Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
There is a great guy, Mike D. on there, who has developed a Manual IMA kit, and they force him to post all his discussion in one little thread marked "MIMA". Pretty lame... Maybe we should start an "Open" Insight forum. <twiddles fingers>
Mike's able to post freely here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203

I was tickled when he signed up - I've followed his work for a couple of years.

Quote:
I have noticed that the Insight can do some awesome mileage during the daytime but the electrical load and perhaps cooler temperatures at night hit the MPG's like it's nobody's business.

I'm going to pump my tires up to 50psi today, and see what's up.
Have you done any other mods to help build/retain heat? Partial grille block? WAI? Do the Insighters promote the use of block heaters as much as the Prius drivers do - that's certainly worth looking into.

For moving your car around 2x per day, you need Mike D's e-5th wheel!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
radiator block
You may know this already - but if you're going to add a block, you're better off blocking the grille than just the radiator.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ze Future Beam - '00 honda insight
90 day: 66.23 mpg (US)
I think ecomodder is where I'd like to call home, because a free insight-devoted site would probably turn into an I-C by default. I think the majority of I-C are kind of unmechanical folks who instead of going to honda-tech for basic mechanical queries, would rather ask a bunch of other people who dont even change their own oil. I-C has many REALLY knowledgable people, and hopefully we could get them over here, since their limited participation over there may be due to the total lack of overall participation, which is perhaps because the scope of the site is very limited.

My only mod are an 80% rad block, and led interior lights, but a block heater is available thru majestic for like 15 bucks i think, and I may do that. I cant do it at home, since I am in an apt building, but at my bosses house in ct, I could. I have been taking the Metro North train on and off to ct, and am trying to phase the insight out of my commuting, so that it is only for weekend excursions to the country.

Sounds like you have done some pretty extensive modding, and it is possible your warm air mod is too hot, have you measured the iat? That might bring you out of the lean burn window, although in general warmer air helps, of course if its too hot it may do the opposite.

I live in nyc, and already use an unlimited metrocard for subways and buses. What I do is I park about 1/2 mile from the highway, and walk 10 minutes, and use a 10 minute bus from where I live to where I park. I could park in front of my house if I wanted, but it cuts into the mpg. I suggest you try and park on a downhill rather than an uphill. Also, be sure to ease up on the throttle on highway uphills if you can, and try coasting more if you don't already. My 86.9mpg commute would have been about 78mpg if I drove the additional 4 miles, and parked if front of my house. I kn ow what you mean about throwing it in 4th for lean burn, it's kind of ironic how that works.

frank

Last edited by budomove; 03-15-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverXX - '02 Honda CBR1100XX

CRX MKIII - '00 Honda Insight

Buttdragger - '90 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 2
Today I did a 100 mile roundtrip at 74.0 MPG total. Going towards my destination I managed 80MPG before arriving. City driving really killed my mileage (down to about 70MPG) and then I struggled all the way home at about 56mph to get the trip odo back to 74MPG.

I am wondering how much MPG I can save by reducing my electrical load on the IMA system during evening hours. I've calculated before that by going to HID's and LED's I could be saving about 60W during freeway cruising. I'm not sure what that translates into in terms of fuel efficiency.

I don't run any warm air mods but I will likely try to pipe my intake towards the exhaust manifold for warmer air. What a strange thing to do... all my previous cars have always longed for cold air.

I also park my car outside so a block heater wouldn't work for me.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Going towards my destination I managed 80MPG before arriving. City driving really killed my mileage (down to about 70MPG) and then I struggled all the way home at about 56mph to get the trip odo back to 74MPG.
How long is your overall commute, and how long is the city driving near where you live?

Would it be feasible to bike the city portion, or take other transpo?

Sounds like you are at where I am in terms of mpg, and if you cut that city out, then youre golden.

I dont think decreasing the wattage with HID nad LEDS would really help mileage that much, but why the heck not, they at least look cool, and are a lot more modern looking than the insights 1999 speced lights.

What really seems to work (on all cars) is to imagine there is an egg between your foot and the pedal, and try not to break it.
frank
Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SilverXX - '02 Honda CBR1100XX

CRX MKIII - '00 Honda Insight

Buttdragger - '90 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 2
My commute to work is 24 miles. I would say 4 miles of that is city driving. I have 5 stoplights to get on the freeway from home and once I arrive in the city of Berkeley (where I'm a grad student) I have about 2-3 miles of stoplights every other block.

I drive 5% of the time, ride a motorcycle 75% of the time, and take the local "subway" called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) the rest of the time. Last year I was taking BART and bicycling everyday but I got tired of taking so long to get to work (about 1:30 total time vs. 00:40 on the moto)... then again, my health was much better last year. Maybe when it starts warming up...
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I would say 4 miles is city driving.
I drive 5% of the time, ride a motorcycle 75% of the time, and take the local "subway" called BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) the rest of the time.
Does BART run between your house and the highway, or from campus to the highway?

If so, what is your driving time, and how would incorporating the subway into the plan affect your total commute time?

motorcycle/bicycle/subway/car is a pretty sweet variety!

how about using the cbr as a shuttle to and from the car on the home side of the commute?

You should start a gaslog!

Last edited by budomove; 03-16-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread