Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
92-95 VX: Defrost Switch Re-Purposed to become Kill Switch

Hello all, Need some help here.

I want to re-purpose a OEM rear-defrost switch to become a kill switch. Later, I will also add a second kill switch on the shift knob. I want to have BOTH options. The shift knob will have a momentary button, which I will hold down for a length of time. I would also be able to push the OEM defrost button for extended coasts/engine cut-offs.

I'll be relocating the current rear defroster and wiring to the blank spot on the LEFT side of the steering wheel. I don't won't to loose the defrost functionality. But, I want the kill switch to be on the right side, since that's a spot that's easier to get to quickly.

It should also be stated that I am using a second OEM defrost switch with a junkyard pig-tail. I want to run off the OEM wires. Any clue how I can do this? I'll try to get a wiring diagram up here, if I can find one.

I'm not going to lie, some of this is for "show" as well. I'll paint the button green and add a leaf to it. Should be a nice talking point at shows, and another element of "green" on the dash. But I do want it to be functional.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
You'll have to wire the switches in series. The defrost switch will have to be 'on' normally so it doesn't interrupt the signal.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
I don't understand why you need 2 switches. You say you want one for "long" shut downs but once the engine has been stopped your shut down can be as long as you want; the engine doesn't restart when you let off the momentary kill switch. It's a momentary for that reason, once your finger is off the button, the car is READY for restart whenever you are; and will do so by keying the starter or bump starting the engine.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
You'll have to wire the switches in series. The defrost switch will have to be 'on' normally so it doesn't interrupt the signal.
OK, this is concerning, as I believe the defroster switch is on a time of sorts, correct? So, that means after being "on" for a time, it will shut off and randomly cut off power to the injectors, correct? No bueno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
I don't understand why you need 2 switches. You say you want one for "long" shut downs but once the engine has been stopped your shut down can be as long as you want; the engine doesn't restart when you let off the momentary kill switch. It's a momentary for that reason, once your finger is off the button, the car is READY for restart whenever you are; and will do so by keying the starter or bump starting the engine.
I see. I'm still learning on all of this. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll keep waiting for that new shift knob Doax is building

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Reply  Post New Thread