Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd assert just the opposite. The protrusion dies out with the curve of the bottom of the windshield. The creases in the hood are in a pronounced V-shape. It's like a 'bug deflector' that cause the air close to the hood to divert to the sides. Maybe to energize the air around the rear-view mirror?
They need to come together somewhat, the pressure over the slanted hood makes the air flow go sideways anyway,even more than those lines indicate.
If they went straight over the hood they would have a large angle compared to the direction of air flow, that would cause extra friction and turbulence.
Like an aircraft wing, the optimal angle of attack is not the maximal one.
This angle just nudges the air upwards without blocking it too much.

When I first saw cars with protruding A pillars I thought they had misplaced the windscreen. It went completely against my intuition.
As more and more models employ this trick I had to accept here must be a reason for it, and I believe it to be what I've explained in this thread.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-18-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Too many wrong keys on my keyboard...
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'm probably biased because I had a 1958 VW Beetle convertible. The frame stood proud of the flat glass. The wiper couldn't move snow out of it's normal range, let alone clear the whole thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm sure most of you know about the effect dimples have on golf balls.Check this out Morphable surfaces could cut air resistance | MIT News Office
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godscountry For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-26-2014), calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was reading about something similar just the other day:

Elastomeric camouflage switches texture and colour
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-26-2014), calry (09-22-2014), godscountry (09-28-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Mr. Scary - '07 Ford Mustang GT Race Car

The Truck - '12 Ford F-150 Scab EcoBoost FX4

The 5.0 - '12 Ford Mustang GT Vert Brembo Premium

Da Foci - '14 Ford Focus SE
That guy should be fired for those headlights. Now I can't get a new F150.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by calry View Post
To paraphrase Brad Richards, Exterior Design Manager for the new Ford F-150 in this USA Today video on the new aerodynamic Ford F-150, at the 40 second mark, that they angled it much more thinking it was going to get better aerodynamics, but it did not. Instead, they gave it a harder edge which worked better.

This proves once again prove that I know less than I thought I did about aerodynamics. His discovery makes me think that those flat air dams on the front of semi tractors might not be as bad as they look.

In everyone's wanderings around and musings on aerodynamics, are there any good aerodynamics cheat sheets? Yes, I know people get Ph.D.s and spend decades of their lives studying these phenomenon, so I am possibly asking for the impossible. After all, aerodynamics, is a subfield of fluid dynamics which in turn is a subfield of fluid mechanics. That is lots of material to cover. But I have had a lot of college and graduate science and I have found short intense summaries can sometimes be a quicker way to occasional insight.

Yes, I could pick up an aerodynamics text book. Its just, just that....they are so heavy.
Bear in mind,that in the forebody,the boundary layer is in the most favorable pressure gradient,and is essentially held against the body as long as it is 'attacking' the flow field.
And as Ford aerodynamicists essentially said decades ago,"there is no magic radius",just enough softening and you've got full attachment.
This isn't so for the aft-body which is the major source of drag with road vehicles.Back there you've got to be especially careful with your contours or the whole thing goes to the worms.Control of aft-body separation is the premise for aerodynamic streamlining.
calry (10-28-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by calry View Post
To paraphrase Brad Richards, Exterior Design Manager for the new Ford F-150 in this USA Today video on the new aerodynamic Ford F-150, at the 40 second mark, that they angled it much more thinking it was going to get better aerodynamics, but it did not. Instead, they gave it a harder edge which worked better.

This proves once again prove that I know less than I thought I did about aerodynamics. His discovery makes me think that those flat air dams on the front of semi tractors might not be as bad as they look.

In everyone's wanderings around and musings on aerodynamics, are there any good aerodynamics cheat sheets? Yes, I know people get Ph.D.s and spend decades of their lives studying these phenomenon, so I am possibly asking for the impossible. After all, aerodynamics, is a subfield of fluid dynamics which in turn is a subfield of fluid mechanics. That is lots of material to cover. But I have had a lot of college and graduate science and I have found short intense summaries can sometimes be a quicker way to occasional insight.

Yes, I could pick up an aerodynamics text book. Its just, just that....they are so heavy.
Once upon a time the car body was designed first (for aesthetic reasons) and then they began thinking how they could fit the passengers, engine, suspension, etc. inside it.

Now they (a lame committee) decide the layout and then think on how they can fit a not-so-ugly somewhat aerodynamic body over it. Yes most modern cars are ugly and boring IMO.

They should do it backwards again. First design an eye-catching aero body and let Marquis de Sade design the ergonomics!
The Following User Says Thank You to Big time For This Useful Post:
calry (10-28-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Once upon a time the car body was designed first (for aesthetic reasons) and then they began thinking how they could fit the passengers, engine, suspension, etc. inside it.
When? Certainly not before Harley Earle. The stylist was always handed a set of parameters. Cowl height, for instance is set early on.

Quote:
Now they (a lame committee) decide the layout and then think on how they can fit a not-so-ugly somewhat aerodynamic body over it. Yes most modern cars are ugly and boring IMO.

Some committees as less lame than others.

This committee took an extremely aerodynamic body and stuffed a Ducati V-twin in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2014), calry (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Bear in mind,that in the forebody,the boundary layer is in the most favorable pressure gradient,and is essentially held against the body as long as it is 'attacking' the flow field.
And as Ford aerodynamicists essentially said decades ago,"there is no magic radius",just enough softening and you've got full attachment.
This isn't so for the aft-body which is the major source of drag with road vehicles.Back there you've got to be especially careful with your contours or the whole thing goes to the worms.Control of aft-body separation is the premise for aerodynamic streamlining.

Aerohead, your answer combined with your aero lessons have already improved my understanding significantly. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to calry For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, air dam, mirror, pick-up, spoilers