Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

alternate power source

My latest idea includes the $100 horizontal shaft 212cc predator engine I purchased at harbor freight. More about the engine, governed at 3600 rpm, OHV configuration.

I acquired some bed rails today, looks like a sturdy option for a frame to hold the engine, a motorcycle wheel and a shock/strut/dampner.

The idea is to gear the setup so that 70 mph cruising is done with the .2 liter engine propelling the car and the 1.8 taking a nap (until I encounter a hill I suppose.)

One thing I haven't worked out yet is vacuum for power brakes. I considered an electric vac pump as it wouldn't take much to add an alternator to a jackshaft. I am a fan of simplicity, so I mostly dismiss this idea.

This is a snowplow mount, apparently

Seems to me like a simple way to detach the unit for whatever reason. I would like to work out something for a top mount that would allow me to lift the unit from the ground, remotely would be nice.

I guess I could work out an air bag suspension, but that would again take from simplicity, especially since I have a mostly complete crx parts car with four "struts" to choose from.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I think the idea stemmed from some of the trailer ideas I've seen on this site, I was thinking this would also be a great place to work on a boat tail for the car, adding more aero and easing the load on the small engine.

With the extra crx, I've been looking at ideas like using the whole hatch from the other car as a main boat tail construction.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
So, this idea would be for a CRX? 6.5HP isn't much at all, so vehicle size is highly important. Even in a CRX I'd highly doubt you can sustain 70 mph with only 6.5 hp. I'd highly suggest plugging your numbers into our calculator here to get an idea of what you can do with 6.5hp:

Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com

I'll also suggest making a garage entry so we know what vehicles you have in the future. As someone try helping others out its really helpful to know.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The idea was for a second generation crx, but on a short trip the timing belt died urgh.

We'll see if I can fix it before I dig in any further.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
You're much better off investing in an HF tranny. The CRX's engine is likely much more efficient.

Reply  Post New Thread