Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
I came here first, then I drifted into Metroland for about 8 years. I am Metro free now as is my whole family, we had several in the family for years. I am here and on a small close Saturn forum. Both are very informative and friendly. You might find some info on a Civic forum but I would bet they are all about performance not economy.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Outliers. Yeah. You know, silly and ineffective. But is modding for performance really something that only a few crazies do? Is getting to 60 or making it 1/4 mile really the only measure of performance? Is downforce the only "real" reason to change aero? Is pulling more gees the only measure of tire performance? The only reason that there's no market for economy performance parts is that the driver has to be involved in getting the performance, and that's hard to sell: a window sticker that gets you 10 hp will sell, but one that claims to get you 10 mpg gets laughed at.

When I came here I was tearing it up in a Subaru with a turbo. I tried to not waste gas, as such, but didn't know how to do it right. It was a 19 mpg car that I generally got 22 mpg in and my first tank after coming here was over 28 mpg. With even just light hypermiling that no one else in the car noticed I made family vacations across the state and back without having to fill up. Piddling gains, you know?

When I replaced the Subaru I bought with mpg in mind. Sure, the car I bought is "only" a 29 mpg car, but I'd seen what other users here had gotten with theirs. If I got EPA in the Fit, a Monday morning fill up would be followed by a Thursday morning fill up. With what I average in it, if I have a light weekend then a Monday morning fill up can make it all the way to the next Monday evening. There's a lot of value in that even at today's gas prices. Back when I bought the Fit, prices were a little higher: in the first 6 months my gas and loan payments were a couple hundred bucks more than gas alone would have been (for the same miles driven) in the POS SUV I'd been driving in between cars. Tons of value there.

If that's being an outlier, I'll take it without embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
mcrews (08-30-2016), NeilBlanchard (08-30-2016), seifrob (09-19-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
...family members are calling me crazy for believing in this one "outlier" community of people. So, curious question: are there any other sites, blogs, online communities, etc... that teach ecomodding(aero mods?)?
Have you considered that if it weren't for Ecomodder, they'd be haranguing you about something else? Perhaps you're being trolled. Family know where it hurts.

Push back on the 'outlier' taunt. Get their idea of a non-outlier forum. If it's a vertical silo like Twitter or Facebook that is being monetized off your content, then they are wrong.

Other forums may touch on efficiency, but tend to be brand specific. That makes who the outlier, again? Show them PDFs from Cambridge, Warwick or Georgia Tech.

Oh, and wrap that block of foam with vinyl already.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
[I]Every[I] automotive forum is an outlier. Before I came here, I frequented the VCA (now VOA) forums, back when I had a Viper. There are currently 4,197 members on that forum--not all of them Viper owners, of course--compared to 31,850 Vipers sold through Feb. 2016. I suspect the ratio is even worse for cars like the Corolla and Civic, where there are millions of examples on the road and only a few thousand forum members who are enthusiastic enough about their cars to discuss them online. You can remind your family members that our ecomodding is based on the immutable and unchanging laws of fluid dynamics, and point out that just because they aren't "outliers" doesn't mean they aren't stupid.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
More people doing something doesn't mean it's correct. I'm sure you could find sites for days about essential oils that'll cure cancer and how multi-level marketing will make you rich. Doesn't make it true.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Show them these:
ECO-DRIVING Europe

ecoDriver - Supporting the driver in conserving energy and reducing emissions

ECOdrive, intelligent driving style stimulator, speed and limiter

Although I am quite sceptical to any government financized campaign, these pages are colourful, with photos of happy people and full of eurospeak. They should love it.

The EU had an initiative called ecodrive.org, but the site is dead now.

Edit: I also found this: http://www.fuelclinic.com/eco-driving-references/

Last edited by seifrob; 09-06-2016 at 03:30 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
DIY Electric Car Forums Site Home

EVTV Motor Verks - Custom Electric Car Conversion Instructional Videos
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
It is not the materials you are using but the effects from aerodynamic engineering that you are trying to emulate... that's what makes what we do both outlier and wicked cool: when it works we can show it with discipline. Don't look for other forums. Get the science. There is a noted book, often cited here by areohead by Hucho on the aerodynamics of road vehicles. Big authoritative summary of the sceince. Get a copy from your library. I did. Excellent. BIG book. Alternately, show them how the OEMs do lots of the same things. Do a google image search for "2013 chevy malibu aerodynamics" ... the image of the red Malibu with the various aero benefits of small changes fits with a lot of what is called "aerodynamic optimization," which is really what we are imitating a lot of the time.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
It is not the materials you are using but the effects from aerodynamic engineering that you are trying to emulate... that's what makes what we do both outlier and wicked cool: when it works we can show it with discipline.
Science? Actual results?

That's not just being an outlier, it's downright unMurrican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread