Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Get axle seals and you Shouldn't need a flywheel unless yours is cracked or scored or want a lightweight one. I would get a junkyard trans and put it in and take my time on fixing yours. There was one by me for 200$ on craigslist. Don't know if it's still there. You could also put your final drive in any small bearing trans.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I cant find any vx/cx trans anywhere by me.im thinking about just putting any d series tranny on that would fit. Online i found a few websites that had a 92-95 5spd trans from japan for 225+shipping.

I did a seafoam treatment today and oil change the hesitation came back even after the oil change.i checked the spark plugs and they were a little black on the ends. im thinking i just fouled them up after the treatment even tho i just replaced them not long ago.
Also leaking a little coolant underneath the bleeder bolt assembly area.the coolant leaks right onto engine stamp.

Also the engine doesnt seem tightnd down all the way from the drivers side mount.it has wobble room back and forth.how do i tighten it down?

Last edited by RatherDashing; 01-18-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #143 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
The rubber mount should have some play. Any d series trans will bolt right up. Be patient. The dx lx are the same other than the final drive and those are almost thrown away. Last guy I talked to sold a cx trans for 50$ yes I was sad. There was one in a local junkyard 6 months ago didnt have the time to pull it. They don't keep cars but a couple if months. U pull with warranty it would have been 50-60$ so be patient. Heck my cx the gears are so notchy and oh well. I live with it. Don't have the cash for perfection.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
The rubber mount should have some play. Any d series trans will bolt right up. Be patient. The dx lx are the same other than the final drive and those are almost thrown away. Last guy I talked to sold a cx trans for 50$ yes I was sad. There was one in a local junkyard 6 months ago didnt have the time to pull it. They don't keep cars but a couple if months. U pull with warranty it would have been 50-60$ so be patient. Heck my cx the gears are so notchy and oh well. I live with it. Don't have the cash for perfection.
im not even 100% sure previous owner had a vx/cx trans on it. it might just be a normal transmission.

the transmission im just going to have to wait til i get a descent amount of money for. but now im totally stumped with this seafoam treatment.
had hesitation for the longest time replaced the fuel filter and it pretty much stopped.
did a complete sea foam treatment and the hesitation came back. spark plugs are fine. also did an oil change.

my thinking is that the car must have been sitting for a while and just had a bunch of gunk in the tank. enough to reclog the new fuel filter since the exact same symptoms are back again.

also iv noticed a coolant leak right below the front upper radiator hose that goes to the engine which leaks right onto the stamp. but i cant find anywhere about that part that needs replaced.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
A lot of junk yards will ship to other junk yards, repair shops, auto body shops or pretty much any business address for a pretty low cost, around here a few of the junk yards even have their own delivery vehicles, so look up junk yards that have a transmission that you want and call them up to ask what the cheapest way is for you to get it from them.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
What Rpms are you turning at 65? Should be right about 2100 I think. I'll double check if need be. If so then it's a vx/cx final drive.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #148 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
I cant find any vx/cx trans anywhere by me.im thinking about just putting any d series tranny on that would fit. Online i found a few websites that had a 92-95 5spd trans from japan for 225+shipping.

I did a seafoam treatment today and oil change the hesitation came back even after the oil change.i checked the spark plugs and they were a little black on the ends. im thinking i just fouled them up after the treatment even tho i just replaced them not long ago.
Also leaking a little coolant underneath the bleeder bolt assembly area.the coolant leaks right onto engine stamp.

Also the engine doesnt seem tightnd down all the way from the drivers side mount.it has wobble room back and forth.how do i tighten it down?
An HX trans would bolt on, and as I understand it, the 6th gen DX hatch had the same final drive as an HX. Either of those would give you gearing closer to the VX/CX.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

wow seriously? 65 at 2100rpms? definetely not. last time i took it on the highway to go pick up the vx rims.when i was going maybe a lil over 70 i was hitn 3k(I think) all i know is driving near the speed limit the rpms were pretty high. the way back home i kinda rushed so i could beat the snow that was coming down and i was hitn 3k vtec almost all the way back.

so could a different transmission like this really be affecting the mpg THAT much?

the biggest thing still confusing me is the hesitation coming back after the sea foam treatment. its acting like the fuel filter is clogged. SAME hesitation feeling. but i replaced the fuel filter again with a better one.

my next guess is the map sensor possibly? one of the screws is stripped and i dont have any tools to fix that. might end up taking it to napa machine shop to help with it.

im still on the same tank of gas with the sea foam treatment. hopefully after its gone and i refill up the hesitation will be gone. im going to try a different gas station just to be sure. theres a shell gas station a little out of my way but if it really shows a difference i might try it.

iv also been researching replacement fuel injectors in the long run and cant seem to find the right ones anywhere? some range from about 100$ a piece. some 100-200$ a set.

apologies if im posting a lot about all this. working on civics like this and getting them back to running better has been quite an addiction of mine since i had the 89 crx dx
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
I wouldnt worry about the injectors. I believe that all the injectors are the same. You could pull the rail and watch the spray pattern. I think your chasing ghosts though. Yes I'll double check but I'm sure I'm turning like 2100 at 65. You have just a dx lx trans in there it could even be a ex/si big bearing trans. I also have 175/70 13 tires and steel wheels on there so you know. There was a vx in a junkyard in Cinci not sure if they still had the trans. It was on craigslist. You can see I'm getting 42 with a shot 02 check engine light on no lean burn.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx, honda