Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soubi7string View Post
is a 92 oldsmobile cutlass ciera s safe to coast in N then shift back into drive?
First check and see whether or not it's OK to tow your car in neutral. If it is OK then you can coast in neutral with the engine running, but with the following important considerations: There is no problem with the coasting in neutral per se; the potential problem comes when putting it back into drive. You can only put it back into drive when you are completely stopped or almost completely stopped (under 10 MPH). That way when you do put it back into drive it will go into first gear. If you do it while the car is moving at higher speeds you will damage the transmission. I learned this the hard way, and it was an expensive lesson.

Practical application of this would be in coasting in neutral to a known stop sign where you know you will have to stop. It is not recommended that you try it while approaching a red light, because if the light turns green and your speed is over 10 MPH you cannot (or should not) put the transmission back into drive unless you are almost stopped.

Remember, rebuilding an automatic transmission is one of the most costly repairs that any vehicle might experience. Ruining your transmission is not worth the few dollars in fuel that you might save.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
First check and see whether or not it's OK to tow your car in neutral. If it is OK then you can coast in neutral with the engine running, but with the following important considerations: There is no problem with the coasting in neutral per se; the potential problem comes when putting it back into drive. You can only put it back into drive when you are completely stopped or almost completely stopped (under 10 MPH). That way when you do put it back into drive it will go into first gear. If you do it while the car is moving at higher speeds you will damage the transmission. I learned this the hard way, and it was an expensive lesson.

Practical application of this would be in coasting in neutral to a known stop sign where you know you will have to stop. It is not recommended that you try it while approaching a red light, because if the light turns green and your speed is over 10 MPH you cannot (or should not) put the transmission back into drive unless you are almost stopped.

Remember, rebuilding an automatic transmission is one of the most costly repairs that any vehicle might experience. Ruining your transmission is not worth the few dollars in fuel that you might save.
yeah um, forget that mess
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I used to neutral coast in a '94 Grand Prix SE... had no problems with putting the transmission into gear at higher speeds... I don't think I've ever heard of a transmission that couldn't be put into gear while coasting, actually.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
In my Jeep, if I neutral coast, it goes back into 3rd, not 4th at first, so I just have to give the gas a good tap to rev-match it first. I rarely neutral coast though, as it would help most around town, but at 30 or so, the Jeep actually coasts better in gear (engine pretty much idling).

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Reply  Post New Thread