EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   96 Civic DX d16y7 mated with a 94 CX transmission -Problems help (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/96-civic-dx-d16y7-mated-94-cx-transmission-23707.html)

Dztech28 10-16-2012 12:31 AM

96 Civic DX d16y7 mated with a 94 CX transmission -Problems help

Hi guys, im new posting to this forum but I've been reading different threads for a while now. I have a 96 Civic DX d16y7 coupe and I just did a 94 CX Transmission swap. The 94 CX transmission is the same as the VX transmission from what i read.

Well I did the swap twice already with two different CX transmissions and I get this grinding noise, whirring sound in 1st 2nd 3rd gear then goes away. I thought the input shaft bearing was bad on the first CX trans so I picked up another cx trans and still the same thing. So I compared the stock DX trans with the first CX trans and the transmission case is somewhat different. On the DX trans the throwout bearing has a bump that rests on when the clutch pedal is not stepped on so that the throwout bearing sits flush the the clutch fingers.

On the CX transmission there is no bump and the throwout bearing sits further back when clutch is not being stepped on. I think the throwout bearing is rattling around and rubbing on the clutch fingers. Plus on the first CX trans the flywheel teeth seemed to have some scrapings around the housing.

Has anyone did this swap and had problems like this? Im frustrated, im about to change the clutch out on this second cx trans in hopes I had a faulty clutch. Time and money is starting to get wasted. Need some help guys!!

Help!!

CaptainRyan 10-16-2012 07:45 AM

Can you post pictures of the two bell housings? No difference in the honda part number for the throw out bearings.

One way to check if the noise is the input shaft bearing is to put the trans in neutral, start the car, and press in the clutch pedal / release the clutch pedal all while listening for any differences. If the input shaft bearing is going bad you will be able to hear it while the clutch pedal is up - it will conversly go away when the clutch pedal is pressed. I had a bad input shaft bearing on a B series and you could easily hear it over the motor while sitting in neutral.

How many miles are on the clutch? check the throw out bearing arm - I've had the spring clip pop off of the post that is supposed to hold it in the bellhousing.

ron 10-16-2012 10:35 AM

on some ot the vw bugs when changing to 12volt you have to take the drummel to the bell housing to clearance the 12volt flywheel . easy and does not effect the strength

Dztech28 10-16-2012 06:45 PM

I'll take some pictures this weekend, yah i figured i dremmel some of the metal of the bell housing but my main concern is the where the throwout bearing rest when the clutch is not pushed, the DX trans has a bump where it the fork and throwout sits. The VX does not, in result there is a play area for the bearing to move around in.

ron 10-16-2012 08:05 PM

check out the part numbers for the throw out bearings to see if they are the same I suspect they are also check the throw out fork that may also be the same if it is , then I suspect the play should,nt be the grinding problem. maybe someone else has a thought on this,a honda guy

California98Civic 10-16-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron (Post 334543)
check out the part numbers for the throw out bearings to see if they are the same I suspect they are also check the throw out fork that may also be the same if it is , then I suspect the play should,nt be the grinding problem. maybe someone else has a thought on this,a honda guy

I'm in the middle of considering almost this exact swap. Got a quote on a good CX tranny yesterday for my 1998 DX, so I am very interested. A quick search reveals this: 94 civic cx transmission on 94 dx, gear noises - Honda-Tech

Good luck! Subscribed.

ron 10-16-2012 08:59 PM

thank you california98civic ,Dztech28-aint gona be happy.I picked up on the flywheel teeth have some scraping, blurp or I would'nt have suggested the drummel.

turbovr41991 10-17-2012 08:41 AM

I bought my 97 CX (also 16y7) with a bad transmission and installed a J5F VX trans to replace it. Trans ISB was bad so I just swapped it for a VX trans I picked up of Craigslist for $150. While I had it appart, I put in a new autozone clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearing). No issues at all after the swap.

I would have guessed it to be an internal issue, but with two transmissons doing the same problem? that normally points to something else. Is it possible you damaged a bearing in the swap?

Hope you figure it out as that transmission is awesome!

hamsterpower 10-17-2012 02:18 PM

Keep in mind that bad input shaft bearings and worn 1-2-3 syncros(your grinding?) are EXTREMELY common in Civics. Don't rule out a repeat problem after two transmissions. I've had 4 different transmissions in my Civic and every one has had these problems to varying degrees.

Dztech28 10-17-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbovr41991 (Post 334646)
I bought my 97 CX (also 16y7) with a bad transmission and installed a J5F VX trans to replace it. Trans ISB was bad so I just swapped it for a VX trans I picked up of Craigslist for $150. While I had it appart, I put in a new autozone clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearing). No issues at all after the swap.

I would have guessed it to be an internal issue, but with two transmissons doing the same problem? that normally points to something else. Is it possible you damaged a bearing in the swap?

Hope you figure it out as that transmission is awesome!

I used an xtr clutch from ebay, the whole kit. i also installed a new flywheel from Oriley autoparts. The gears mesh fine and its really loud like the flywheel teeth are rubbing around the bell housing. Gonna redo everything at the end of this month. New clutch and inspect where things might be rubbing. I still drive the car, just annoying.