Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I think it costs around 15¢ to plug in my block heater for a couple of hours. The block heater was around $20. I've never bothered to crunch any numbers. The only number I care about is MPG! The more cold starts you have per tank, the more the block heater will help.
Depending upon what one pays for cost per kW or if some are off the grid is a factor.Then throw in the cost of the block heater and that has to be taken into consideration.Have not done enough research on a block heater`s power consumption to add this into the equation.

The Chebby only gets started up about twice a day..Going to work and coming home.Girlfriend does all the stop and shop stuff.

Thank you guys for making light to all these ideas as they are much appreciated.

Now going all the way back to my Geo Metro days and adding slick50 it seemed to add more mpg.Is that the case with these newer cars using synthetic?

2017 Chevy Spark
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Most block heaters are in the 400-2000 watt range.

I would just use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil. Available in 0w-20 or 0w-30. I use the 20. Cheapest way to get it is in 5 quart jugs at Walmart. Even better when Mobil has a rebate.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gasoline Fumes For This Useful Post:
Hockeynut (03-10-2017), Joggernot (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
I don't have any experience with block heaters, they're quite uncommon in my country, but a former school colleague once told me about an old man from his hometown who used to put a simple device known here in Brazil as "rabo quente" (hot tail) in the radiator of an old Chevy truck with a Perkins 4-236 engine (it had been a factory option for some Brazilian Chevy trucks).

It looks like this:

Not really so safe, there is a shocking hazard, but safer versions with a shrouded resistence are available.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
We have those engine in some combine harvesters
DDD but hot tails have been used here in some tractors

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!

Last edited by Fingie; 03-12-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gave the Spark it`s first oil change...By the way all the box stores,Auto Zone,Advance Auto and Oreilly wanted 36.99 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 5w-20.Napa has 5 quarts for 28.99.

First fill up and it is what I expected.283 miles on the tank and 8 1/4 to fill up.34.3 mpg.It sure is a heck of alot better than my Suburban but not anywhere close to the old mits.I am hoping after a complete break in it will do a little better.

2017 Chevy Spark
Old 05-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
Bought a new Spark.1.4 4 banger.So far I like it alot as far as power and handling.Much better than the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage.Gas mileage not as well.I searched the site to find a proper thread to keep this in but could not find.

Very curious what others have done with this car to increase mileage? Is this the best place to start a 2017 Spark thread?..If not please send me or I can go to another thread?

Here is a pic of the new car.
I bought a 2017 Spark last year as well, it was a pain in the ass to get it during the airbag recall, but eventually it came through.

I've generally been satisfied with the vehicle. I got a CVT model, and it confused me for the first several months of ownership. It is a so-called 'two-step' CVT that has two ratio sets, when it switches between the two modes (happens at roughly 40-50kph range) it has a whine, power drops for a second, then it kicks into the second CVT phase. It was very weird, plus Chevrolet has programmed software 'gears' to simulate, so it further makes the CVT act less CVT-like.

Anyway, my real complaint with it are two items: the back seats are not comfortable at all, as in its cramped and not good for other than small commutes. And the most important item: the new Spark with a larger engine doesn't return fuel economy that I'd expect in this segment. Yes, it has performance, but I don't particularly care if it only takes 10 seconds to get to 100 when taking 12 or even 14 would be fine by me. I just wanted to get better fuel economy.

The best fuel economy I get at highway speeds in highway driving is 5.5l/100km, at just over 100km/h. My average fuel economy, with stop and go major city traffic, is just over 7l/100km.

For my American friends, that translates to roughly 42mpg highway, right around 31mpg for average city driving.

While the 42 mpg sounds great, it only occurs under the most optimal conditions: pure highway driving, maintaining 100-105km speeds, and not running a/c. As soon as I turn the a/c on and drive 110-120 it quickly goes to 6l/100km (and at this point I'm tired of converting, so use google. LOL)

I enjoy the Spark: it handles well, it looks good. Am I the only person who wishes they would have kept a smaller engine in this thing? I see no value in the larger engine they installed recently or the poorer fuel economy rankings it provides. I would give ANYTHING for a turbo 60hp diesel that was only 1 litre displacement. I'm ready for a 70mpg vehicle.

Reply  Post New Thread