EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Ahoy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ahoy-24738.html)

greenteagod 01-25-2013 04:16 PM

Ahoy

I've been scrounging around on the forums for the past few weeks in anticipation of my return to the civic hatchback. I had an old 89 that I let go about 8 years ago and have the opportunity to get a 90 that seems to be in fairly good shape.

So hopefully that works out and I'll be looking around on here some more for tips and tricks and potential mods. I'd love to get a solid 45mpg out of the thing on my little 6 mile commutes to and from work.

Right now I'm driving a volvo wagon and while it's big and fast the repairs on it are costing me an arm and a leg, so with luck this civic will be a reliable daily while I work on the wagon in my spare time.

Mustang Dave 01-25-2013 09:28 PM

Good luck with it.

MetroMPG 01-25-2013 10:02 PM

Hope the deal works out for you. Hope you're shopping for a manual transmission!

greenteagod 01-26-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 353036)
Hope the deal works out for you. Hope you're shopping for a manual transmission!

I'd have to delete myself from humanity if I were doing anything but, considering the purposes I'm aiming for.

Economy aside, the two automatics I've ever had in my life were the only cars that I ever had transmission problems with. Three if you count the one the girlfriend has.

brucepick 01-26-2013 03:29 PM

Welcome to Ecomodder!
I wish you good luck on your quest!

We drove nothing but Volvo 240's for about 13 years (rear drive cars, fuel injected, for those not familiar with Volvos). We switched to Hondas for fuel economy and maintenance reasons.

While the 240's were fine for DIY maintenance, several friends who now own the newer front drive 850's and 70- series Volvos aren't so happy with their maintenance needs.

greenteagod 01-26-2013 03:44 PM

Nice, my daily right now is a 2001 V70 but I also have a 73 145, which surprisingly had electronic fuel injection. The Bosch D-Jet technology, before they went to the mechanical k-Jet.

I love how over engineered that wagon is. 4 piston front calipers and two piston rears. With each set of pistons in the front controlled by separate circuits in event of failure on one. Try finding that on anything but high end sports cars these days.

It's been in a state of "Restoration" or as the girlfriend calls it "Taking up space in the garage" for about the last 8 years. Camshaft gear sheared off and thrashed the distributor as well, so I decided to tear the whole engine down and well never got back around to putting it back together. But one of these days, and I even have a megasquirt for it so I'll get to program the fuel injection completely. But that's another story for another time.