Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
When you enter Maryland on 16th Street, there is actually a sign that says "Welcome to Maryland. Please drive gently."

Welcome to Kitty City - Please drive carefully

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
^ Quite possibly the most bizarre clip ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
chumly (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
I think text to speech and speech to text holds some promise. I just got a new smartphone and the speech recognition is pretty good. None of my cars are smart enough to have bluetooth in them but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the phone read a message over the stereo. I don't think you'll stop people from wanting to communicate while they drive so maybe improving the safety while they do is a better strategy.

-Michael

Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
I dunno... I was taught that the driver of a vehicle has to first and foremost pay attention to the road. Any other consideration is secondary to the road, and this would include looking at/operating one's toys and gadgets. There's a disturbing lack of driver's education here in the US, as compared to other countries.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
How do you convince a driver to drive, navigate then communicate? It's highly ingrained in a pilot and even those can get distracted when stuff starts going wrong. We have a different attitude about car safety and training. They keep making the system more idiot proof and evolution keeps making better idiots.

Mandatory re-testing and proper education could probably go a long way but let's face it, in North America a driving permit is generally regarded as a right and the bar is set low enough they might as well put them on crackerjack boxes.

While graduated licensing has brought some improvement, there is little thought to re-educating or maintaining those who already have a permit. As long as I paid the yearly fee I could go without driving for 30 years and still be legal to drive.

-Michael

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
How do you convince a driver to drive, navigate then communicate?
I think eventually Darwin will handle it. There was a case on the main road near me just a couple of weeks ago. This is 4 lanes + center turn lane & wide shoulders, used to be a major route before a new freeway section opened, and now has hardly any traffic. Teen girl driving southbound somehow managed to cross the center (with rumble strips), both northbound lanes, and smash into a tree on the other side.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Somebody definitely has an artistic sense of humor.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the physical fiddling is only part of it

I was stopped at a red light 20 years ago, still legal to talk on cell phones but I was aware of the dangers of driving and handling phones, cause I am smarter then your average bear. My in car hands free phone rings, I press talk button while stopped, I speak , voice comes back through speakers. Conversations continues as if talking to passenger, I put van in gear casually drive off through red light.
The Following User Says Thank You to flying kurmaster For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (03-31-2016)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think eventually Darwin will handle it. There was a case on the main road near me just a couple of weeks ago. This is 4 lanes + center turn lane & wide shoulders, used to be a major route before a new freeway section opened, and now has hardly any traffic. Teen girl driving southbound somehow managed to cross the center (with rumble strips), both northbound lanes, and smash into a tree on the other side.
Poor tree!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think eventually Darwin will handle it.

While I agree, the problem with that is all the damage and death caused to other people along the way. If all the idiots just crashed into light poles when they were alone in their cars, then problem solved. But this happened yesterday. A mile and a half away from the auction, at an intersection I go through 10-20 times a week. Of the 6 cars involved, 4 were just people sitting at a red light. The brand new Aston Martin and Mercedes AMG? "Speed was a factor". Ya, you don't say.

Richmond Review - One killed, two seriously injured in high-speed five-car crash in Richmond

They haven't posted the details yet, but I can tell you right now that the Aston and the Mercedes are going to be kids coming back from school (3:30 pm), with less than a year of driving experience. Probably using their phones to video the race. Look at that Escape, or what I think is a Pacifica. If that had been me in my Insight or Civic, I'd be dead. No if's ands or buts. And I went passed this about 20 mins after it happened, so there is no reason other than luck that it wasn't me. I hate the idea of having to drive a big vehicle to be safe (safer anyway), but this is the reality where I am. It's also the reason that I'm the guy that'll yell "Hey F#%$stick, get off your phone and drive!" at intersections.

Last edited by War_Wagon; 05-09-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread