Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
99 Honda Accord Engine and Transmission

LOL here is a car with a "clean" title. Looks totalled 3 times over to me. Maybe they wrecked it, dragged it home with no accident report and carfax would show the title as clean.

I'm not defending salvage rebuilt vehicles, but a car could have a branded (salvage) title in VA, if it was a theft recovery without a scratch on it. Over 30 days unrecoverd is salvaged, but they have a high incidence of being seriously abused (stolen cars). In many case I would rather buy a wrecked car than one that was repossesed, many repos are sabotaged by their soon to be ex owners.

Another car could have been damaged, without any accident report (I wonder why ) and repaired badly, but the title would be "clean".

No accident report no carfax.

Just be careful when you look at a car. Don't expect a website to tell you everything, their caveat is "reported". Yours should be a meticulous personal inspection looking for any evidence of a collision, flood damage, abused theft recovery, the list goes on and on.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
many repos are sabotaged by their soon to be ex owners.
I am worried about that with my Forester. I told her that my insurance refused to cover her for much longer, told her to get insurance, followed up multiple times, and all that she told me was that she could not afford the estimates that she had received, which were around what I had been paying for her. The day that she started driving without insurance I installed The Club on the steering wheel and told her that I would give her the key when she showed proof of insurance, signed a new contract specifying that she would maintain insurance, and kept up with her payments.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Try going through that with a home you have $92,000 of your life's savings in.

regards
mech
Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Seems ligit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
LOL here is a car with a "clean" title. Looks totalled 3 times over to me. Maybe they wrecked it, dragged it home with no accident report and carfax would show the title as clean.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #35 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
she told me was that she could not afford the estimates that she had received, which were around what I had been paying for her. The day that she started driving without insurance I installed The Club on the steering wheel and told her that I would give her the key when she showed proof of insurance, signed a new contract specifying that she would maintain insurance, and kept up with her payments.
Who is she?

If She cannot afford insurance, then She cannot afford to drive. Sounds like She needs to be riding a bicycle.

I knew a girl that lived in Phoenix and worked at a bank, and she commuted via bicycle.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I highly doubt that. An 8 year old twice rebuilt car? Don't invest more than 250k with them, because if they are taking loans like that, they won't be around long.
I don't know, they have been here since 1956. They would loan me the value of that car just on a signature loan to buy crack if I wanted, maybe that is just the advantage of working 40+hrs/wk my whole life and paying all my bills on time for the last 28 years. Also maybe it's just the difference a small local credit union in a rural area makes, people are pretty trustworthy still here thank God. The credit union is just a run by a board of those same neighbors, no big profits to make, they are a dream compared to all the big banks.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't know, they have been here since 1956. They would loan me the value of that car just on a signature loan to buy crack if I wanted, maybe that is just the advantage of working 40+hrs/wk my whole life and paying all my bills on time for the last 28 years. Also maybe it's just the difference a small local credit union in a rural area makes, people are pretty trustworthy still here thank God. The credit union is just a run by a board of those same neighbors, no big profits to make, they are a dream compared to all the big banks.
Interesting example on the crack! Lol. Well keep away from Missoula CU, the one you got is much more accommodating.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread