EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   2wd Durango Thoughts? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2wd-durango-thoughts-24871.html)

d.clair.robinson 02-07-2013 01:35 PM

2wd Durango Thoughts?

So we bought a 2000 2wd Durango (not for the mpg, but we liked the ride and build quality, and we'll be needing more seats soon) but I think this could be a fun challenge, or just frustrating, So tell me what you think about this:

First, an air-dam made of 4" garden trimming
Second, Airtabs or some sort of vortex generators
Third, some sort of flare to keep air from hitting the front tires (they stick out a bit)
Fourth, a plastic body-pan thing underneath most of the vehicle
Fifth, Lowering (maybe 2 rear and 1 front?)

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these SUVs, because at first glance, they don't seem to be the least aerodynamically efficient vehicles, and yet the MPGs is terrible! So I wonder if I can hope for any gains at all with aero mods, or if I should just go with something more ambitious like:

Sixth: Engine swap (maybe a 3.3 or 3.9 cummins, with the right drivetrain)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ksa8907 02-07-2013 02:10 PM

You'll be lucky to see more than 18mpg. Your best mods will be aero.

2000neon 02-07-2013 03:11 PM

Is it a V8 or V6? I wouldn't bother too much with vortex generators (or do a search here for discussions on them). The air dam up front, and tire spats are a great place to start. For lowering, it likely will help, but if you're aiming just to save money, it probably won't be worth it, because the cost will take way too long to pay for itself in savings. However if you want to do it for looks or anything else, then it's all up to you.

Do you do a lot of city or highway driving? I would also recommend an ultragauge or scanguage, to get real time feedback of fuel economy.

bestclimb 02-07-2013 03:14 PM

I don't know what trim line you ended up with or what else you plan on doing with it, but a more efficient final ratio may be available.

EPA estimates your SUV to get 15 combined. If you increase by 50% Which, is doable by avoiding the brakes, slowing down a bit, and making sure your tires are inflated, you are still only getting 22mpg.

fuel economy readout is very key

If mileage is a concern there may be more suitable vehicles.

Bear32LB 02-07-2013 03:16 PM

If it is the 4.7l removing the clutch fan helped my Dakota as long as it has a electric fan for the AC.

PaleMelanesian 02-07-2013 03:54 PM

What does this offer that a 20 mpg minivan doesn't?

ksa8907 02-07-2013 03:58 PM

The old durango was v8 standard, and if im not mistaken that year was either the 318/5.2 or the 360/5.9. You should be able to do a wai.

Bear32LB 02-07-2013 04:00 PM

If it has the 318 or 360, good luck.

justme1969 02-07-2013 04:07 PM

To answer quickly first look in old threads as myself and 2 others have fought this battle already on a few fronts.
Second for the guy who said why not just get the mini van It has a whole style aspect unavailible to all but the new Honda van that I think is a strangely sexy car.???
Dont expect a miracle here as this is a gas sucking pig, well mine is at least.
But its soo fun to drive! FYI ive got the Dakota R/T
The 4 cyl sport truck guys ive spoken with clim mid 30 mpg.
mabe you could drop in one.

baldlobo 02-07-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.clair.robinson (Post 355355)

First, an air-dam made of 4" garden trimming
i'd to this first

Second, Airtabs or some sort of vortex generators
i wouldn't bother with these

Third, some sort of flare to keep air from hitting the front tires (they stick out a bit)
Fifth, Lowering (maybe 2 rear and 1 front?)

if you can skinnier tall tires

Fourth, a plastic body-pan thing underneath most of the vehicle

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these SUVs, because at first glance, they don't seem to be the least aerodynamically efficient vehicles, and yet the MPGs is terrible! So I wonder if I can hope for any gains at all with aero mods, or if I should just go with something more ambitious like:

Sixth: Engine swap (maybe a 3.3 or 3.9 cummins, with the right drivetrain)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

which engine do you have?(4.7,5.2,5.9)

well at least you didn't get the 4x4 version my brother has. I have airtabs on my jeep; they cost me 40km per tank last summer when i put them on, though they do increase my coasting distance/speed; i think.

ps. if you have a luggage rack remove it