Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Today I just picked up the LG Optimus Exceed 2 from Bestbuy for $15. Sometimes it goes on sale for $10. Regular price is $20. It should make for an excellent Torque display that I can leave in the car. The display is 4.5", which is bigger than the iPhone 5.
Why couldn't you have told us when it was ten dollars?! That would have been one third less!

I honestly think that I will purchase that. I am supposed to finally have a career, but I only have eight clients, and I am going to see if I can try to obtain the paperwork directly, because I request it as soon as I can from my boss, and it often comes too late for me to make my appointment for the week, but three more clients, and I will make as much as I did at the bakery, working many more hours--if none of my clients cancel.

I do in-home speech therapy.

I have been out of school (for now) for seventeen months and I have pretty much continued to be in starving student mode the entire time.

However, fifteen dollars... I used to run a dash cam with MPG information, and it was handy for CEL codes, etc. I was using my dad's old phone, but someone stole it. The thing is, my ringer stopped working, and my contract is not up until April. I can purchase a phone like mine for a hundred dollars new off of Amazon, but that is more than I am comfortable spending at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
That is a pretty large unit - that would stick down into my toe space, I think.

My port is all of the way on the side, so I bump it on rare occasions, but I do not mind.

I actually ran the car so that you could see the LEDs, but they hardly show up, and that took a very boring time, with my slow phone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151027_004851--resized.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	18972  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
If you need a new smart phone, I'd recommend the LG Volt when it goes on sale for $20-$40. Nothing about it is the best, but it's good enough at everything except higher end gaming.

Ringplus has recently had promotions for 1000 talk, 1000 text, and 1000 MB data for free. The drawbacks are that it utilizes the Sprint network, and you hear advertisements instead of a phone ring when you dial.

What I'm saying is that for as little as $20 total, you could have a smart phone with talk/text/data.

I just bought a 7" tablet for $60 that can be activated on RingPlus, so that will become my Torque display and also provide the internet connection for Pandora and Google maps while I drive. There just isn't such a thing as too much data on a screen!

One tiny drawback to using a smart phone as a Torque display in landscape orientation is that the screen is polarized, and with my polarized sunglasses, I cannot see the display. I'm hoping tablets aren't polarized, but it's no big deal if they are.

I should be in starving student mode since my wife is in a $3,000/month medical program, but it's easy to say "what the heck" to a $60 purchase when you're already getting hit by massive school bills. On top of that, my wife is renting an apartment closer to school, and I just had my pay cut $5/hr when I went from contractor to employee.

You may soon find me in PDX moonlighting as an Uber driver; likely in the TSX. The Prius is disqualified due to having a reconstructed title.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-28-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Good luck with Uber. I had a friend do that, asking "Are you sure that you do not have a third, newer car?" A girl that I was seeing started driving Lyft, which I understood, she had hospital bills, but when she said that she had a date, I was less understanding.

I think she is bipolar.

Lyft and Uber are interesting opportunities if you can do it, though.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

Redpoint, how is that phone working out for you? I just picked up mine and it took a while to find instructions on bypassing the activation screen.

Volume up, volume down, back, and home.

However, I told it to install apps hours ago, and it says that they are still installing. I am happy just to have a music player, the external speaker does not work on my phone.

I eventually rebooted, it said the installations failed, I reinstalled them, and they seem to work.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

I had some pretty bad experience with the Chinese adapters....Not just me but friends also.

Some say they don't see problems other have significant problems.

In my case I had vehicles it did not work with and also battery drain issues.
Bottom line is I tried to go cheap, I bought Chinese knock offs of knock offs and I knew better.
I wasted money on a couple of adapters and one battery, and in the end it was a very expensive waste of my time and money. Probably the time was the worst part.

I ended up buying an UltraGauge back around 2010....the wired one and its been great.
Now that they have the wireless UltraGauge Blue, it looks like the answer to my previous issues and a nice upgrade path for me.
I was searching on this and I'm finding nothing but good....especially on the support side.
Imagine getting support from the those Chinese adapter vendors... just is no such thing.

Reply  Post New Thread