Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
By the end you'll have replaced every part on the car and with no diagnosis. What are your vacuum readings are the valves adjusted properly how about compression.......? Stop guessing and diaganosis the real problem.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
By the end you'll have replaced every part on the car and with no diagnosis. What are your vacuum readings are the valves adjusted properly how about compression.......? Stop guessing and diaganosis the real problem.
Iv been looking over everything piece by piece and diagnosed the huge idle issue to be the tps being wayyy off on closed throttle.it was originally at 1.48 i got a new one and recalibrated it back to .45 and screwed it on tight.definetely fixed the issue. ordered ngk recommended plugs and wires.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
That's good it just seemed as if thking the long way to get there.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
That's good it just seemed as if thking the long way to get there.
i definitely did take the long way there. started with iacv then looked at the pcv piping took of the throttle body and cleaned it all out. still got a lot of preventative stuff taken care of. after i get the radiator installed i think i might have to drop the idle a bit with the idle screw. everything else seems pretty good.

going to look more into the throwout bearing and the axle shaft seal myself since the nearby transmission shop wants 900+ for overhauling the trans. what a bunch of bullllll

also the rear defroster isnt working and the e brake feels like its engaging but the wheels arnt locking
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
My Ebrake on the cx only holds one wheel. Are you sure it's the throwing bearing? If you take out the trans put a clutch in it. The input shaft bearings are notorious for going bad also. I think If I took out my trans I might put one in just cause. I mean I'm already there. good luck on the defost. The element is probably bad. Disconnect both feed wires and check for continuity. The axle seals are cake as are the axles but they have to come out to do a clutch so....
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
My Ebrake on the cx only holds one wheel. Are you sure it's the throwing bearing? If you take out the trans put a clutch in it. The input shaft bearings are notorious for going bad also. I think If I took out my trans I might put one in just cause. I mean I'm already there. good luck on the defost. The element is probably bad. Disconnect both feed wires and check for continuity. The axle seals are cake as are the axles but they have to come out to do a clutch so....
Well i thought the e brake was out turns out my driveway was a lot icier than i thought.well.at neutral theres a slight constant grinding noise.when the clutch is engaged the grinding stops.when in gear most of time time its not grinding.if it does its at lower gears and gets a little louder almost sounds like its stretching.

Iv never done transmission or clutch work before other than draining the trans today and filling it with honda mtf. How much would a new clutch be?

Im still on a tight budget.i have new plugs new wires new radiator new thermostat both pcv valves and the grommet purchased and awaiting arrival
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
DIY: Tranny removal and Input Shaft Bearing change - D-series.org

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty94cx For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #98 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
I like his solution for supporting the engine without a hoist.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dang.def going to replace the axle shaft seal and throw out bearing on my own at least.if its still grinding and making the same noise ill have to get sumones help with disassembling it so i can watch how its done right.this is my dd and only form of transportation. on top of that still got a car loan for it lol
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
at neutral theres a slight constant grinding noise.when the clutch is engaged the grinding stops.when in gear most of time time its not grinding.if it does its at lower gears and gets a little louder almost sounds like its stretching.
From what you are saying there is no way it's the throw out bearing, if it was the throw out bearing then it would only make a bad sound when the clutch pedal is pressed in and it would go away when your foot is off the clutch, what you are describing is a bad input shaft transmission bearing, that bearing going bad will wear your clutch out faster as well, but it will take a while, I put thousands of miles on mine after the bearing went bad, of course I went the route of spending $150 on a low mile, used transmission to fix it as well instead of replacing the $15 bearing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-28-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx, honda