Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #191 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 808

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 73
Thanked 667 Times in 329 Posts
F***ing Photobucket. For now, I've left all my hosted pictures on that site, so if you right-click and "open image in new tab" you can still see them.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #192 (permalink)
Focused on MPG
 
ECO-AKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Uphill from the river!
Posts: 323

White Lightning - '05 FORD FOCUS SE ZX4
Team Ford
90 day: 31.88 mpg (US)

Wife's Speedy - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier V6
90 day: 21.61 mpg (US)
Thanks: 69
Thanked 70 Times in 58 Posts
Didn't work on my android note 4 using chrome, but luckily I have a photographic memory
__________________





Staying Focus'd on MPG
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #193 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 808

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 73
Thanked 667 Times in 329 Posts
Thou art Stowaway, and on this rack I will build my tail.



The plan is to use 2" foam board as a base, cut to the planform of the tail, then add 2" forward and rear bulkheads, then 1/2" board formed to nice curves to make the top, sides, and bottom, then fiberglass the whole thing.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-08-2017), Daox (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #194 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 808

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 73
Thanked 667 Times in 329 Posts
I've re-hosted all the pictures on this last page on Ecomodder; I'll keep working my way backwards as I get a chance over the next few days.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-08-2017), BamZipPow (07-31-2017), Daox (07-08-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #195 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: arkansas
Posts: 135

"Proper Shitbox" (SOLD) - '96 Honda Civic LX fully optioned no weight reduction
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)

Plue Brius - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.47 mpg (US)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
So to add to the madness have you considered modifying the regen braking circuit like the first gen pri guys have done? Basically they put a pot in line with the braking circuit and makes the car think your braking way harder at the top of the pedal and gives you a large amount of regen at the top of the pedal without squeezing the **** out of your brakes and losing all that energy.
__________________
1996 Honda Civic LX sedan 5mt. Deceased.
2010 Prius II. Current. Small weight reduction and aero. Scangauge II.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #196 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 808

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 73
Thanked 667 Times in 329 Posts
Some more work on the tail today. I had a couple trips to Kansas in the last month, and just to try out the cargo carrier I installed a box temporarily on back:



Now that I've been home this week, I got some 2" foam board and cut a piece large enough to be the platform for the streamlined tail:



Since I frequently carry bikes in back and use the car for sleeping in on road trips, I wanted to preserve hatch access. The tail is spaced 6" away from the bumper edge to facilitate this, just enough so I can stand between the tail and bumper, and exactly enough clearance for the hatch to swing upward and clear the box.

I took the plan taper from the rear bumper cover--which turned out to be more aggressive than I thought, 12 degrees--and extended it with a straightedge onto the tail platform:



Then, I gradually tapered the angle to 21 degrees at the end of the tail.



Cut out one side:



And then the other:







You'll barely be able to see it coming down the road:



The tail itself is 36" long, giving the car a total 42" extension from the rear bumper edge for a total length of 218", 9" longer than a regular cab 6.5-foot bed F-150. Length/depth ratio of the vehicle system will be 3.81:1, up from the stock 2.99:1, and the width of the tail at the back is 35", a little more than half the width of the car at the rear bumper.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-12-2017), elhigh (11-03-2017), MetroMPG (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #197 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 19,649

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 70.72 mpg (US)

ForkenSwift - '92 Geo Metro EV
Last 3: 95.68 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 47.99 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,136
Thanked 4,891 Times in 2,458 Posts
Quote:
The tail is spaced 6" away from the bumper edge to facilitate this, just enough so I can stand between the tail and bumper, and exactly enough clearance for the hatch to swing upward and clear the box.
Gap fillers at some point in the future?
__________________
Latest mods test: 15 mods = 15% MPG improvement: A-B test, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8L, 5-speed
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown: Nissan Micra 1.6L



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #198 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 808

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.41 mpg (US)
Thanks: 73
Thanked 667 Times in 329 Posts
Perhaps, although I haven't figured out how I would engineer that. This is going to double as a cargo box, since the construction will be a foam/fiberglass sandwich, so the inside will be as rigid as the outside. I think I'm going to include a cutout at the front for the lower window, since that will be even more useful for parking with the extra length. Then, I'll tuft test it to see what the airflow is like and think about gap fillers if necessary.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 8,831
Thanks: 1,922
Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,257 Posts
Quote:
You'll barely be able to see it coming down the road:
I found that too, with my boat tail mock-up.

It looks like a good start. What do you think of having slides under the foam deck, with a lever that would move the whole tail front-and-back the 6 inches you want (or more)?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (08-16-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #200 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 8,367
Thanks: 10,260
Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,441 Posts
3.81:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Some more work on the tail today. I had a couple trips to Kansas in the last month, and just to try out the cargo carrier I installed a box temporarily on back:



Now that I've been home this week, I got some 2" foam board and cut a piece large enough to be the platform for the streamlined tail:



Since I frequently carry bikes in back and use the car for sleeping in on road trips, I wanted to preserve hatch access. The tail is spaced 6" away from the bumper edge to facilitate this, just enough so I can stand between the tail and bumper, and exactly enough clearance for the hatch to swing upward and clear the box.

I took the plan taper from the rear bumper cover--which turned out to be more aggressive than I thought, 12 degrees--and extended it with a straightedge onto the tail platform:



Then, I gradually tapered the angle to 21 degrees at the end of the tail.



Cut out one side:



And then the other:







You'll barely be able to see it coming down the road:



The tail itself is 36" long, giving the car a total 42" extension from the rear bumper edge for a total length of 218", 9" longer than a regular cab 6.5-foot bed F-150. Length/depth ratio of the vehicle system will be 3.81:1, up from the stock 2.99:1, and the width of the tail at the back is 35", a little more than half the width of the car at the rear bumper.
For comparison:
*2005 AeroCivic 3.719,Cd 0.17
*1983 GM Aero 2002, 3.854:1,Cd 0.14
*1983 Ford Probe-IV, 3.828:1, Cd 0.154
*2013 CUER, 4.071:1, Cd 0.11

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com