Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question Aerodynamics testing in OpenFoam

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a car concept (side hobby project). With this specific concept I was hoping to explore the use of a large boat tail for improved aerodynamics. However with the boat tail I am exploring a number of alternate design variations that I have no idea on the aerodynamic properties. (one less odd variation attached)

To test my design I was hoping to use OpenFoam. I have the .stl files ready, it is just a matter of placing it in the OpenFoam simulation of a windtunnel for results (preferably a diagram of the airflow and pressure that I can view in Blender).

Would anyone have any suggestions on what documentation i can follow (or what preset that I can download)?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	6242  

Last edited by CarDes; 06-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Poor grammar
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarDes View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a car concept (side hobby project). With this specific concept I was hoping to explore the use of a large boat tail for improved aerodynamics. However with the boat tail I am exploring a number of alternate design variations that I have no idea on the aerodynamic properties. (one less odd variation attached)

To test my design I was hoping to use OpenFoam. I have the .stl files ready, it is just a matter of placing it in the OpenFoam simulation of a windtunnel for results (preferably a diagram of the airflow and pressure that I can view in Blender).

Would anyone have any suggestions on what documentation i can follow (or what preset that I can download)?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel,I will have to defer to the others which have experience with CFD,as I have never done it,probably won't.
I think that some if not all that are in use,deal only with 2-dimensional inviscid flow about the centerline of the structure and cannot accurately predict the 3-D wake.
Your rendering ( very nice ! ) looks almost like a trike.If it is a three-wheeler,the CFD programs may not work.( about now I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable is tracking this and will correct if necessary ).
Looking at your image,I would suspect that the entire darkly-shaded area behind the lowest character line will be in separation.It might re-attach,can't figure it without a top view.

Diverging flow is the most sensitive to instability and with the short-tail outrigger front fenders I don't believe the flow will be clean enough behind them to allow attached flow beyond that arcing body crease.
Boat-tails won't work if the onset flow coming at them isn't perfect.One really has to on their toes with respect to them.You just can't cheat.
I'll shut up and make room for the whiz kids.
She looks like a fun project,best to you!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Daniel,I will have to defer to the others which have experience with CFD,as I have never done it,probably won't.
I think that some if not all that are in use,deal only with 2-dimensional inviscid flow about the centerline of the structure and cannot accurately predict the 3-D wake.
Your rendering ( very nice ! ) looks almost like a trike.If it is a three-wheeler,the CFD programs may not work.( about now I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable is tracking this and will correct if necessary ).
Looking at your image,I would suspect that the entire darkly-shaded area behind the lowest character line will be in separation.It might re-attach,can't figure it without a top view.

Diverging flow is the most sensitive to instability and with the short-tail outrigger front fenders I don't believe the flow will be clean enough behind them to allow attached flow beyond that arcing body crease.
Boat-tails won't work if the onset flow coming at them isn't perfect.One really has to on their toes with respect to them.You just can't cheat.
I'll shut up and make room for the whiz kids.
She looks like a fun project,best to you!
Thanks for your thourough reply Aerohead.

I've been jumping into aerodynamics with a brief understanding of the effect of boat tails without really knowing the basics. It is always good to get good advice to help me produce a solid concept.

Will post final design here when done.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'm giving OpenFOAM an initial look myself, but this appears 3D:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
I'm giving OpenFOAM an initial look myself, but this appears 3D:

Last edited by aerohead; 07-10-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: computer ate my original respons,attempt#2
Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

F--- I- I give up

Twice I've tried to respond to this thread.Nothing gets through.I'm done with it.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
boat tail, openfoam