Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aerodynamics Intuition Proven Wrong Again

To paraphrase Brad Richards, Exterior Design Manager for the new Ford F-150 in this USA Today video on the new aerodynamic Ford F-150, at the 40 second mark, that they angled it much more thinking it was going to get better aerodynamics, but it did not. Instead, they gave it a harder edge which worked better.

This proves once again prove that I know less than I thought I did about aerodynamics. His discovery makes me think that those flat air dams on the front of semi tractors might not be as bad as they look.

In everyone's wanderings around and musings on aerodynamics, are there any good aerodynamics cheat sheets? Yes, I know people get Ph.D.s and spend decades of their lives studying these phenomenon, so I am possibly asking for the impossible. After all, aerodynamics, is a subfield of fluid dynamics which in turn is a subfield of fluid mechanics. That is lots of material to cover. But I have had a lot of college and graduate science and I have found short intense summaries can sometimes be a quicker way to occasional insight.

Yes, I could pick up an aerodynamics text book. Its just, just that....they are so heavy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calry For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2014), brucepick (09-17-2014), Cd (09-17-2014), Xusn96 (09-17-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
My brother told me this about the F150 a few weeks ago, I ment to look up what he was talking about so thanks for the link.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I wondered at the scooplike ridges at the side of the bumpers of many modern cars. As if they were designed to create drag.
I believe they do, and that it is a good thing.
Because if the sides were smooth the air would flow swiftly over it at an angle.
It would not be able to make a smooth transition to the side and become turbulent.

Now those scoops and ridges effectively slow the air down (relative to the car!), so they create a high(er) pressure. This affects the general air flow to move over rather than along the sides of the car.
Apparently, that works out better. The line over the roof approaches the template on many cars. The sides are more or less straight and have ridges, wheels, mirrors, etc.

Another example can be seen in the prototype of the new Honda Fit.

Notice the A pillars. They protrude ahead of the windscreen, and their base continues over the hood. Why? To force air over rather than along the car.
It has the bumper scoops on the sides too, as almost all new cars do.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-18-2014 at 03:50 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
" In everyone's wanderings around and musings on aerodynamics, are there any good aerodynamics cheat sheets?"

Just look up the posts here on this site by Aerohead ( " Aerohead aerodynamic seminars " )
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ists-7118.html

As far as the shape of the front of the truck. I took it to mean that the blunt shape was as efficient as the sloped front end - not better than.

As far as the 'scoops' on the sides of the bumpers on cars, some do indeed act as 'air curtains'. In fact, it was even mentioned in the video of the truck about the 'air curtain' effect on the truck (at 2:10 in the video ). What i found interesting though is that they seem to be using the gap in between the bumper and the front end to channel the air around the wheels, versus sealing this gap.

Here is another link I just found :http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...015-ford-f150/

Last edited by Cd; 09-18-2014 at 12:19 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2014), calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

BTW : If you lay a line along the sides of that image of the top of the truck, you will see that there is quite a bit of taper to the rear of the truck. I'm more interested in what is happening back there versus the front of the truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
" In everyone's wanderings around and musings on aerodynamics, are there any good aerodynamics cheat sheets?"

Just look up the posts here on this site by Aerohead ( " Aerohead aerodynamic seminars " )
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ists-7118.html

As far as the shape of the front of the truck. I took it to mean that the blunt shape was as efficient as the sloped front end - not better than.

As far as the 'scoops' on the sides of the bumpers on cars, some do indeed act as 'air curtains'. In fact, it was even mentioned in the video of the truck about the 'air curtain' effect on the truck (at 2:10 in the video ). What i found interesting though is that they seem to be using the gap in between the bumper and the front end to channel the air around the wheels, versus sealing this gap.

Here is another link I just found :The Aerodynamics of the 2015 Ford F-150 | Ford Trucks

In the written article it says he said better then not as good as.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
In the written article it says he said better then not as good as.
You're right.
I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.

So what is the cD of the truck ?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
True, just like Mercedes does on the CLA.

Both the Merc and the F150 have a relatively straight front bumper, so I think this is mainly done to shape the overall flow pattern, it may be less effective when the bumper sides are slanted. Not saying uneffective!

The Merc and the F150 have bigger air dams than other cars, another thing that makes the passage through the bumper more effective.
Without an airdam the air trapped under the car will squeeze out through the front wheel wells.
That's why there is so much more brake dust on your front alloys than on the back ones: the air gets forced out of the front wheels and sucked in through the rear ones.
The fronts are not twice as dirty as you'd expect from a front biased brake balance, but ten times so.
The airdam blocks that flow, making the bumper vents more effective. I bet the help cool the brakes too.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I wish they would just say the cd as well. I think why the more squared "shoulders might help is they steer the air off that outside frontal area off the side and under the mirror rather then over the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil
Another example can be seen in the prototype of the new Honda Fit.

Notice the A pillars. They protrude ahead of the windscreen, and their base continues over the hood. Why? To force air over rather than along the car.
I'd assert just the opposite. The protrusion dies out with the curve of the bottom of the windshield. The creases in the hood are in a pronounced V-shape. It's like a 'bug deflector' that cause the air close to the hood to divert to the sides. Maybe to energize the air around the rear-view mirror?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
calry (09-22-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, air dam, mirror, pick-up, spoilers