Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just got insight, what to pull off junkyard insight for spare parts?

There's an insight at a local junk yard and I think I'll go check it out since they don't show up often. It may already be picked clean, but it's worth a look. What do you guys recommend grabbing off the insight at the yard. Anything from bumper to bumper. computers, engine related, battery related, connectors, relays, modules, anything you can think of that would be good to look for.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Everything!
I'm hoping one shows up in a junkyard near me.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
How complete is it? Buy the whole thing for dirt cheap as a parts car

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm not sure how complete it is. They won't tell you because they would need to walk out and check. They want you to go there and pay the small admission fee to look for yourself.

Anything in particular that I should grab????? For all I know, it could be completely picked through already. I may run up there tomorrow morning and check it out.

I'm not buying the whole thing. haha. I don't like stuff sitting around the property. It already kills me to have the vx sit outside since buying the insight. I don't have enough garage space for both.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Congratulations on the new car, sounds like a good deal.

To the others looking I saw a $750 clean looking Insight in Gerogia on Autotrader. Supposedly just a bad battery.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks! I can hopefully get behind the wheel a bit more once the insurance company gets back to me.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Subscribed, going to think on what might be useful and get back to this thread.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I ran in to the yard on the 23rd and they had a sign saying they were closed

Their website said they were open. A bit of a waste of time. I'll likely head back up there tomorrow. I'm too tired today and need to get to the DMV to get the title transfer and whatnot going.

I'm thinking of the following if they are there:
Door actuators
window switches
maybe EGR related stuff that needs cleaned from time to time so I can just have a clean set of things to swap out always ready
O2 sensors
Gauge Cluster
Transmission so I can open it up and modify it. Then I can simply swap them out when I need to.
Spare Tire and Jack (not sure mine are in the car, so will check)
Wheels, if they are there (doubtful)

Not sure what they would sell the battery pack for, but may not hurt to have extra individual cells so I could make a "refurbed" pack when mine goes.

I'm not really familiar with the electronic hybrid system, so let me know what would be good to grab there.

What is it that gets ruined from water running in/down the b pillar regarding the hatch actuator? Is it just the connector that gets corroded or is there more to it than that that gets messed up. Is the hatch suppose to unlock with the auto unlock button or keyfab? I haven't tried it yet.

Please add on to the list, if you think of things. I will be doing the same. It will help me when I go.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7 View Post
I ran in to the yard on the 23rd and they had a sign saying they were closed

Their website said they were open. A bit of a waste of time. I'll likely head back up there tomorrow. I'm too tired today and need to get to the DMV to get the title transfer and whatnot going.

I'm thinking of the following if they are there:
Door actuators
window switches
maybe EGR related stuff that needs cleaned from time to time so I can just have a clean set of things to swap out always ready
O2 sensors
Gauge Cluster
Transmission so I can open it up and modify it. Then I can simply swap them out when I need to.
Spare Tire and Jack (not sure mine are in the car, so will check)
Wheels, if they are there (doubtful)

Not sure what they would sell the battery pack for, but may not hurt to have extra individual cells so I could make a "refurbed" pack when mine goes.

I'm not really familiar with the electronic hybrid system, so let me know what would be good to grab there.

What is it that gets ruined from water running in/down the b pillar regarding the hatch actuator? Is it just the connector that gets corroded or is there more to it than that that gets messed up. Is the hatch suppose to unlock with the auto unlock button or keyfab? I haven't tried it yet.

Please add on to the list, if you think of things. I will be doing the same. It will help me when I go.

Good list.

Note that the O2 sensors are different on just about every year of the car and are not interchangeable.

Hybrid system is bulletproof other than the battery cells.

B pillar connector (passenger side) gets corroded, but just needs to be cleaned, maybe some dielectric grease and/or the leak to be sealed up at the roof. It's only a tiny drip of water but it's enough to eventually make the hatch power locks quit working. Hatch should unlock with the key fob. Nothing to replace there.

Catalytic converter might not be bad to have if it isn't overly expensive, though you can shut CEL off with an O2 spacer.

Driver door handle tends to have its chrome chip off, however the late 90's Accord shares a handle and they're like $5 on Amazon.

Clean floor mats are at a premium for these cars, everyone wants them. If they're not beat up you could possible get good money on eBay.

There are lots of little plastic pieces that cover things like the screw heads in the behind-the-seats net, screw heads in the door handles, bump stops for the glove box, and plastic pop rivets for interior trim pieces. Many of these mysteriously disappear over the years.

Any underbody panels which might be missing?

Headlights if they aren't cloudy can be worth a pretty penny.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The car was mostly in tact. It was in a front end collision and even that collision wasn't that bad. The battery system in the back was completely gone. I grabbed the following:

Could not open the hatch/trunk

-Driver/Passenger Door Seals (near perfect condition, no tears)
-Climate Control Module
-Mirror adjustment buttons/module
-FCD Button/Module
-Driver Side Automatic Window buttons
-Gauge Cluster
-Driver and Passenger Door Actuators (those are awful to get out because of the way the rod it connected to the door handle)
-Driver and Passenger manual unlock "flippers"
-3 Injectors
-EGR Plate
-Two OEM wheels with the hub caps and good tires on them
-One other hub cap I found laying around (other two wheels were MIA)
-LOTS of extra bolts, I like to keep a stash of them at home for projects. I'm always using them for random things and I like the bolts that come on cars because they are always coated and of good quality.

I ran out of time at the yard and it is a bit cold and everything covered in snow. I did not see the O2 sensors there and they pull the cats and recycle them for the $$. I would have like to have been able to search around for the O2s a little since it was supposedly a 2000 (had AC though, didnt' think 00s came with AC). I would have also liked to have grabbed the transmission, but I DEFINITELY didn't have time for that.

Pulling the tranny looks like a bit of a PIA actually. On my VX I can have that thing unbolted from the engine in no time flat. There is hardly anything in the way.

I would have liked to have spent a couple more hours at the car, but it is winter and they close at 430 because of a lack of sunlight.

The interior paneling was fairly well tossed, so getting little clips and things wasn't really worth the time searching.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 12-28-2018 at 02:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to live4soccer7 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-28-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread