Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
Excessive road noise and locked up brakes

Hi guys. I just recently got 92 Vx and drove it back on the highway with 27psi.
Sumitomo htr 200 tires. Road noise was so excessive that it was louder then cranked up radio. Any suggestions on how to eliminate or reduce substantially road noise. In my case it's too excessive. I"m not exasperating. What would be good quite tires that also achieve great MPG. I'm assuming both don't fit well together. Also driving threw mountains up and down, when it snowed, rained some and was windy got 44mpg on highway. Kinda sucks. I had engine between 1600-1800 rmps with 60-65mpg speeds in 5th geat. Was hoping over 50mpg. Has new 0xygen sensor.

Also hand brake locked up brakes and now they stick to rotor. How do i free it up.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

Increase tyre pressure, but it may be too late.
By the looks of it, their profile is prone to sawtooth building, which causes road noise that might easily be mistaken for a shot bearing.

(Looking at a tyre from the front, if there's lots of small, well spaced, unconnected rubber blocks with upward pointing triangles /\ , it's prone to sawtooth building. The points of these rubber blocks are the last piece of that block to shear off the ground as the tyre rolls, and the points will wear off faster than the leading edge of the next rubber block.
If it's gone bad, you can simply feel it.)

As for the tyres , do you want all-seasons, or switch between winter and summer tyres ?
And what size of tyres do you want ?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Thank you for you help. I'm hoping it's tires cause that's a easy fix with new set, but i was more worried about it being either something mechanical like bad axel or perhaps no insulation on VX which is why is so noisy but the noise i'm referring to is louder then cranked up stereo. I can't imagine it being that loud just cause of no insulation. I mean it's really really loud.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
It could be a bad wheel bearing. I have heard wheel bearings loud enough to sound like an airplane engine or a diesel truck screaming. They can be loud.
I would really suggest you check out your wheel bearings. If it is that loud, you might be looking as a wheel failure. I changed a wheel bearing for a friend a few years ago that fell apart as I took it off.

Get those things looked at. Then worry about the tires. The tires shouldn't be that loud no matter what.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Thank you guys. It was a wheel bearing. It is now fixed and everything seems normal now. Thank you again.

Reply  Post New Thread