Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

50 MPG ACHIEVED!!! 94 Civic VX

The old girl did it folks. Starting with a tank full at 10.002 gallons of gas and ending at 503.5 miles on the trip odometer, I finally reached the ever coveted 50 MPG on my stock 94 Honda Civic VX. (i.e. 50.33 for those doing the math)

It took a lot of driving on the freeway at an average of 55 MPH, along with quite a few hypermiling techniques and some angry faces on the road; but my goal was finally achieved.

In terms of what it took, I'm happy to say that I spent more of my time than money to correct everything mechanically that former owner had done (eg. A cracked exhaust manifold from a Civic EX, Autolite spark plugs, wires etc.) rather than taking it to a mechanic. By my own admission, it took me the better part of this summer to fix these problems; but thanks to the advise and generosity of the forum, all became possible.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
The old girl did it folks. Starting with a tank full at 10.002 gallons of gas and ending at 503.5 miles on the trip odometer, I finally reached the ever coveted 50 MPG on my stock 94 Honda Civic VX. (i.e. 50.33 for those doing the math)

It took a lot of driving on the freeway at an average of 55 MPH, along with quite a few hypermiling techniques and some angry faces on the road; but my goal was finally achieved.

In terms of what it took, I'm happy to say that I spent more of my time than money to correct everything mechanically that former owner had done (eg. A cracked exhaust manifold from a Civic EX, Autolite spark plugs, wires etc.) rather than taking it to a mechanic. By my own admission, it took me the better part of this summer to fix these problems; but thanks to the advise and generosity of the forum, all became possible.
I'm going through what you just did (repairs that the previous owner refused to fix) and I'm hoping that when I'm done, I'll be able to get 50+mpg myself. Anyway, good job man! I'm glad you were able to finally achieve your goal!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I'm going through what you just did (repairs that the previous owner refused to fix) and I'm hoping that when I'm done, I'll be able to get 50+mpg myself. Anyway, good job man! I'm glad you were able to finally achieve your goal!
From what I could tell, the former owner didn't know anything about working on cars, given the many receipts that he'd left behind for me; but with said, he kept good records, and knew well enough when to take it in for everything.

Thankfully, I was happy to talk him down $400, given the surprise he had in store with the exhaust manifold. That required a stock set-up with both new & used parts. For those reading this, I've learned that an exhaust manifold for a 92-95 Civic CX and VX are the exact same part. The catalytic converter however; requires you to buy a new OEM part. Plus, the L1H1 5-wire Wideband Oxygen Sensor can be found on Ebay for less than $200.00.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post

I'm probably wrong, but the way I read this is you filled up first with 10.002 gallons but do not mention a fill up after the 503.5 miles. Did you fill up at the 503.5 miles? If so how many gallons? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if so, no bad intent.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
I'm probably wrong, but the way I read this is you filled up first with 10.002 gallons but do not mention a fill up after the 503.5 miles. Did you fill up at the 503.5 miles? If so how many gallons? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if so, no bad intent.
Oh sorry. To be clear, I refilled the tank to 10 gallons even tonight at 503.5 miles. My last fill-up when I'd started was 10.002 gallons of gas. I might have done it backwards; but at any rate, the result still came out to be about the same.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Each angry face increases your mileage by 0.1 MPG, right?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Each angry face increases your mileage by 0.1 MPG, right?
If that was the case, I would always be 15mpg over what I'm actually getting haha.

Reply  Post New Thread