficiency. It detects whether the front and rear passenger seats are occupied and adjusts ventilation and heating performance accordingly, minimizing air flow around any empty seats. This results in making the cabin environment more comfortable and also helps improve fuel efficiency.

Available Advanced Technologies Worthy of the Prius Name
The new Prius will make a significant advance in active and preventive safety measures with the available Toyota Safety Sense P package that includes a Pre-collision System with Pedestrian Detection. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar and a single-lens camera with integrated control to detect both cars and pedestrians. The package also comes with Full-speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

Drivers can also receive parking assistance with the Intelligent Parking Assist, which uses ultrasonic sensors to detect surrounding objects and identify parking spaces. The driver stops the car before the open parking space and by pushing a single button, the system guides drivers to the right position for reverse parking and assists drivers in backing into the space.

Setting the Stage for the Future of Mobility
It started in 1992 with a vision for the future – mobility in harmony with society. Prius, which means “to go before” changed the way we move about the world, and changed the automotive industry forever. More than two decades and over 8 million Toyota hybrid sales later, the all-new, no compromises 2016 Prius stands side by side with its sibling, the hydrogen powered Mirai, poised to change the game yet again. The new Prius will arrive in dealerships
Source: Toyota Unveils Advanced Technologies in All-New Prius | Toyota
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius_WindTunnel_BE5A4061D399929068301EAC6012A0F6ABA2B75D_low.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	18895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius_Underfloor_E61A971734E1FA8EA7D4A759DE77A9766D0754FB_low.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	18896  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (10-13-2015), Daox (10-13-2015), NeilBlanchard (10-14-2015), redpoint5 (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #117 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
That bellypan... it is always interesting to see how they compromise access to engine components with aero. Or at least that seems to be a possible reason for the exposed parts, like the exhaust pipe.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I am glad they used the phrase "without a plug", because cars with plugs are much more efficient. Though that means the plugin Prius is not included in this press release.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #119 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
The belly pan is very close to what I have except the Prius has the section past the muffler that I do not. I was just looking at mine to see if there is any way of improving the coverage without reflecting or trapping heat from the exhaust. It hangs down just low enough to keep me from smoothly crossing that tunnel. The channel between the front and back tires are messy just like mine. Made me think of Basjoosing that area.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 10-15-2015, 01:05 AM   #120 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
There will be a Prius Eco?!

Is it me, or do the tail lights descend into a very vulnerable location?

Reply  Post New Thread